PDA

View Full Version : Searches by Non-Members

wserra
08-22-2013, 06:08 AM
I thought I remembered seeing something here, so I tried to use the "search" function on a quick, non-logged-in visit. Can't do it. The board will only permit searches by logged-in members.

I'm not sure if this was an intentional decision or just the vBulletin default. If the latter, a suggestion: allow searches by anyone, logged in or not. I don't see a downside to this setting, and Quatloos frequently gains new members when folks find something on a google, look into it by further searching the board, and like what they see.

Peace out, guys.

littleroundman
08-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Hiya Wes,

disabling the search function for visitors is done to prevent one of the known exploits used by DDoS attackers on vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, MyBB and SMF bulletin boards

ribshaw
08-22-2013, 07:32 AM
LRM, I had been thinking of similar, when I view with my Kindle without being logged in many images don't display but must be clicked. Is it possible to enable this without effecting security?

wserra
08-22-2013, 08:19 AM
disabling the search function for visitors is done to prevent one of the known exploits used by DDoS attackers on vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, MyBB and SMF bulletin boards

Didn't know that.

Never mind.