PDA

View Full Version : Site Recommendations - Adsense

USANAWatchDog
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
One thing I found absolutely ridiculous was the fact that the owner of scam.com was getting paid to advertise MLM scams through the Adsense. Will the adsense MLM Ads be all over this forum?

GlimDropper
06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Well, first off I'm not the owner but I assume at some point he will need to add advertisements. If he goes with AdSense, I'm afraid we will get a fair number of ads we might not be thrilled with. If this was a forum that discussed cheese Google would do everything they could to show us ads for cheese. We talk about, questionable buisness opportunities and by Google's logic, they should be the adds of greatest interest to our viewers. Yea, there is a flaw in that thinking but that's how it goes.

I've started to modify some of the core templates around here and if I can find a way to do it I'll add a disclaimer in the frame around advertisements making it clear that being show here is not necessarily an endorsement by us.

Emet
06-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Well, first off I'm not the owner but I assume at some point he will need to add advertisements. If he goes with AdSense, I'm afraid we will get a fair number of ads we might not be thrilled with. If this was a forum that discussed cheese Google would do everything they could to show us ads for cheese. We talk about, questionable buisness opportunities and by Google's logic, they should be the adds of greatest interest to our viewers. Yea, there is a flaw in that thinking but that's how it goes.

I've started to modify some of the core templates around here and if I can find a way to do it I'll add a disclaimer in the frame around advertisements making it clear that being show here is not necessarily an endorsement by us.

On Pink Truth, it is stated:

You will notice a number of different types of advertisements displayed on Pink Truth. We do not necessarily endorse any of the products or services shown on those advertisements. Many of the advertisements are based on keywords, which means the ads are generated based on the text displayed on the site. Since we discuss MLMs and "business opportunities" a lot, we do receive advertising for these scams. Unfortunately, we have little control over such ads. Advertising revenue is key to funding the maintenance and costs associated with Pink Truth, so we ask for your understanding, and we hope that you use discretion in responding to any offers made by such advertisements.

http://www.pinktruth.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9:navigating-pink-truth&catid=1:welcome-to-pink-truth&Itemid=16

When members started whining after a software update, and ads started appearing between posts, I believe the site owner gently reminded them that the ads did not even cover the full costs, and if members wanted to contribute, she would gladly remove the ads. ;)