PDA

View Full Version : Shooting central

laidback
02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
First off, despite liberal media slant to the contrary, law abiding gun owners are not wild eyed rednecks that want to kill everything or are compensating for feelings of inadequacy. Some enjoy guns and shooting as a hobby, some carry firearms as a necessity. If you don't like firearms or feel citizens shouldn't have them,this probably isn't the thread for you.

A Life Aloft
02-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I only have four weapons. I don't believe that private citizens need military style weapons either.

The weapon I use at home is a Browning BDA 380. Bought it back in the 80's. It's a wonderful gun. Compact, well balanced, great feel, simple to use, very accurate and very reliable. 12 round clip standard. I have two of the pre-banned 13 clips, so 13 in the clip plus one in the chamber. They can still be purchased. The safety engages and disengages very smoothly and quickly. Recoil is very mild. I have never had a jam or misfire or feed issue. Now a days everyone talking about hi calibers, hi tech guns, glock this, glock that, but I appreciate a well made, good looking classic pistol, the way they should always have been. It just oozes craftmanship and class, something that's lacking in many modern tactical wunderguns IMO. I'm just old school.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0a/BrowningBDA380.jpg/400px-BrowningBDA380.jpg

For traveling, .45 colt combat commander

http://colt-combat-commander.good-choise.com/series-70-combat-commander450.jpg

Stable, rugged, classic, dependable, and accurate.

I also have a Browning Challenger 22 long rifle for fun and target plinking.

http://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/488/29450/Detail/13.jpg

and a Churchill Windsor III side by side 12 gauge shotgun that I use for skeet shooting.

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/islandwinds4me/shotgun.jpg

okosh
02-11-2011, 02:45 PM
If you don't like firearms or feel citizens shouldn't have them,this probably isn't the thread for you.

Thank G-d I live in Australia where most people are smart enough to realize that they have no need for guns....Where it took us just the one mass killing to get rid of all the high powered weapons....

Thank You to Martin Bryant and former Prime Minister John Howard for allowing me to be safe in my own country :RpS_smile:

Rant Off :RpS_wink:

laidback
02-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Thank G-d I live in Australia where most people are smart enough to realize that they have no need for guns....Where it took us just the one mass killing to get rid of all the high powered weapons....

Thank You to Martin Bryant and former Prime Minister John Howard for allowing me to be safe in my own country :RpS_smile:

Rant Off :RpS_wink:
If that works for you then I am happy for you. What too often happens, at least here is that authorities take away guns from honest folk and only criminals have guns. How AU has solved that problem I don't know...

A Life Aloft
02-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Rant Off :RpS_wink:So no one in AUS ever goes hunting, target shoots, skeet or trap shoots or has had their home or business invaded by criminals with guns or been car jacked or robbed on the street by armed men? No one ever participates in historical re-enactments that include bearing arms? No one collects military weapons or other collectible arms? No one competes in any shooting type contests/events? Even for the Olympics? Are there no armed gangs there which causes people to feel they need protection? In this country, we have the Constitutional right to bear arms, thankfully and for all the reasons listed above. Glad that it works for you, but it would not work in this country.

Doc Bunkum
02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I suppose Canada is in a similar situation as Australia.

Guns aren't that big a deal up here.

Knives happen to be the weapon of choice for most robberies.

Give me a pair of Sinawali sticks or broom handles to handle that eventuality, thank you very much.

A sharp smack on the knuckles or wrist is about all it takes to make a thug change his mind.

And there's nothing illegal about having a pair of wooden sticks with you - nunchucks, yes.

