PDA

View Full Version : Tobie's Restaurant & Bakery

Doc Bunkum
08-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Yesterday I had a free day and a hankering for a coffee and some Cinnamon Buns.

So I figured, what the heck, it's a nice day, so I gassed up the car and drove down to Tobie's Restaurant & Bakery (http://www.tobies.com/index.htm) - which is about 300 miles south of where I live.

Sound like a little over kill?

Trust me, if you've ever been to the place you'd know the drive was worth it.

People drive up from the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St.Paul) for a coffee and these buns.

Big, honking caramel buns that fill a dinner plate.

And only $2.50 each!

I took the back roads and avoided the Interstate so I could have some quiet time and relax. I love driving. And I got to thinking.

Suppose Tobie's decided to sell these buns via MLM? How much would they cost?

Probably at least $10 each. Everybody in the upline has to get paid you know.

Which would take the pleasure out of eating these things knowing the money I paid was going to some mindless bozo's pockets instead of Tobies who was doing all the work making them.

http://www.tobies.com/images/holding_rolls.gif

littleroundman
08-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Forget about the buns,

tell us about the coffee.

Coffee is my thing

Mike!
08-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Which would take the pleasure out of eating these things knowing the money I paid was going to some mindless bozo's pockets instead of Tobies who was doing all the work making them.

And they'd never be fresh again ether. You'd have to get them on autoship in quanities that would render them all but useless. What's it cost to ship something frozen too? Who needs a walk in freezer in the garage jammed full of buns?
MLMs ruin everything they touch.

Seriously?
08-05-2010, 08:08 AM
So I figured, what the heck, it's a nice day, so I gassed up the car and drove down to Tobie's Restaurant & Bakery (http://www.tobies.com/index.htm) - which is about 300 miles south of where I live.

But Doc, I thought you lived in, ahhh, Iowa? :RpS_ohmy:

Doc Bunkum
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
But Doc, I thought you lived in, ahhh, Iowa? :RpS_ohmy:

I keep a summer residence up north. :RpS_smile:

Anyways, the whole point of this post was, who the heck is that dedicated to their MLM juice that they'd drive 300 miles to pick up a bottle if they're Auto **** didn't arrive?

At least I think that was my point. :RpS_mad:

Seriously?
08-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, I'm glad to know that there are others who drive a million miles to be in their happy spot!

As far as your other point, considering how single minded MLMers can be, I wouldn't doubt that there are a good percentage that would do exactly that. A good percentage!

After all, if the only thing between feeling great and feeling rotten is a bottle of juice, wouldn't you?

Doc Bunkum
08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
After all, if the only thing between feeling great and feeling rotten is a bottle of juice, wouldn't you?

If I need a bottle of juice to feel great, I can pick it up at my local liquor store.

No need to drive 300 miles. http://planetsmilies.net/eat-drink-smiley-7853.gif

iamwil
08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Yesterday I had a free day and a hankering for a coffee and some Cinnamon Buns.

And only $2.50 each!

I took the back roads and avoided the Interstate so I could have some quiet time and relax. I love driving. And I got to thinking.

Maiximum payout...usually around 70%...so not $10...but maybe $4 after buying wholesale in quantity from Toby's new factory they'd have to have to keep up.

But lets look beyond that...300 miles...back roads? Lets give you 30 mpg shall we and $2.50 for gas...you bought 20 buns just in your trip up and back. But lets go beyond that...back roads? to avoid the interstate? you couldn't average 50 mph no backroads with curves and towns and lights... so we are talking a days driving, you got to stop for food on the way and the way back and lodging over night and oh my...

tis why we drop ship to all our customers...most of them don't have two days to drive up and back on backroads 600 miles from home Doc.

I keep a summer residence up north. :RpS_smile:

Anyways, the whole point of this post was, who the heck is that dedicated to their MLM juice that they'd drive 300 miles to pick up a bottle if they're Auto **** didn't arrive?

At least I think that was my point. :RpS_mad: None of us. FedEx/UPS they handle all that.

Now should we have an urge like you and do something for pleasure....sure why not...but trying to equate that to MLM? We'd do it a lot cheaper than your methodology.

Nice story, though...I hope they were good...of course from the sounds of it you probably should have jogged back home to avert some of that artery clogging goodness..

Doc Bunkum
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
But lets look beyond that...300 miles...back roads? Lets give you 30 mpg shall we and $2.50 for gas...you bought 20 buns just in your trip up and back. But lets go beyond that...back roads? to avoid the interstate? you couldn't average 50 mph no backroads with curves and towns and lights... so we are talking a days driving, you got to stop for food on the way and the way back and lodging over night and oh my...

