PDA

View Full Version : Technical Difficulties

GlimDropper
06-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Now, When can I give myself a cool avitar too?

Um, it should be.,.now. I've been rattling through so many configuration settings that I can barely remember any of them but let me see if I can detail the process.

I'll edit in a moment.

[Edit] Ok, one thing I've noticed is that vBulletin software has gotten much more context dependent than it was five or six years ago when the other site bought theirs. First off, go to the top right of the page and hit "Settings" and then on the left hand column I see "Edit Avatar" but you might see "Add Avatar." There are several other picture settings but that is the one you want. I see the upload box tells you you can have a max picture size of 100 by 100 pixels but I know it's bottle necked at 80 by 80. I need to go fix that. Tell me if you has cheeseburger er, have a problem.

Mike!
06-23-2010, 05:19 PM
It won't let me uncheck the "don't use a custom avitar" button... I'm wondering if there's a minimum post setting someplace. Not a huge deal, but I'd like o make myself "at home", if I may.

Emet
06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
It won't let me uncheck the "don't use a custom avitar" button... I'm wondering if there's a minimum post setting someplace. Not a huge deal, but I'd like o make myself "at home", if I may.

Try clicking on "Edit profile picture". When I did, it brought up two options: URL or upload from your computer. Don't know if it works...

Mike!
06-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Try clicking on "Edit profile picture". When I did, it brought up two options: URL or upload from your computer. Don't know if it works...

Worked for the profile page but not the avitar...

Emet
06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Worked for the profile page but not the avitar...
I was just getting ready to tell you that I could uncheck the "don't use custom avatar button", but I see it is working, Mike! :)

Mike!
06-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Ah yes! Very good and thank you!

A Life Aloft
06-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Is it possible to extend the time for editing your posts? I am the very worst typer in the universe, plus I always think of extra things to add, change or I want to reword something in my posts, etc. 10 minutes is pretty short.

Unsaved Trash
06-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Is it possible to extend the time for editing your posts? I am the very worst typer in the universe, plus I always think of extra things to add, change or I want to reword something in my posts, etc. 10 minutes is pretty short.

I'm with this one. It times out way too fast. I like being able to have it never log me off, but that might be a bit much to ask for at this point.

GlimDropper
06-25-2010, 07:38 AM
I like being able to have it never log me off, but that might be a bit much to ask for at this point.

<three sips into first cup of coffee> Are you saying you are getting logged out frequently? The "Remember me" button beneath the log in box should fix that. Tell me if it doesn't.

As to the edit window, it's a bit of a balancing act. I too am someone who always seems to miss at least one thing in the "preview" box before posting (and yes, the preview button is only available if you hit "go advanced" under the post box. Fixing that in "on the list"). But ten minutes should be ample time to find typos. The problem with extending it too far is it open the chance for someone to post something, have someone else comment on it, the first poster realizing that they've been caught in a lie or saying something monstrously stupid, editing their post and claiming not to have said that in the first place.

(God I'm inarticulate in the morning) But it is a balance. If ten minutes is too short an edit window, we might extend it a bit. But give it a try for a while.

Earl Lee Tobed
06-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I have the same problem,always having to correct my spelling,or add a sentence or whatever.Ten minutes is a little short in my view,though I appreciate immediate responses to a post causes disruption to the thread.Mmmm,whats the answer?
Over to the technical department.

Emet
06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
If I am posting something long, I create a document on my 'puter and evaluate it there. I can correct and add and review for a bit before copying and pasting to the forum. Then I can use the BBCode for things I need, like quotes. Then I can preview, make sure the links work and hit reply.

Many times I will still go back and edit. But if after a long while, I'm still not happy, I'll add a reply to correct/amend/add/clarify my original post. (or apologize)

Works for me...

A Life Aloft
06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
How about thirty minutes? I type with two fingers, an elbow and one toe. I can spell very well, but I cannot type for crap. It takes me a while to proof and format my posts and I hate doing it in the other tiny window. I throw it up on the big screen and then the edits and add ons begin. I was famous for editing the crap out of my posts on scam, especially if it's a long winded rant. I think and create while I write and then view it after and start the fixes. I do the same on other sites. 30 minutes would help a great deal. I would resort to begging but I used up that quota this morning on my wife. lol

BruceShuell
06-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Not my prblum. I nver spill anyting wrongly.

Earl Lee Tobed
06-26-2010, 07:29 AM
I wonder if someone at some point could post a quick tutorial on how to embed a video clip onto a post?
Thanks,Father.

Emet
06-26-2010, 08:14 AM
From your desktop or from a url, Father?

Earl Lee Tobed
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
From an url,such as You Tube.