I read about a guy that tried to fend off a robber with a pair of nunchucks. He got the crap beaten out of him, his wallet and car stolen - and was charged by the cops for possessing an illegal weapon. Talk about having a bad day! :RpS_cursing:

http://bigstickcombat.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/dog-bros1.jpg?w=152&h=174

A Life Aloft
02-11-2011, 03:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Doc Bunkum
02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Pay particular attention to the 12 sec mark of this clip! :RpS_wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwM_r-z3QI

littleroundman
02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
So no one in AUS ever goes hunting, target shoots, skeet or trap shoots or has had their home or business invaded by criminals with guns or been car jacked or robbed on the street by armed men? No one ever participates in historical re-enactments that include bearing arms? No one collects military weapons or other collectible arms? No one competes in any shooting type contests/events? Even for the Olympics? Are there no armed gangs there which causes people to feel they need protection? In this country, we have the Constitutional right to bear arms, thankfully and for all the reasons listed above. Glad that it works for you, but it would not work in this country.

There's the rub.

It's far too complex a subject to discuss in depth or accurately on a forum, BUT,

it IS entirely different here, and largely DOES work.

It's by no means perfect here, but comparing the gun situation in Australia and the US is totally apples and oranges, chalk and cheese and NOTHING alike.

Every aspect of the gun situation is different, beginning with the constitutional right to bear arms.

A Life Aloft
02-11-2011, 07:41 PM
There's the rub.

It's far too complex a subject to discuss in depth or accurately on a forum, BUT,

it IS entirely different here, and largely DOES work.

It's by no means perfect here, but comparing the gun situation in Australia and the US is totally apples and oranges, chalk and cheese and NOTHING alike.

Every aspect of the gun situation is different, beginning with the constitutional right to bear arms.You are exactly right and that is why pointing fingers and saying well we don't have such and such here and don't need guns and we were saved and our citizens are more enlightened, is pretty meaningless when discussing arms in this country. They are a huge part of our history and culture, a protected Constitutional right, very regulated, even down to ammunition and sadly here, most criminals are very well armed and often more well armed than our own law enforcement officers and we have far too many deaths of LEOS in this country because of that. We also have severe issues with well armed gangs and especially in Texas and Arizona of armed illegal criminals coming over the border from Mexico and murdering and shooting at US citizens. It's huge in those two states. There is still a tremdous amount of hunting done in this country and there are very rural areas where one actually needs protection from some wild animals. I learned that lesson well, in Alaska. Plus, there are dozens and dozens of historical reenactment events from the pioneer days, the days of the old west, the Alamo, the Civil war, the Revolutionary war etc., that take place in this country every year and draw huge crowds. Many, many people have saved their own lives and the lives of their loved ones here because they were armed and able to fend off criminals. We won't even get into terrorism. There is a special government program for pilots to take, get certified and arm themselves and many of them have since 9/11, believe me. It is simply not broadcast to the general flying public. That and the huge increase of armed Air Marshalls on commercial flights. So comparisons to other nations just don't work here.

laidback
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I suppose Canada is in a similar situation as Australia.

Guns aren't that big a deal up here.

Knives happen to be the weapon of choice for most robberies.

Give me a pair of Sinawali sticks or broom handles to handle that eventuality, thank you very much.

A sharp smack on the knuckles or wrist is about all it takes to make a thug change his mind.

And there's nothing illegal about having a pair of wooden sticks with you - nunchucks, yes.

I read about a guy that tried to fend off a robber with a pair of nunchucks. He got the crap beaten out of him, his wallet and car stolen - and was charged by the cops for possessing an illegal weapon. Talk about having a bad day! :RpS_cursing:

http://bigstickcombat.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/dog-bros1.jpg?w=152&h=174

When I was much younger and considerably more athletic, I had no problem going to the mat with anybody, but at this point those capabilities are long gone.

Theophilus
02-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

laidback
02-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

That's a big 10-4 RubberDucky...!

