PDA

View Full Version : Go Daddy vs. No Daddy

Emet
07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Many people don't think much about choosing a registrar, and simply pick one they have heard of. This often leads them to GoDaddy, who may be the leader in money spent on marketing and advertising (on the Super Bowl and elsewhere). Unfortunately GoDaddy doesn't seem to focus much on stability, security, or customer service. Instead that have devised innovative ways to overcharge customers and thwart customer attempts to transfer to superior registrars.

This site was created by Gordon Lyon (AKA Fyodor) after GoDaddy intentionally shut down one of my most important sites (SecLists.Org) without even giving me a reason. When GoDaddy noticed their blunder and reporters started calling them on it, they resorted to libeling me. A wired reporter even caught them in a lie as their General Counsel Christine Jones contradicted herself in a single interview. Since this site isn't just about my story, I've moved the full details here.

I created this site to document instances of customer abuse at GoDaddy. The goal is for GoDaddy to either improve their policies and customer service, or suffer continued loss of market share to their customer-focused competition.

While I gave this site its bare skeleton, it has become a community effort. As noted in the acknowledgments section, the site logo, some HTML work, the forums, and legal help have all been donated by volunteers. Even this domain name itself was donated by someone with his own horror stories about GoDaddy!

NoDaddy.Com - Exposing the Many Reasons Not to Trust GoDaddy with Your Domain Names (http://nodaddy.com/)

Doc Bunkum
07-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Gee, that cartoon on that site looks a lot like an mlm structure.

http://nodaddy.com/images/scumbob.jpg

A Life Aloft
07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
I am the first to admit that I know zip about this sort of thing. But when looking about complaints with Go Daddy, it's not a pretty picture for Yo Daddy, lol:

GoDaddy Complaints (http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/godaddy-a34332.html)

GoDaddy.com Complaints - Fraud and cheating company! (http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/godaddycom-c52062.html)

Go Daddy | ComplaintsBoard.com (http://www.complaintsboard.com/?search=Go+Daddy&everything=Everything)

GoDaddy Complaints | Blue Mushrooms Affiliate Marketing (http://bluemushrooms.com/godaddy-complaints/)

There are just loads of complaints about them on the net.

adminrealscam
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for this thread Doc and I will definitely be locating a different registrar and hosting company.

It seems that GoDaddy "claims" that a PayPal payment was reversed by PayPal although PayPal has no record of this. Then I ask GoDaddy why they didn't bill the backup method of payment on file via credit card and they can't answer that question either. The payment is then billed and they say it will take 24 to 48 hours to turn it back on.

Long story short they shut the site down with no notice or notification or grace period and without attempting to bill the backup method of payment. Then take almost 48 hours just to turn the site back on. This all on top of having several hosting outages within the first two months of hosting with them. Pretty miserable performance and below average customer service to date.

A Life Aloft
07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi Fearless Leader, in some of the complaints that I found on the net, website owners had the same exact issues. By the way, hows the SEO thing going? (and no, I don't even know what that is or how it works lol - I have just seen others here discussing it) I also saw some discussions about other ways to promote this site somewheres on here. Again, didn't understand any of that either. I am pretty much worthless in this area.

adminrealscam
07-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi Fearless Leader, in some of the complaints that I found on the net, website owners had the same exact issues. By the way, hows the SEO thing going? (and no, I don't even know what that is or how it works lol - I have just seen others here discussing it) I also saw some discussions about other ways to promote this site somewheres on here. Again, didn't understand any of that either. I am pretty much worthless in this area.

Had some additional conversations with my SEO guys today and additional work will continue this week on SEO strategies.

A Life Aloft
07-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Had some additional conversations with my SEO guys today and additional work will continue this week on SEO strategies.That is happy news. I hope something positive is forthcoming from all the effort.

A Life Aloft
07-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh and there were plenty of complaints about Yo Daddy having to do with them charging you/your account/credit card/whatever, after you have moved your site to another host, so watch for that, as well.

Doc Bunkum
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for this thread Doc and I will definitely be locating a different registrar and hosting company.

Actually, Emet started this thread. :RpS_wink:

adminrealscam
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Actually, Emet started this thread. :RpS_wink:

My apologies to Emet...thanks Emet :RpS_wink:

Soapboxmom
07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Okay, should we get to the even more ridiculous part of the story. I am very married to the site. The second it went down I called those charming folks at GoDaddy. I was quite cheerful and understanding until they informed me that payment was due and they wouldn't take it from me. I offered to whip out the old credit card and they refused to let me pay the hosting fees. :RpS_ohmy:

I was on the phone with RS immediately and really shaking my head on that one. Refusing payment from a fiesty little admin that is becoming less cheerful by the moment takes the cake, doesn't it??? Now, we can spend some quality time on what I assume is the alternate server we were supposed to be migrated to discussing jusst how wonderful their customer service really is. GRRrrrrrr!!! :RpS_cursing:

Soapboxmom

A Life Aloft
08-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Had some additional conversations with my SEO guys today and additional work will continue this week on SEO strategies.So what was the result? So far, I am not seeing any. Am I missing something? Just curious. I don't see any additional traffic heading our way. Perhaps some new SEO guys might be a consideration at this point.

Unsaved Trash
08-13-2010, 06:27 PM
So what was the result? So far, I am not seeing any. Am I missing something? Just curious. I don't see any additional traffic heading our way. Perhaps some new SEO guys might be a consideration at this point.

Sorry RS, but you got ripped off. That's a fact. The SEO guy hasn't done a single thing and I'd start a thread about him here, but no one would be able to find it in any search engine so what's the point? Exactly.