PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for this Trojan

Blue Wolf
10-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Last week, I was on my computer and suddenly this message popped up with the headline "Microsoft Security Essentials Alert".

The pop-up said that I had an "Unknown Win32 Trojan" on my computer.

It said, "Microsoft Security Essentials detected potential threats that might compromise your privacy or damage your computer."

It said to click "show details" to learn more.

So I did. But it said that it was "Unable to remove" them. So it told me to click another button . . . I think it said "Scan Online" or something like that.

When I clicked it, over 20 more messages popped up within seconds. I didn't know how to stop it, and when I tried to shut off my computer, nothing would happen. I finally just had to unplug it, then I plugged it back in, hoping that everything would be back to normal. But that pop-up was still there . . . even when I clicked the "close" button, it wouldn't go away.

I couldn't access many programs on my computer, and I couldn't even go back on the internet. I thought my computer was ruined, so I ended up going to Wal-Mart and I purchased another one for $318.41.

It was a waste of time and money, but I didn't know what else to do.

So if your computer does the same thing, don't click on those buttons like I did. It will just mess up your computer.

Wizzard7
11-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Wow, sounds like you need to invest in a good anti-virus and run it on the infected machine, from Safe Mode... never knew anyone with so much money they buy another computer to fix a problem.. if you have a flat tire, do you go out and buy a new car? :)

Theophilus
11-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Buy Apple, problem solved.

Blue Wolf
11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Wow, sounds like you need to invest in a good anti-virus and run it on the infected machine, from Safe Mode...

I was using McAfee, so I thought that I was protected. Now that I think about it, I should have spent more time trying to fix the problem instead of buying a new computer . . . although my new computer is much faster than my older one.

So do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions about how I can better protect my computer?

if you have a flat tire, do you go out and buy a new car? :)

LOL . . . well, that would be pretty expensive. I haven't even paid off the one I'm driving now.

littleroundman
11-11-2010, 07:45 PM
If you are going to remain in the world of online scams you absolutely MUST have an approved anti virus AND an approved antispyware program installed and kept updated.

Further, if you're using Windows, you absolutely MUST keep up to date with the latest M$ security updates.

It is simply not possible any more to assume forums and websites in any way associated with fraud and fraudsters are themselves protected.