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 01:02 AM
In my part of the country they are as common as going to the kitchen and getting a fork out of the drawer. Everybody owns them and nobody gives it a second thought. I own a bunch and it got to the point I bought a big safe years ago. I grew up around them and was taught how to handle them. Im not a hunter but I enjoy target shooting. I am not a big pistol person either but I do own two. A Ruger P89 9mm and a Ruger MkII 22 auto. I have the 15 shot clips for the 9mm. Im not into assault type weapons either. Everybody that owns guns are not crazy. I respect others opinions but Im glad we have the right to have them here.

http://http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY6DdTprOn_our8b2ksSWSOS-AsJjBVCaSItJL4LLPdShBKbW2vA

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSczget1bmJtFkw8gA1bUkRidSBLaCZG cv1Xmnl4oLsqmEJXalS

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Here is the P89 9mm.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrYI4rftz221FNgNiiRcvtf3jwT8UYH xAbZTlTmfpOOxtDWRKA

There are a lot of slicker pistols out there but its hard to beat a Ruger anything for the money. They are as tough as nails from my experience.

A Life Aloft
02-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Here is the P89 9mm.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrYI4rftz221FNgNiiRcvtf3jwT8UYH xAbZTlTmfpOOxtDWRKA

There are a lot of slicker pistols out there but its hard to beat a Ruger anything for the money. They are as tough as nails from my experience.That Ruger is a very reliable weapon. Rugged, hefty and beefy. I imagine it will absorb much of the recoil because of that. Very sturdy. It's not about fancy, it's about being dependable and well made and that gun is a very good choice in it's price range.

okosh
02-12-2011, 01:20 AM
If that works for you then I am happy for you. What too often happens, at least here is that authorities take away guns from honest folk and only criminals have guns. How AU has solved that problem I don't know...

John Howard got rid of the high powered weopons which went a long way to solving the problems....

So no one in AUS ever goes hunting, target shoots, skeet or trap shoots or has had their home or business invaded by criminals with guns or been car jacked or robbed on the street by armed men? No one ever participates in historical re-enactments that include bearing arms? No one collects military weapons or other collectible arms? No one competes in any shooting type contests/events? Even for the Olympics? Are there no armed gangs there which causes people to feel they need protection? In this country, we have the Constitutional right to bear arms, thankfully and for all the reasons listed above. Glad that it works for you, but it would not work in this country.

Guns are controlled here and hard to get....People do go hunting but it's slowing down with less and less each year.....
The sale of toy guns barely even exist in my state following the Martyn Bryant incident....Folks down here don't let their kids even play with guns...
There is a gun store close by to me....They'd have gone broke years ago except for the fact that they now sell discount smokes....

Of course we have target shoots as our Gold Olympic medalists are proof of....
Yes there are collectors of old and low powered guns....
No we don't have armed gangs on every street corner so no we don't need guns to protect ourselves....
carjackings are rare as hens teeth....Hardly ever happens....
Crooks do manage to get some guns....But the penalties for possesion of an illegal gun are harsh....
Armed robbery does happen though mostly with a knife or loaded needle
Cops carry guns.....Security guards don't....
Farmers have guns for shooting roos and foxes but that's all heavily controlled....

The bottom line is that you can't go out and buy a gun on any street corner down here...
And when someone in the street asks you what time it is you can stop to answer without fear of them pulling a gun on you :RpS_wink:

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Around here the criminals always have cheap saturday night special type guns. Most of them will never be caught with a nice Browning or Smith and Wesson. Instead they carry cheap junky make crap. Its funny how that works. They dont know quality nor appreciate it.

Its interesting that Australia has outlawed weapons. I have never been there and its hard to imagine living in the states. It simply would not work here. There are so many out there that you could never confiscate them all anyway. Not to mention the uprising from the people. It would be WW3. People drive around here with (redneck racks) in their trucks with high powered rifles hung in the back window and nobody gives it a second thought. I personally know a lot of'people who carry pistols (legally) every where they go. I dont myself but it doesnt bother me in the least. One of my good friends who I ride motorcycles with always is packing heat when we take a trip and to be honest it makes me feel better.

Its an interesting topic and I have found that in the states at least it depends on what part of the country you live in. I live in the south so its more of a normal thing than say living in the north east.

Sorry for making three posts but I could not get the pictures to work in the first two for some reason and then had other thoughts.

