PDA

View Full Version : Bethany College Network Marketing Curriculum and Center for Servant Leadership

Soapboxmom
06-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Network Marketing Curriculum and Center for Servant Leadership Added by Bethany College
http://www.bethanylb.edu/images/spacer.gif April 5, 2011
CONTACT Robert Carlson (carlsonr@bethanylb.edu), (785) 227-3380, ext. 8167

NETWORK MARKETING CURRICULUM AND CENTER FOR SERVANT LEADERSHIP ADDED BY BETHANY COLLEGE

LINDSBORG, Kan.— Bethany College will add a new network marketing curriculum in fall 2011. The program was created through Bethany’s new Center for Servant Leadership that promotes the awareness, understanding, and practice of servant leadership by individuals and organizations.

Bethany is the first institution to offer network marketing as a major. The program’s mission is to promote integrity, trust, and transparency in network marketing. Network marketing is an emerging business model that is under-represented in business education.

Robert Carlson, M.B.A., professor and chair of business, says, “Entrepreneurs have not been taught how to correctly use network marketing. This has led to many using unethical, unsustainable, and nonproductive network marketing business models. We want to fill the education gap and teach students how to use the foundations of servant leadership to successfully and honorably operate a network marketing business.”

The curriculum includes both classroom education and experience-based practicum with network marketing mentors. Students will learn business practices, planning requirements, compensation plan variables, product distribution processes, marketing and advertising methods, and industry trends.

Bethany will offer both a major in marketing with emphasis in network marketing and a certificate in network marketing. The major is earned with 56 to 57 credit hours, and the certificate is earned with 15 credit hours.

The Center for Servant Leadership was founded on Robert Greenleaf’s characteristics of a servant leader, and its objectives include instilling servant leadership as an interdisciplinary activity, emphasizing responsibility to community, developing leadership skills, and creating sustainable funding sources for program activities. Servant leadership is one of Bethany’s five core values.

The Center will act as an umbrella organization to houseservant leadership programs and activities. Carlson will lead these programs as the recently-appointed special assistant to the president for innovation and new ventures. Carlson will help identify and implement projects that meet students’ needs and add educational value.

Bethany College, established by Swedish Lutheran immigrants in 1881, is a college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The mission of Bethany College is to educate, develop and challenge individuals to reach for truth and excellence as they lead lives of faith, learning and service. Bethany College is on the Web at www.bethanylb.edu (http://www.bethanylb.edu).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A school to teach folks how to scam others? How quaint. Servant leadership is the biggest red flag. If it has to be cloaked in Christianity that tells us it is a bum deal to begin with.

MLM by its very nature is inherent fraud. Why would we want to teach that??? 97% or more in any given opportunity are doomed to lose money. It is a mathematical certainty. It takes a tremendous number of folks paying in to line the pockets of the selct few at the top of a pyramid.

What a sad statement about the state of education in our country that a college thought MLM was a legitimate course of study.

Soapboxmom

littleroundman
06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Read it and weep, people,

read it and weep:

by Len Clements » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 pm Bethany College is offering a degree in Marketing, with an emphasis on multilevel marketing. Also, they are developing a formal online certificate course that will focus on MLM.

I am working with Bethany College as their consultant on this project. I will be interviewing David Frost, the Assistant Director of their Business Department, on my "Inside Network Marketing" podcast in a few days. The primary purpose of this interview is to offer more clarity to what Bethany is developing and to address any questions or concerns, such as those that have been posed within this thread. If you should have any others, please forward them to me at MarketWave@xxx.net and I will attempt to have them addressed during the interview.

Thanks.

Len Clements
MarketWave, Inc.

Soapboxmom
06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
I am rolling on the floor laughing. Didn't Lenny boy get an associates degree from the less than illistrious Heald College? How does a two year certificate in any way qualify him to have any involvement in a four year bachelor's degree program????

And, who in their right mind would spend tens of thousands on a college degree in a field where 97% or more are statistically doomed to lose money. I am sure we can expect a mind numbing multi-page diatribe from Lenny on this. Yikes!!!

Soapboxmom

EagleOne
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Wonder if they will have a course devoted to Kevin Trudeau? :RpS_scared: I also wonder if Rod Cook and Len are battling it out over who is the best expert to advise them? :RpS_ohmy:

littleroundman
06-19-2011, 06:47 AM
As is usual, the story of the MLM degree has received a Len Clements School of Spin makeover and the facts bear little or no relation to the truth.

Here's the headline, direct from Lennys' page HERE (http://www.marketwaveinc.com/viewalert.asp?id=153)

College to Offer Course in MLM
Accredited Marketing Degree to Emphasize Network MarketingHOWEVER,

a quick check of Lennys' own podcast (http://www.marketwaveinc.com/AudioLibrary/rs/17-INM%286-10-11%29.mp3) interview with David Smith, Associate Professor of Business at Bethany College, reveals that, in fact, what Bethany College intends to do is include a THREE HOUR credit course on network marketing in its' FOUR YEAR marketing course.

That would be 3 HOURS to cover the history, theory and reality.

Bethany also intends to offer students 'Practicum" or "mentoring" with approved network marketers, should they so desire it.

IOW,

as is usual with most of the shock and awe announcements which issue forth from the keyboards of so many MLM "gurus": the hype far exceeds the reality.

Education standards may have sunk to an all time low in the Western World, but, thankfully, there ARE still limits on how low it can go.

Doc Bunkum
06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't freely admit it on line, but Lenny has no problem stating (http://zdanisusanapowerteam.blogspot.com/2011/06/bethany-college-adds-network-marketing.html)...

I once taught a class in network marketing for four consecutive Tuesday nights at UNLV. The catalogue that listed my class also listed classes in UFOlogy and Tarot Card reading.

Why am I not at all surprised? :RpS_laugh:

littleroundman
06-22-2011, 10:10 AM
I've long held the belief that many fraudsters are afflicted with a severe ego driven case of "verbal diarrhea

IOW, they have an almost insane need to run off at the mouth, ESPECIALLY when their egos are prodded or they are given a platform.

This from the same source quoted by the Doc in his post:

If this business is so simple, and so easy, and practically everyone already possesses the knowledge and skills to execute it correctly and effectively -- then why do over 95% of them fail at it? I'm not suggesting network marketing is not relatively simpler, easier, and less financially risky than most conventional businesses, and it does offer myriad other benefits and advantages, as described in my Case Closed! CD. But the simple fact is, the vast majority of MLMers fail to even earn a profit because the vast majority simply don't do what they are suppose to do, well enough, long enough.

Why, indeed, Lipster, why indeed ???

I'll bet they don't quote those figures at your average "let me show you a plan" MLM recruitment meetings.

I wonder where it is all that "95% of them who fail" got the idea they were on the path to riches beyond their wildest dreams.

Just where did they get the idea "if I can do it, anyone can" one might ask.

Imagine, all of those millions of failed MLMers around the world, and they ALL are supposed to have spontaneously came up with the idea they were gonna make a squillion bucks by just "following the plan" and "use our items and share the opportunity with friends and family" and "find two who find two"

Could it be that MLM has a bad reputation because it gave itself a bad reputation by spouting nonsense about potential earnings and how easy it is ???

Or did all the "failures" come up with the same misconceptions about MLM accidentally all on their own ???

We've all seen "bait-and-switch" marketing in operation before, but this is bloody ridiculous.

30 or 40 years of pictures of luxury lifestyles wads of cash and diagrams of how "easy" it is, and NOW their self appointed industry leaders are saying it's not entirely true and there might just be a bit more to it ???