Emet
06-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Click: Go advanced.
Click on 5th icon from right on second line at top. (BBCode "hot key", "shortcut key")
Copy/Paste URL per instructions.
Click OK.
Click Preview post.
That's as far as I went, and it worked for me.
Click submit reply: if that doesn't work, that would indicate there's a bug... but I doubt it.

Hope that helps, Father. :)

Emet
06-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Hmmm. Is it just me (or my computer)? The BBCode short cut keys and emoticons are not working.

Soapboxmom
06-28-2010, 08:51 AM
You are correct. I also noticed this morning that writing paragraphs was an exercise in futility. No matter how many neat structured paragraphs I start with it all morphs into a single paragraph. We did open early when Scam went down and have a few little kinks to work out! I will pass the word to our technical guys!Thanks!Soapboxmom

GlimDropper
06-28-2010, 09:17 AM
We are aware of the problems and are working to get them fixed. One thing that would help is a full list of "symptoms." (sorry but with no line formatting this wont be a list but just a bunched paragraph): 1: No spaces in text, everything punches into paragraphs. 2: None of the "buttons" on the post reply box work. The popup lists still show on mouse over but any setting option requiring a mouse click doesn't work. Please add any other symptoms you find to this thread. Thank you.

Live&Learn
06-28-2010, 09:54 AM
We are aware of the problems and are working to get them fixed. One thing that would help is a full list of "symptoms." (sorry but with no line formatting this wont be a list but just a bunched paragraph): 1: No spaces in text, everything punches into paragraphs. 2: None of the "buttons" on the post reply box work. The popup lists still show on mouse over but any setting option requiring a mouse click doesn't work. Please add any other symptoms you find to this thread. Thank you.

One other problem. Somehow Lenny slipped through your spam/scam filter.

adminrealscam
06-28-2010, 10:18 AM

These issues should now be resolved. Let me know if you guys notice anything else and we will get it resolved asap.

Seriously?
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM

*sigh*

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger...

Earl Lee Tobed
06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Click: Go advanced.
Click on 5th icon from right on second line at top. (BBCode "hot key", "shortcut key")
Copy/Paste URL per instructions.
Click OK.
Click Preview post.
That's as far as I went, and it worked for me.
Click submit reply: if that doesn't work, that would indicate there's a bug... but I doubt it.

Hope that helps, Father. :)

Thanks for that.I will try it out shortly.

littleroundman
06-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Nah,

that's a new time saving technical innovation introduced in this version of the forum software.

Instead of forum members having to spend endless hours pointing out to unwary newbies that Clements is nothing more than a serial fraudster and garrulous blowhard, the forum software cunningly draws him here and encourages him to do the job for you.

A job, BTW, he accomplishes with consummate ease.

Even the most casual reader of the forum could hardly be left in any doubt as to the character and motives of the fellow.

"Hoist by his own petard" and "condemned by his own words" and all that.

GlimDropper
06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
(Sorta testing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM80O4zTogQ&feature=related

Yea, just hit the "Insert Video" button, put the URL for a supported video type in the dialog box and you're good to go. Of course it helps if you enjoy bands no one's ever heard of but should have, god dammit.

Live&Learn
06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
*sigh*

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger...

Need a stronger SPAM/SCAM filter here.

Guess who?

Posts Per Day 17

GlimDropper
06-30-2010, 01:07 AM
I mucked about with the smilies, didn't care much for the old ones. We do have room for a few extras on the "more" tab so if anyone has a good sugestion, post them here (And I'm looking for a good "smashy" smilie, something to invoke the mental image of a ban hammer swung with great asperity, find one, post it here with my thanks).

One thing I f'ed up was adding the new ones to the old folder screwed up the "keyboard triggers" for the new smiles. What I mean is if you type :) you don't get :RpS_smile:. To get the smilies you need to be in the "go advanced" window and you need to click on the picture. Now I've never been too much of an emoticon kind a guy so I don't know how annoying this will be in general. I'll field opinions here if you have them.

:Fiddler:

Lightbulb
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
What is the time limit before you are auto logged off? I keep reading a thread, popping over to the desktop notepad to type my response, heading back here, cut-n-pasting my response only to find that I am no longer logged in.

I did click on the the 'remember me' box when I logged in, then I left and came back and was not auto logged in. I suppose this might have something to do with cookies?

GlimDropper
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
What is the time limit before you are auto logged off? I keep reading a thread, popping over to the desktop notepad to type my response, heading back here, cut-n-pasting my response only to find that I am no longer logged in.

I did click on the the 'remember me' box when I logged in, then I left and came back and was not auto logged in. I suppose this might have something to do with cookies?

Hmmm, is anyone else having problems being logged out after they've used the "remember me" button when signing in? I can check the time out options but if Lightbulb is the only one having this problem I'd be tempted to conclude it's a browser problem.