Ah, but Wil, that was by choice. That's how I relax. I love driving, the back roads, small towns and villages, local restaurants, etc. You run across yard sales, ideas for businesses from observing what other people are doing, find antique autos in some farmers back 40, etc. etc.

Basically, it's what turns your crank. Spending a day like this turns mine.

Nice story, though...I hope they were good...of course from the sounds of it you probably should have jogged back home to avert some of that artery clogging goodness..

I said sticky rolls, Wil, not donuts. Carbs don't clog the arteries.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :RpS_thumbup:

iamwil
08-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Ah, but Wil, that was by choice. That's how I relax. I love driving, the back roads, small towns and villages, local restaurants, etc. You run across yard sales, ideas for businesses from observing what other people are doing, find antique autos in some farmers back 40, etc. etc.

Basically, it's what turns your crank. Spending a day like this turns mine.

I said sticky rolls, Wil, not donuts. Carbs don't clog the arteries.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :RpS_thumbup:I can understand that... as a kid one Sunday we'd play card games or board games all afternoon and the next Sunday it was an afternoon drive...we'd pile in the car and drive down roads we hadn't...

But them sticky buns aren't filled with fat and sugar? Nevermind....don't read the nutritional line... We don't want to spoil the trip.

And for driving...I'll be doing it all next week...family vacation....two years ago we went west, last year we went north...flipping coins at intersections deciding which way to go...stopping at the point of interest signs along the way...going wherever we fancied... This year we are going south, my twins are 17...gonna be seniors in high school...with their work and college...and then creating their own families...I don't know when we'll be able to spend a week together again. I'm hoping we can continue to find time over the years.....but there is a distinct possiblity this will be the last road trip.

They've done grown up on me.

Doc Bunkum
08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
But them sticky buns aren't filled with fat and sugar? Nevermind....don't read the nutritional line... We don't want to spoil the trip.

No, they aren't. You do know what Cinnamon Buns are, don't you, Wil?

Bread rolled with cinnamon and brown sugar inside. Not too much really - just enough to make the cinnamon palatable. Proofed and baked in a mixture of butter, brown sugar and pecans. Pan is inverted when removed from oven.

And for driving...I'll be doing it all next week...family vacation....two years ago we went west, last year we went north...flipping coins at intersections deciding which way to go...stopping at the point of interest signs along the way...going wherever we fancied... This year we are going south, my twins are 17...gonna be seniors in high school...with their work and college...and then creating their own families...I don't know when we'll be able to spend a week together again. I'm hoping we can continue to find time over the years.....but there is a distinct possiblity this will be the last road trip.

They've done grown up on me.

Ah yes.

I was talking to my kids the other day about the old Burma Shave signs that use to dot the highways before the interstates screwed that deal up. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Have to admit, they were before my time also. But I know about them.

On curves ahead
Remember, sonny
That rabbit's foot
Didn't save
The bunny
Burma-Shave

The good old days.

Enjoy the family outing.

Make sure you take along a lot of biz op flyers for your biz and scatter them around the country as you travel.

You never know where leads will pop up. :RpS_wink:

iamwil
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
No, they aren't. You do know what Cinnamon Buns are, don't you, Wil?

Bread rolled with cinnamon and brown sugar inside. Not too much really - just enough to make the cinnamon palatable. Proofed and baked in a mixture of butter, brown sugar and pecans. Pan is inverted when removed from oven.

Ah yes.

I was talking to my kids the other day about the old Burma Shave signs that use to dot the highways before the interstates screwed that deal up. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Have to admit, they were before my time also. But I know about them.

On curves ahead
Remember, sonny
That rabbit's foot
Didn't save
The bunny
Burma-Shave

The good old days.

Enjoy the family outing.

Make sure you take along a lot of biz op flyers for your biz and scatter them around the country as you travel.

You never know where leads will pop up. :RpS_wink:lol Are you kiddin me? Who do you think you are talking to? The kids will have to share a suitcase...I'll have the back of the wagon full of brochures!

Burma Shave...we had one for some 40 winks hotel...

If your driving...

Half asleep...

Pray to the lord...

Your soul he'll keep...

or get a nice rest...

In Peace at the 40 winks Hotel.

And then there was the apt complex...

if you...

lived here.....

you'd....

be...

home....

now!

Yeah, my ex had an affinity for them buns...too sweet for me.

Doc Bunkum
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
And then there was the apt complex...

if you...

lived here.....

you'd....

be...

home....

now!

Have to share that one with Heiney over on that other forum. :RpS_wink: