PDA

View Full Version : A Little Known or Forgotten Scam - Award or just getting your money??

scratchycat
12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
This always did seem suspicious to me and now I know why.

A small business operating in a large metropolitan area receives an AWARD with their company name and such honor received makes a person wonder just what. Okay, here are the facts as I have discovered by searching online.

COUNTRYVALUES65.COM (http://www.countryvalues65.com)

Here is a picture of the award:

WOW!! Impressive, right!! Hold on... Here is the link to website giving (?) these awards:

Home (http://www.uscaaward.com/DefaultUsca.aspx?)

notice the copyright at bottom of page...

Domain Name: USCAAWARD.COM
Registrar: MONIKER

Registrant [2061664]:
Kelly McCartney
228 Park Ave. S. Suite 22935
New York
NY
US

Administrative Contact [2061664]:
Kelly McCartney
New York
NY
US
Phone: +1.6463500843

Billing Contact [2061664]:
Kelly McCartney
New York
NY
US

Technical Contact [2061664]:
Kelly McCartney
New York
NY
US

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.DNSPARK.NET
NS2.DNSPARK.NET
NS3.DNSPARK.NET
NS4.DNSPARK.NET
NS5.DNSPARK.NET

Record created on: 2009-10-18 15:15:28.0
Database last updated on: 2009-10-18 15:25:28.72
Domain Expires on: 2010-10-18 15:15:29.0

Let's have a look at what Google brought up about Miss Kelly:

.WE WON! WE WON! Wait, WHAT?!?!?
Written by Kelli Camp on June 10, 2010 — 3 Comments Share0diggs
diggWe often get clients calling us and saying, “Hey, we got this email saying we won. Is this for real?” Well, CDKWeb is not immune. Although we HAVE been voted the Best Web Design Firm in St. Louis (not in St. Charles), this email is, unfortunately, definitely spam. Don’t be fooled by the fake name, COOL image (your company name is already on the award!) and official sounding lingo!

I am pleased to announce that CDKWEB.COM has been selected for the 2010 Best of St. Charles Award in the Web Site Design Service category by the US Commerce
In recognition of your achievement, a 2010 Best of St. Charles Award has been designed for display at your place of business. You may arrange to have your award sent directly to CDKWEB.COM by following the simple steps on the 2010 Best of St. Charles Award order form. Simply copy and paste this link into your browser to receive your award:

http://stcharles.uscommassoc.com/XXX

Each year, the US Commerce Association (USCA) identifies companies that we believe have achieved exceptional marketing success in their local community and business category. These are local companies that enhance the positive image of small business through service to their customers and community.

Also, a copy of the press release publicizing the selection of CDKWEB.COM has been posted on our website. The USCA hereby grants CDKWEB.COM a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, distribute, and display this press release in any media formats and through any media channels.

An Award Code has been assigned to your company that can be used on our website for quick access to your award information and press release.

Your
Award Code is: XXX

Sincerely,

Kelly McCartney
Board Of Review
US Commerce Association

The intended recipient of this notification is the Marketing Director for CDKWEB.COM. If you have received this email in error please forward it to the intended recipient. If you do not wish to receive further advertisements from USCA, please mail a written request to: US Commerce Association, 225 Park Ave. S., Suite 22935, New York, NY 10003 or simply click to opt-out.

So, unless you want to PAY the $180 required to “win” your award, just delete this one! We at CDKWeb hope posting this helps to save someone some trouble down the line! And remember, if you are concerned that the email you received is legit, give us a call. We’re here to help!

http://www.thesproutshout.com/?p=71

The Responsible Marketing Blog

where commerce and conscience come together
.Why Responsible Marketing?
»
Responsible Marketing GroupsSuggest a topic or ideaWho is Outsource Marketing?About Patrick Byers
»
Connect with Patrick ByersHave Patrick Byers speakSubscribe to RSS.You are here: Home > Awards for sale: Not a rewarding experience
Awards for sale: Not a rewarding experience
By Patrick Byers on July 22, 2008 in deceptive marketing, no trust
The Ballard Agency has won plenty of awards in their 45 year history, but this isn’t one they were interested in:

Chris Ballard, President of the the Bellevue-based insurance brokerage was surprised his company was selected. He’d never even heard of the U.S. Local Business Association.

Here’s the email he received, with hyperlinks removed:

I am pleased to announce that Ballard Agency has been selected for the 2008 Best of Bellevue Award in the Insurance category by the U.S. Local Business Association (USLBA).

In recognition of your achievement, a 2008 Best of Bellevue Award plaque has been designed for display at your place of business. You may arrange to have your award sent directly to Ballard Agency by following the simple steps on the 2008 Best of Bellevue Award order form.

The USLBA “Best of Local Business” Award Program recognizes outstanding local businesses throughout the country. Each year, the USLBA identifies companies that we believe have achieved exceptional marketing success in their local community and business category. These are local companies that enhance the positive image of small business through service to their customers and community.

Also, a copy of the press release publicizing the selection of Ballard Agency is posted on the USLBA website. USLBA hereby grants Ballard Agency a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, distribute, and display this press release in any media formats and through any media channels.

In order to provide you with the best possible service, you have been assigned an award code that can be used on our website for quick access to your award information and press release. If you have any questions or comments, please include this code with your correspondence.

Sincerely,

Ashley Carter
Selection Committee Chair
U.S. Local Business Association

After doing a little sleuthing, the folks at the Ballard Agency realized it was a marketing scheme to sell overpriced plaques.

Chris didn’t appreciate having his time wasted, but took the time to share it with me, and now you.

Here’s a marketing tactic I hate: Winning fake awards or being “nominated for a “who’s Who” list, and all you have to do is pay for $100 award!

Clearly, this is a deceptive marketing tactic in the same category as the phony domain name and Yellow Pages bills that are sent in hopes your A/P department will pay them in error.

“The only way they’d ever get our business is on accident,” says Ballard.

And that, my Responsible Marketing friends, is no way to grow a business.

So, have you or ever been targeted for one of these “faux-wards?”

Comment below to share your experience.

UPDATE: Let’s fight vanity scams together is a follow-up to this post.

Subscribe to this feed.

. . .

Full disclosure: Outsource Marketing is a Ballard Agency client.

Awards for sale: Not a rewarding experience | The Responsible Marketing Blog (http://responsiblemarketing.com/blog/2008/07/22/awards-for-sale-not-a-rewarding-experience)

Now where is that link to report scam??!!!!

scratchycat
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
What makes this even more sad to me that during this time period, supposedly these people were in dire straights.
http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/2461221/MikeandShirleyNeedYourHelpandSupport.aspx?flag=33

scratchycat
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
We all love to be noticed and honored for our achievements but when you have to PAY for awards, it is a crying shame that people get scammed into accepting them. Do you remember a company that wanted you to send in your poems and then they would accept them to be placed in a book with many others? So many people, including yours truly, got taken in by that scam. You would have to buy a copy of the book in order to have your poem mixed in with thousands of others. Bet, wait, it did not stop there!! For several hundred dollars you could attend a conference where you would meet publishers and you could also buy any award you wanted. Remember Poetry.com??

Is poetry.com a scam or legit? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080607145403AA3wtM0)

snopes.com: Poetry.com Scam (http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=81;t=000607;p=1)

With all the scams going on now undetected, Poetry.com has crawled back out of the hole and operating again.

Cached On:
2011-12-06 12:53:29

Registrar:
GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server:
whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL:
Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy (http://registrar.godaddy.com)
Create Date:
1996-10-15 00:00:00
Update Date:
2011-05-12 00:00:00
Expire Date:
2012-10-14 00:00:00
clientDeleteProhibited
clientRenewProhibited
clientTransferProhibited
clientUpdateProhibited
Nameserver:
dns1.stabletransit.com
Nameserver:
dns2.stabletransit.com
The data contained in GoDaddy.com, Inc.'s WhoIs database,
while believed by the company to be reliable, is provided "as is"
with no guarantee or warranties regarding its accuracy. This
information is provided for the sole purpose of assisting you
in obtaining information about domain name registration records.
Any use of this data for any other purpose is expressly forbidden without the prior written
permission of GoDaddy.com, Inc. By submitting an inquiry,
you agree to these terms of usage and limitations of warranty. In particular,
you agree not to use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise make possible,
dissemination or collection of this data, in part or in its entirety, for any
purpose, such as the transmission of unsolicited advertising and
and solicitations of any kind, including spam. You further agree
not to use this data to enable high volume, automated or robotic electronic
processes designed to collect or compile this data for any purpose,
including mining this data for your own personal or commercial purposes.