A Life Aloft
02-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Okosh, I don't believe that anyone here has stated anything about armed gangs on every street corner in this country did they? Nor can weapons be bought on any street corner here. You have some serious misconceptions. I have never heard of anyone pulling a gun on someone because they asked them for the time of day either or anyone being worried about such an inane scenario. Really...... silly and ridiculous cheap shots, especially about our country, do not further the enjoyment of this thread for anyone. As the OP suggested, "If you don't like firearms or feel citizens shouldn't have them, this probably isn't the thread for you." I in no way mean to offend you, but I don't think you have a grasp on firearms in this country, legal or illegal. I don't think any of us really care to debate that either. What works in your country simply would not work here and we accept and understand that. Again, I am glad that your system works for you. It's simply a thread to share about weapons and an appreciation of them. I don't believe it was intended to be anything else or cause a big rigmarole nor a discussion of what country's system is better. There is no better, only different.

okosh
02-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Okosh, I don't believe that anyone here has stated anything about armed gangs on every street corner in this country did they? Nor can weapons be bought on any street corner here. You have some serious misconceptions.

Guess I just watch too much TV :RpS_unsure:

littleroundman
02-12-2011, 01:51 AM
As okosh and I have both pointed out, the whole situation is totally different here.

An often forgotten fact is that, although Australia is close in size to mainland America, we have a population of around 23 million, compared to the 320 plus million people in the US.

Whats more, over 60% of the Australian population lives within the major cities and, from memory, around 70% of the entire population lives within 40 kilometers of the coast.

IOW, there's a shi****d of uninhabited land.

Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland and the third most populous city in Oz occupies an area of 918/km² (2,377.6/sq miles) compared to the city of New York which covers 468.9 sq mi (1,214.4 km2)

Brisbane is, in fact, near the top of the list of worlds' largest in area cities.

Yet, Brisbane has a population of around 2 million, compared to New Yorks' 8,391,881 million.

More importantly, there is no significant gun culture here.

There is a handful of hunters, gun clubs exist, gun shops are becoming increasingly rare.

In the city in which I live, I think there's one or two indoor gun ranges available to the public.

They are heavily regulated and patrons can only use the weapons provided, IOW, they can't bring their own guns.

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 01:52 AM
John Howard got rid of the high powered weopons which went a long way to solving the problems....

Guns are controlled here and hard to get....People do go hunting but it's slowing down with less and less each year.....
The sale of toy guns barely even exist in my state following the Martyn Bryant incident....Folks down here don't let their kids even play with guns...
There is a gun store close by to me....They'd have gone broke years ago except for the fact that they now sell discount smokes....

Of course we have target shoots as our Gold Olympic medalists are proof of....
Yes there are collectors of old and low powered guns....
No we don't have armed gangs on every street corner so no we don't need guns to protect ourselves....
carjackings are rare as hens teeth....Hardly ever happens....
Crooks do manage to get some guns....But the penalties for possesion of an illegal gun are harsh....
Armed robbery does happen though mostly with a knife or loaded needle
Cops carry guns.....Security guards don't....
Farmers have guns for shooting roos and foxes but that's all heavily controlled....

The bottom line is that you can't go out and buy a gun on any street corner down here...
And when someone in the street asks you what time it is you can stop to answer without fear of them pulling a gun on you :RpS_wink:

Thats very interesting. We dont have much crime where I live except for some petty robberys like breaking into cars and stealing radios and such. However, in the bigger cities its a bit different and you have to be on your guard depending on what part of town you are in. I am amazed how the Aussies have pulled this off. As much as we are alike in so many ways we are different in this respect.

Recently, a guy down in Texas caught two guys breaking into his neighbors home stealing his neighbors Tv. The robbers cut across his yard in the process and he dropped both of them with a 12 gauge shotgun. They prosecuted this guy for murder and when it went to trial the jury laughed at them and turned the guy loose saying he saved the taxpayers millions of dollars. That would not happen in a liberal state like say California but if your in Texas you better watch out. Somebody might pop a cap in your ass. It deters crime imo. This can be debated till the cows come home and has been but I like our laws here at least about gun control anyway. I am all for keep guns out of nuts hands but there are so many out there I dont think it can be enforced.

