PDA

View Full Version : Remembering my hero, dale earnhardt

Theophilus
02-19-2011, 02:36 AM
I was always a big NASCAR fan, even as a young child.

Dale Earnhardt was a hero of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3zLbu2Ac7U

I don't know why the name showed up in little caps in the thread tittle as I had put them in big caps.

baylee
02-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Dale was my favorite also. I used to have a standing bet on Dale with my neighbor for a dollar on who would beat the other, Dale or Jeff Gordon. It didn't matter what race or who won just which one was ahead of the other. I also have lots of his memorabilia.

Eddie Haskell
02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I remember this like it was yesterday. IM am a long time bill elliott fan. Dale helpelp him and many dont know it. Dale was so generous with money. Dale helped Bill with money and tires and most dont know it and its never talled about.

I was not a Dale Earharnt fan but I respected him. He was a diirty driver but he gave money and tires out to those who needed help. He gave away money he made like candy. Read Bill Elliotts book. Dale helped Bill out big tiime. He gave Bill tires when they could not afford them. Bill beat the 3 team that weakend and paid Dale back. Richard childress was not happy but Dale tole him he was in the same situation years back. Im no fan but Dale was a racers racer. He wanted to beat you and money meant little to him.

RIP and Go Bill and ChaSE eLLIOT.

Edit: I want to add Chase Elliott had been signed by Hendricksl Morotor sports and thats a huge deal. That is huge and this kid is 15. Rick sees somthing in him. This kid is the real deal. this kid is 15 and the real deal. Rick Hendcricks thiinks so anyway.

T hey will be running Chevrfolets. (gasp) but I cazn live with it. I will deal with it. IM pulling hard for the Elliots not matter what.

Ford let another get away. Chase is just top notch. The let him get away.

baylee
02-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I remember this like it was yesterday. IM am a long time bill elliott fan. Dale helpelp him and many dont know it. Dale was so generous with money. Dale helped Bill with money and tires and most dont know it and its never talled about.

I was not a Dale Earharnt fan but I respected him. He was a diirty driver but he gave money and tires out to those who needed help. He gave away money he made like candy. Read Bill Elliotts book. Dale helped Bill out big tiime. He gave Bill tires when they could not afford them. Bill beat the 3 team that weakend and paid Dale back. Richard childress was not happy but Dale tole him he was in the same situation years back. Im no fan but Dale was a racers racer. He wanted to beat you and money meant little to him.

RIP and Go Bill and ChaSE eLLIOT.

Edit: I want to add Chase Elliott had been signed by Hendricksl Morotor sports and thats a huge deal. That is huge and this kid is 15. Rick sees somthing in him. This kid is the real deal.

I read about Hendricks signing of Chase, not only does he have the pedigree but he has been proving his talent also. He will be a good one for sure.

Dale helped Swerven Irvin also along with many others. As D W said on TV last night that Dale didn't want the good things that he did to get out because it hurt his reputation.

Eddie Haskell
02-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Dale was a totaly different person off the track. I hated him at the time on the track. He would pull out his check book and help anybody even competitors like Bill Elliott. The guy was generous as he could be. Most of us never hear about that. Dale was a good person off the track. He would try to help anybody. He is from the era of racing that he never fogort where he came from or how he go there. He actutally knew how to work on cars because he had to learn how to survive. I admire those drivers.

We sure miss him and nobody can fill his shoes. Chase Elliott is one to watch. This kid is winning everything coming and going. I thought maybe his Dad (Bill) was setting up the cars but at some point you have to give the kid credit. Rick Henricks obviously thinks he has some talent and they is saying a whole bunch imo. Rick singned the kid up Im sure with his parents blessings and boy what a shot in the arm that is for Chase. Ford let this kid get away. Idiots.

I will be watching the 500 Sunday and pulling for my man Bill Elliott in a (gasp Chevrolet) for the first time ever. I have always been for the man and not the car. Im sticking with him till he retires even if he drives a Yugo. I pulled for him when he Drove Fords and then Dodges and now a (gag) Chevy. Keep your eye out on Chase. This kid is the real deal and even Rick Hencricks thinks so.