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
in the "registrant" field. In most cases, GoDaddy.com, Inc.
is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy (http://www.godaddy.com))
Domain Name: POETRY.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
DNS1.STABLETRANSIT.COM
DNS2.STABLETRANSIT.COM

For complete domain details go to:
Whois Lookup | Domain Availability - Registration Information (http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?Domain=POETRY.COM)

scratchycat
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Here it is:

CONTACT INFORMATION
Owner Jeff Franz
Email @circapress.com
Phone Numbers +1 410 356 2000, Fax: +1 410 356 9931
Address 1 Poetry Plaza
Owings Mills, MD 21117
US

How well I remember contributing to this even before internet. I bought maybe 3 books but never paid anything further. I understood the company was bought out so I am not sure what is happening with it now. Maybe some of you know more.

laidback
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I have over the years seen many "vanity" scams, and it is of course sad when people get taken in by them. As always the watchwords "if it seems too good ...! People have to suspend a lot of common sense to be taken in by these ripoffs. You should never have to pay to be given an award, and need to honestly ask yourself, "Did I really do something worthy of an award"? This is similar to the "You've won such and such Lotto"! Sorry, if you didn't enter you didn't win!
It is a shame that Michael and Shirley may have gotten taken if that is the implication here, BUT, also realize that they have come down on the Boggy side of the current conflict between Realscam and Bogdon. It is a real shame that any legitimate business people that may be left at Adland may suffer as a consequence of Bogdon Fiedurs' pettiness. JMHO.

scratchycat
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I have over the years seen many "vanity" scams, and it is of course sad when people get taken in by them. As always the watchwords "if it seems too good ...! People have to suspend a lot of common sense to be taken in by these ripoffs. You should never have to pay to be given an award, and need to honestly ask yourself, "Did I really do something worthy of an award"? This is similar to the "You've won such and such Lotto"! Sorry, if you didn't enter you didn't win!
It is a shame that Michael and Shirley may have gotten taken if that is the implication here, BUT, also realize that they have come down on the Boggy side of the current conflict between Realscam and Bogdon. It is a real shame that any legitimate business people that may be left at Adland may suffer as a consequence of Bogdon Fiedurs' pettiness. JMHO.

I totally agree with you Laidback. It is sad to see these 2 people get drawn into this the way they have. Actually, they had one of the maybe 2 actual businesses on there. Now they have contaminated it with Adlandpro.

scratchycat
12-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I will add I have never 'bought' an award for myself! :RpS_smile: I have a book or two with my poems in them that I have held on to. One of them actually had my poem as the very first one, could be because I reported them for not even sending it after it was ordered. I had learned my lesson by then.

Soapboxmom
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
The award Michael and Shirley Caron bought is quite fascinating. At that time they couldn't pay their bills? Did anyone else notice that Bogdan Fiedur, who has made a bundle off of the good trusting marks on Adlanpro, did not give them a penny in their time of need. Yet, this Michael character has made a complete fool out of himself speaking out on Bogdan's behalf. Some friend BottomFeeder has been to him. To Bogdan these folks are traffic numbers and they aren't astute enough to grasp that. And, if Adlandpro was the great advertising venue Bogdan and Maurice want you to think it is, how come these folks are destitute???:duh:

Sopaboxmom

scratchycat
12-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Mike and Shirley Need Your Help and Support6/26/2011 7:09:20 PM
Hi, Everyone!

I have created this Forum because Mike and I desperately need your help. We have a Disconnect Notice on our Water and Lights and we may end up without either one unless a Miracle happens and some Money comes our way. I realize that the Economy is hard on all of us and we sympathize with what everyone is having to go through. We ask you to help out with a couple of dollars and send it to my PayPal Account. The email to my Account is Songartist2010@inbox.com. We deeply appreciate whatever way that you can help us. Please keep us in your Prayers. We Love All Of You and God Bless All Of You!