What happened down in Tucson AZ a while back could happen anywhere imo. No law would have prevented it. The guy was a kook. Criminals will always find a way to get guns and use them for illegal activities. I think we get a bad name sometimes because of events like this but I promise the vast majority of gun owners are very responsible people. I had guns growing up and the thought never crossed my mind to take one to school. I was more interested in girls. I am referring to the Columbine School shootings. Again, I dont know how you stop something like this. Its a price we pay I guess but I think in the end Im thankful we have the right to arms. Im not some nut job that is into assault weapons either. I like the finer pieces that are quality built.

A lot of folks collect guns kinda like people buy antiques. My Father does this and he has more than I could count. He finds old guns that he wanted when he was a kid at yard sales, gun shows, or where ever and buys them up. IN a way, they are like money in the bank. There is a strong market for older guns in decent shape. I am all about technology but they really dont make them like they used to. My favorite 22 rifle of all time is the Remington 510 Targetmaster. Perfectly balanced and simple and anybody can shoot one of these with good results. This was the gun I learned to shoot with and I have it still today. It was given to me by my Father and my Grandfather bought it new for 7 dollars. It is in mint condition and it is priceless to me. Its my favorite 22 of all time.

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Here is the 510.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjtTl1OizJ6-AtLD2M-HB_AozERCYIOkTiKN35A7ADNjxuypUnfA

okosh
02-12-2011, 02:17 AM
but I think in the end Im thankful we have the right to arms.

This is a main difference between our countries....There seem to be a majority of Americans who are thankful for their right to arms....
Here in Australia the vast majority see no need to have arms.....

Whilst it's true that America does have influence on what we watch on TV, the clothes we wear, we music we listen to and so on the fact of the matter is that our 2 countries couldn't be more different....

Theophilus
02-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Well now that this has got political, I feel I may as well share a video I found about a month ago.

This video shows how some people from the UK and Australia lament the loss of their gun rights.

Once you give up these rights, you will never ever get them back.

In America we would never give up our rights to own guns, ever. In this video there is some woman politician who is really smug in her belief on the subject of gun control. There are not many things that upset me more than some damn politician that thinks they know better then the rest of us.

All I can really say is some gave up those rights and you will never get them back..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnRCyKnrZnc

A Life Aloft
02-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Well back to the subject at hand.......Eddie do you get to do much target plinking? I haven't for a while but I enjoy going out to the desert, in the boonies with some paper targets, cans, plastic bottles and just plinking away. Cheap and pretty fun. Good way to unwind and relieve some stress. I prefer that to any indoor range (haven't been to one of those in ages) and outdoor ranges are okay - but I still like just being out in the sticks without too many other distractions or people.

A Life Aloft
02-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Wow, Theo. That video says it all doesn't it? Really troubling. Also, a great lesson for us here.

Theophilus
02-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Wow, Theo. That video says it all doesn't it? Really troubling. Also, a great lesson for us here.

It does, it was hard to watch all these law abiding citizens, these good people lose their right to own guns.

Restricting peoples right to own firearms will not reduce crime at all. The criminal will get the gun, and there is no stopping that.

If those of you who support gun control don't believe that, just look at the disaster that is the war on drugs. People get their drugs don't they? People will get guns if they want them.

Lets hope that those of you who love gun control and don't own guns at all, never hear the glass breaking in your house.

Followed by the sound of your door opening, you call the police, you hear the footsteps coming towards you. You have no chance, the police will not get there in time.

The world will never get rid of firearms ever. The criminals will get them no matter what.

Protecting yourself is a right.

Anyone want to tell me otherwise?