Bill is 55 and the oldest guy in the field but he can still drive and get it done. He has had a hell of a career and he by himself put Ford back on the map back in 80's. They have dumped him twice and that has not made me happy at all. It has come back to bite them. The old man can still get it done. I will always remember him driving the number 9 Coors/Melling Ford Thunderbird on the superspeedways and just kicking everybodiys ass. http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1N2dl8TgJU-USZQxmvvFvIiEi7oBQFeOYRgLaEGKFZ3uFkYW0

Doc Bunkum
02-20-2011, 07:32 AM
The 500 is shaping up to be a real yawner today - at least until the final lap.

Doesn't look like we'll be getting much pack racing.

I know his best days are behind him, and he didn't win once last year,:RpS_mad: so dammit, Jeff Gordon is due for a win and Daytona is as good a spot as any to break his losing streak. :RpS_smile:

Eddie Haskell
02-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Doesn't look like we'll be getting much pack racing.

I know his best days are behind him, and he didn't win once last year,:RpS_mad: so dammit, Jeff Gordon is due for a win and Daytona is as good a spot as any to break his losing streak. :RpS_smile:

We are racing cooling systems this year thanks the nascar and the France mafiia. That plus the restrictor plates and we have a mess. thanks nascar.

And they wonder why ratings have gone down the tubes.

Doc Bunkum
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Exactly.

I see Waltrip turned a lap of 206 mph, so what does NASCAR do?

Issue smaller restrictor plates to keep the speed down.

I remember Dale Earnhardt saying, "If you've got feathers under your gas pedal, you've got no business being in this sport".

Heck, Rusty Wallace reached a top-end speed of 228 miles per hour on the backstretch at Talladega in his Miller Lite Dodge back in 2004 with the restrictor plate removed.

Now that's what I call racing! :RpS_smile:

littleroundman
02-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Just couldn't bear being shown up by an Australian, could you ????

It's a pity 14 other guys got taken out at the same time, just to get rid of Marcus.

Theophilus
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
The ending wound up being pretty cool with Trevor winning it in the Wood Brothers Ford.

The thing about how they restricted the air flow to the car forcing the drivers to have to switch position back and forth created a dangerous situation, with a drop off in speed of 15 to 20 mph when that was done. Normally cars have to follow close together in the draft, but nothing like I saw today. The drivers had to had to stay glued together to make speed. The second someone checked up even slightly a wreck would ensue, because the pushing car could not possibly react in time.

Therefore we had a record number of cautions in this Daytona 500.

I understand the reason for restrictor plates, the plates are not just there for the safety of the drivers, but for the safety of the fans. There is the very real threat of a car flying into stands if left unrestricted.

With the new track surface, everyone has a lot to learn. I would expect that nascar will make changes that will make the July race at Daytona much better for the drivers and the fans.

Theophilus
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Just couldn't bear being shown up by an Australian, could you ????

It's a pity 14 other guys got taken out at the same time, just to get rid of Marcus.

Marcus is a very talented driver, there is no doubt about that. I would be shocked if he didn't win at least a couple of races this year.

It was not Marcus they were tying to take out it was Jimmy. Marcus sadly got caught up in the wreck.

Eddie Haskell
02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Well, bill Elliott finished 12th in a no name team by a single team owner. They do run Henricks engines but have zero help. He beat a lot of big name teams by himself. At 55 say what you ill but that is darn imressive. Good Job Bill. Im proud of you.

baylee
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I enjoyed Trever winning the race and while Daytona is my favorite racetrack to visit, it is one of my least favorite races, Tallidega ranks right along side of it. One small mishap takes out half the field and there will be more than one small mishap. Good luck or bad luck plays too large part in winning. Bristol is my favorite, bumping and banging with tempers flaring and nobody gets hurt.

Doc Bunkum
02-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah, that race didn't end up so bad after all.

Too bad some of the main contenders got taken out early though.

Just checked to see what the odds were on Bayne winning, and according to oddsmakers at online sports book SBGGLOBAL.com, Bayne had 80/1 odds to win Sunday’s race, meaning a $100 wager on him payed out an additional $8,000.

Gee, if only we had known. :RpS_smile:

Theophilus
02-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Yeah, that race didn't end up so bad after all.

Too bad some of the main contenders got taken out early though.

Just checked to see what the odds were on Bayne winning, and according to oddsmakers at online sports book SBGGLOBAL.com, Bayne had 80/1 odds to win Sunday’s race, meaning a $100 wager on him payed out an additional $8,000.

Gee, if only we had known. :RpS_smile:

It would of been difficult to place a bet on someone in only there second race in the cup series. It probably would of had a different outcome if was not for that big wreck.
IMO.