Love and Peace

Shirley Caron

my response:

Burlin...

RE: Mike and Shirley Need Your Help and Support7/24/2011 9:56:29 PM
Shirley must have posted this when I was not aware, because I have also been trying to get in touch. By phone, SS messages and here - it would appear they are not able to use pc.

Surely there is help especially in this critical hot weather. I had thought and hoped things were better for them and Mike talked about being able to get fresh vegetables from the community garden.

It is a tough time for people on limited incomes but there are those who are thriving on their high-paid salaries plus Million dollar bonuses. The children are not getting meals this summer since they are not in school. Last year they were giving away food in parts of California and all they had to do was be there at the right time. With Repulicans running the House right now, those programs have been cut out - even affecting feeding the seniors has been cut. This country needs to recognize and take care of seniors. They helped make the nation what it is now by working all those years and doing their part. Now, with age, they are being kicked out of Healthcare, Dental & Vision care and even churches. Churches feel no need for hymnals anymore and many seniors don't know the new songs and the music has gotten to be so loud it is like attending a concert. These are the people who could add wisdom to a congregation but no one wants to listen.

Sorry to get off on this but just this morning at the small chuch I attended it was announced that our God's Store House was in desperate need of food to help feed people. It is a charity run by local churches and people donate items and they are given away as needed.

I know we are struggling and how much I would like to help others not only Shirley & Mike but many others. I do continue to pray for them and anyone who might be in a financial situation. Many of us have been there and never know when we might again.

Sara

in October:

GOD BLESS everyone who has responded to this forum in one way or another. I worded it that way because there are many who won't respond directly, but will respond on their own. The problems that Shirley and I are facing are only a prelude to what many people are or will be facing in the near future. We have most of our problems in check and are working on others. I have found out that the Red Cross helps out only in disaster situations like people being flooded out from natural disaters or situations of that nature. A neighbor has taken me to some food pantries, however if there is anyone in or around Indianapolis that could help us in that way I would gladly share the food with them. I called The United Way and we can probably get some Christmas help. Shirley and I do what we can to get something for each other, and we are okay with that, however I have six grandchildren who are all teenagers. Last year we did not have enough extra money to get them much and one of my Grand-daughters remarked, "That's okay. We didn't expect anything anyway." Although she was trying to be polite, it was like plunging a knife into my heart. Those that have, can never know how it feels for those that do not have. Shirley and I celebrated our 16th wedding Anniversary on August 19th. We spent it at home watching the Colts loose. I made up Hot Dogs and Rice. Shirley said that it was a strange combination. I explained that it is traditional that when a couple gets married people throw rice. I than told her that now was the time to eat that rice.
We will never be completely on our feet and that's okay. It is comforting to know that there are people who care enough to want to find some way to help. I have had a lot of time to reflect on things and I know that as long as I never give up, I will find a way to get us back on solid ground and hopefully help others do the same. The whole world is in a financial chaos right now and it is time that neighbors help each other. Pay it Forward and hope that when it comes time for you to need help, pray that others will pay it forward for you.
GOD BLESS YOU
~Mike~
Family Values Promotions (http://www.countryvalues65.com)

and it went on...

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, BOGDAN NEVER RESPONDED IN ANYWAY TO THIS FORUM!!! Nor did any of those people who are now supporting them soooooo much!!

scratchycat
12-12-2011, 09:57 AM
About Us

U.S. Commerce Association (USCA) is a New York based organization funded by local businesses operating in towns, large and small, across America. The purpose of USCA is to promote local business through public relations, marketing and advertising.

The USCA "Best of Local Business" Award Program recognizes outstanding local businesses throughout the country. Each year, the USCA identifies companies that they believe have achieved exceptional marketing success in their local community and business category. These are local companies that enhance the positive image of small business through service to their customers and community.

The USCA was established to recognize the best of local businesses in their community. Our organization works exclusively with local business owners, trade groups, professional associations, chambers of commerce and other business advertising and marketing groups. Our mission is to be an advocate for small and medium size businesses and business entrepreneurs across America.