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Well back to the subject at hand.......Eddie do you get to do much target plinking? I haven't for a while but I enjoy going out to the desert, in the boonies with some paper targets, cans, plastic bottles and just plinking away. Cheap and pretty fun. Good way to unwind and relieve some stress. I prefer that to any indoor range (haven't been to one of those in ages) and outdoor ranges are okay - but I still like just being out in the sticks without too many other distractions or people.

Dude, I love to plink. Semebody wiill find a way to make fun of this no doubt.

I have shot brticks leterally thorugth my Mk IK and my Remington 550-1. I love them both. What fun they are both are. I love to shoot no mater the caliber.

IM all about having fun and shooting is part of it. Come on down here and I will teach yoiu and we can have some fun.

littleroundman
02-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Protecting yourself is a right.

Anyone want to tell me otherwise?

Why would anyone here want to do that ????

Things are entirely different in the US than they are Australia, end of story.

America is not like what we see on the eleventy two and a half crime shows we're force fed with nightly on the idiot box and Australians are not at all like Crocodile Dundee.

vive la différence,I say.

laidback
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
When I was in SoCal, my son and I would occasionally go out to Barstow or up to Big Bear ahooting. Where I am now, two friends and I get together for Sunday breakfast, followed by a trip to the local outdoor range. Depending on how we feel we may take out 22 rifles or pistols, heavier hitters or Black powder guns. I have a replica of the Remington 1858 revolving rifle that's a blast to shoot .

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 04:45 PM
When I was in SoCal, my son and I would occasionally go out to Barstow or up to Big Bear ahooting. Where I am now, two friends and I get together for Sunday breakfast, followed by a trip to the local outdoor range. Depending on how we feel we may take out 22 rifles or pistols, heavier hitters or Black powder guns. I have a replica of the Remington 1858 revolving rifle that's a blast to shoot .

Funny you mention black powder. I have been around guns all my life and only fired one of these. It was a 30 caliber I believe and was a flint lock. I actually hit what I was shooting at because I didnt know what to expect. After I realized the delay in going off I was screwed up the rest of the day. lol

Whats sad to me these days is how some of the makers are getting cheap. Particularly Remington. Winchester went under several years back and now Remington seems to be on the same path. The quality is just now there anymore imo. Their older guns were some of the best ever built.

What caliber is that 1858 laidback? I have seen those before but never shot one.

One of my buddies just bought a 375 h and h magnum and this thing kills at both ends. The recoil is just too much for me and its not my cup of tea at all. I like the smaller stuff. I would like to try out a 204 ruger someday to play with. I have gotten a lot of grief from some people for buying a 9mm pistol. Some say it wont get the job done but I would hate to be shot with one and to me its all about recoil. If you cant hit what your shooting at then the bigger power does not matter. The 9 has all I want and I dont want more. Have any of you ever shot a 44 magnum? Good God almighty! Talk about recoil. I had a 357 at one time and it was too much for me except when you shot 38 wad cutters in it. I got rid of it for this very reason.

laidback
02-12-2011, 06:00 PM
The 1858 is a 44, caliber, and is a cap lock.(uses a percussion cap for ignition).
Coincidentally, I can produce everything I need to shoot this thing. I have a mold for the ball, I know how to make black powder, and a little device I got from Dixie Gun Works to make the caps, using soda cans,( or beer cans).

A Life Aloft
02-12-2011, 07:27 PM
One of my buddies just bought a 375 h and h magnum and this thing kills at both ends. The recoil is just too much for me and its not my cup of tea at all. I had to laugh when I read this, Eddie. Back in the early 80's I went to an outdoor range with a friend of mine, another Captain. I just brought the Berretta to the range that I owned at the time, just before I had bought my Browning, and my shotgun to shoot some skeet with afterwards which was my main reason for going. He brought two rifles and a few handguns and a Colt Python (6" barrel) that he had recently purchased. It was a canon!!! I used two hands to grip it and the recoil almost knocked me on my ass. lmao It weighted a ton and man was that thing loud even with ear protection. Bejebus. I only fired a couple of rounds, waaaaaayyyy too much gun for me. I decided I needed my wrists to function with. It seemed huge for me for a handgun. It did have marvelous adjustable sights though. He also brought a S&W .44 mag with a barrel that I believe was 6 1/2 inches long. (he was into the bigger is better mode obviously. lol) Again, the roar of it was huge, especially since we were at a range out in the Inland Empire that is surrounded on three sides by some small mountain ranges. Again, way to much gun for me. I can only image that you could shoot through several walls in your home with it and still hit your neighbor's car parked in his driveway. lmao You could clearly see a large muzzle flash from it in broad daylight. Yikes!!!