USCA Vision

USCA has earned respect and loyalty by following a simple, three-part strategic vision.

1.Be the primary repository of the best in local business information and resources.
2.Attract the best people.
3.Promote the best practices in the industry.
https://www.uscaaward.com/AboutUsUsca.aspx?

The question was brought up again in Scam.com. Here is what was posted there:

Business Owners - be on the alert for an email that originates from "US Commerce Association" (USCA) info@us-commerce-assoc.com that reads as follows:

In recognition of your achievement, a 2009 Best of [Name of City] Award has been designed for display at your place of business. You may arrange to have your award sent directly to [Name of Business] by following the simple steps on the 2009 Best of [Name of City] Award order form. Simply copy and paste this link into your browser to receive your award:
[clickable hyperlink]

Each year, the US Commerce Association (USCA) identifies companies that we believe have achieved exceptional marketing success in their local community and business category. These are local companies that enhance the positive image of small business through service to their customers and community.

Also, a copy of the press release publicizing the selection of [Name of Business] has been posted on our website. The USCA hereby grants [Name of Business] a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, distribute, and display this press release in any media formats and through any media channels.

An Award Code has been assigned to your company that can be used on our website for quick access to your award information and press release.

Your Award Code is: XXXX-XXXX

Sincerely,

[Name of USCA official]
Selection Committee Chair
US Commerce Association

This so-called "Best of [Name of City] Award" from the USCA is meaningless. The company is merely out to sell plaques in a clever but shady little scheme. Don't fall for it.

US Commerce Association (http://scam.com/showthread.php?t=146301)

12-08-2011, 05:20 PM
US Commerce Association
Junior Member Join Date: Dec 2011

US Commerce Association is not Scam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, We do offer you the professional honor of this program. We NEVER ask for Credit Card information. I kindly recommend to say, Who told you to pay with Credit Card? I will ask the person, who did it and get on their case. Please refer to Terms of Service. Please Also Contact us via email and/or phone. US Commerce Association will Gladly accept your demands until they are met.

~President of US Commerce Association

There seems to be a need for more awareness of this fake scam. However, if people would use the brains God gave them, they would never fall for this type thing.

scratchycat
12-26-2011, 09:58 AM
They are sending out notices for 2012, so beware SMALL BUSINESSES!!

Thankfully I'm from a small town, so if there were some sort of award being offered by it, I'm sure it wouldn't come from a company in California. This is my "Second Notice" email. The first one had a different link to click on. But here's the "latest version" of it.
--------------------------------------
Earlier this year, I sent a notification email to you recognizing that Praksti's Pet Sitting Service has been selected for the 2011 Best of Oxford Award in the Pet Boarding & Sitting category by the US Commerce Association (USCA).

I'm sure that your selection as a 2011 Award Winner is a reflection of the hard work of not only yourself, but of many people that have supported your business and contributed to the subsequent success of your organization. Congratulations on your selection to such an elite group of small businesses.

In recognition of your achievement, a special 2011 Best of Oxford Award has been designed for display at your place of business. You may arrange to have your award sent directly to Praksti's Pet Sitting Service by following the simple steps on the 2011 Best of Oxford Award order form. Simply copy and paste this link into your browser to access the order form:
http://oxford.uscommasoc05.org/ADBC-KM2Q-CSSS

The USCA "Best of Local Business" Award Program recognizes outstanding local businesses throughout the country. Each year, the USCA identifies companies that we believe have achieved exceptional marketing success in their local community and business category. These are local companies that enhance the positive image of small business through service to their customers and community.

Also, a copy of the press release publicizing the selection of Praksti's Pet Sitting Service is posted on the USCA website
. USCA hereby grants Praksti's Pet Sitting Service a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, distribute, and display this press release in any media formats and through any media channels.

In order to provide you with the best possible service, you have been assigned an award code that can be used on our website for quick access to your award information and press release. If you have any questions or comments, please include this code with your correspondence.

Your Award Code is: DBC-KM2Q-CSSS

Click here to receive your award

http://oxford.uscommasoc05.org/ADBC-KM2Q-CSSS