A Life Aloft
02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Dude, I love to plink. Semebody wiill find a way to make fun of this no doubt.

I have shot brticks leterally thorugth my Mk IK and my Remington 550-1. I love them both. What fun they are both are. I love to shoot no mater the caliber.

IM all about having fun and shooting is part of it. Come on down here and I will teach yoiu and we can have some fun.Plinking is great. It's just for fun and relaxing and it really is a great stress reliever. I haven't been in a while as I mentioned, (too busy working) but now I am thinking a little trip out to the desert with my oldest son might be in order soon. Never shot any bricks though, just cans, plastic bottles empty and filled with water, paper targets and some scrub branches and misc., pieces of old wood that you find out there. You can hike a bit, enjoy the sun, bring a little lunch and just enjoy yourself and get away from everything for a few hours. It's pretty nice isn't it? (except having to watch out for rattle snakes - hate those damn things)

Eddie Haskell
02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I had to laugh when I read this, Eddie. Back in the early 80's I went to an outdoor range with a friend of mine, another Captain. I just brought the Berretta to the range that I owned at the time, just before I had bought my Browning, and my shotgun to shoot some skeet with afterwards which was my main reason for going. He brought two rifles and a few handguns and a Colt Python (6" barrel) that he had recently purchased. It was a canon!!! I used two hands to grip it and the recoil almost knocked me on my ass. lmao It weighted a ton and man was that thing loud even with ear protection. Bejebus. I only fired a couple of rounds, waaaaaayyyy too much gun for me. I decided I needed my wrists to function with. It seemed huge for me for a handgun. It did have marvelous adjustable sights though. He also brought a S&W .44 mag with a barrel that I believe was 6 1/2 inches long. (he was into the bigger is better mode obviously. lol) Again, the roar of it was huge, especially since we were at a range out in the Inland Empire that is surrounded on three sides by some small mountain ranges. Again, way to much gun for me. I can only image that you could shoot through several walls in your home with it and still hit your neighbor's car parked in his driveway. lmao You could clearly see a large muzzle flash from it in broad daylight. Yikes!!!

I have only shot the damn thing once. it knocked the hat off of my head. the recoil is just undescribable. It knocked me on my ass. It hit me that hard and thats no joke. It took me a bit to recover. I came around and swore to Jesus I would never shoot A gun this big ever again.

laidback
02-12-2011, 10:10 PM
At least none of us( I don't think) were dumb enough to try to fire something like this 600 Nitro Express pistol, (elephant cartridge)
YouTube - The most powerful handgun in the world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzri8dn7p0)

Theophilus
02-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Why would anyone here want to do that ????

Things are entirely different in the US than they are Australia, end of story.

America is not like what we see on the eleventy two and a half crime shows we're force fed with nightly on the idiot box and Australians are not at all like Crocodile Dundee.

vive la différence,I say.

I was a little rude with the anyone want to tell me otherwise statement.

laidback
02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I have only shot the damn thing once. it knocked the hat off of my head. the recoil is just undescribable. It knocked me on my ass. It hit me that hard and thats no joke. It took me a bit to recover. I came around and swore to Jesus I would never shoot A gun this big ever again.

So-o-o, I'm guessing you'd pass up something like the 500 S&W, or the BFR(Biggest, Finest Revolver, or Biggest F*****G Revolver) in 45-70? Just asking...!:RpS_scared:

Eddie Haskell
02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
So-o-o, I'm guessing you'd pass up something like the 500 S&W, or the BFR(Biggest, Finest Revolver, or Biggest F*****G Revolver) in 45-70? Just asking...!:RpS_scared:

You guessed right. A 44 magnum is the biggest handgun I have ever fired and it was extremely unpleasant. I cant imagine a 500 S and W. Why anybody would buy one I will never know.

laidback
02-14-2011, 01:34 PM
You guessed right. A 44 magnum is the biggest handgun I have ever fired and it was extremely unpleasant. I cant imagine a 500 S and W. Why anybody would buy one I will never know.

It's part of the, "bigger is better" syndrome that creeps in. There are lots of theories as to why this is, but I'm not sure how valid any of them are. For target shooting(jmvho) the less experience recoil the more pleasant. For hunting IF you can place your shot properly it doesn't take much gun to bring down almost anything.

For personal protection, there may be an argument for the stopping power of a big gun, but you still have to hit what you're aiming at. My personal protection piece is a Kel Tec 9mm with a Crimson Trace.

Eddie Haskell
02-14-2011, 02:51 PM
It's part of the, "bigger is better" syndrome that creeps in. There are lots of theories as to why this is, but I'm not sure how valid any of them are. For target shooting(jmvho) the less experience recoil the more pleasant. For hunting IF you can place your shot properly it doesn't take much gun to bring down almost anything.

For personal protection, there may be an argument for the stopping power of a big gun, but you still have to hit what you're aiming at. My personal protection piece is a Kel Tec 9mm with a Crimson Trace.

Your right about the bigger better syndrome. We have a serious over kill problem in my part of the world with rifles. Everybody seems to want the biggest thing they can buy to hunt deer with. 30-06 are as common as they can be and to take a deer it is overkill imo. If you had to have just one caliber to do everything with it would be a 243 or 6MM imo. I guess my crutch is making long ranges shots accurately. That is what turns my crank and that why I like the 220 swift. I have a Winchester model 70 and a Ruger Mk22 Varmit and target rifle. The Ruger is by far the better piece accuracy wise.

Speaking of rifles the best I have seen out of the box accuracy wise is a Savage. One of my buddies has had a half a dozen of them and they flat out will shoot. I think it was just bad luck on my part with the Winchester. I just got a bad one. I have tried every kind of load under the sun and it just wont group. Over 1 inch MOA is the norm at 100 yards in a 5 shot group. The Ruger shoots pretty much 3/4 Moa all day long. Its not a tack driver but very acceptable to me.

Not familiar with the Kel tec. I see your a 9 guy like myself. Its all I want and its all I can stand recoil wise. Is the Kel tec expensive?

laidback
02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Your right about the bigger better syndrome. We have a serious over kill problem in my part of the world with rifles. Everybody seems to want the biggest thing they can buy to hunt deer with. 30-06 are as common as they can be and to take a deer it is overkill imo. If you had to have just one caliber to do everything with it would be a 243 or 6MM imo. I guess my crutch is making long ranges shots accurately. That is what turns my crank and that why I like the 220 swift. I have a Winchester model 70 and a Ruger Mk22 Varmit and target rifle. The Ruger is by far the better piece accuracy wise.

Speaking of rifles the best I have seen out of the box accuracy wise is a Savage. One of my buddies has had a half a dozen of them and they flat out will shoot. I think it was just bad luck on my part with the Winchester. I just got a bad one. I have tried every kind of load under the sun and it just wont group. Over 1 inch MOA is the norm at 100 yards in a 5 shot group. The Ruger shoots pretty much 3/4 Moa all day long. Its not a tack driver but very acceptable to me.

Not familiar with the Kel tec. I see your a 9 guy like myself. Its all I want and its all I can stand recoil wise. Is the Kel tec expensive?

Depends on what you call expensive. They run about $350 + or -. It is the smallest, lightest commercially available 9mm and slips easily into my front pants pocket. It's a DAO design.