PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Johnson - IWorks Front Page Of New York Times Yesterday

JustTooMuchTime
06-16-2013, 10:48 PM
According to somebody that mailed me yesterday:

"The New York Times has a long article on their front page about Jeremy Johnson. It is six pages on the Internet but prints out at 14 pages. Still walking around. Still a HERO in Utah but at least there ARE some people that he has not fooled."

Article is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/business/in-utah-a-local-hero-accused.html?pagewanted=all

Some of you might recall that Johnson set up an elaborate web of companies:

“The scam, operated by 10 individuals through 61 companies,” an F.T.C. memorandum to the Nevada court says, “has tricked consumers into providing their credit and debit card information and has repeatedly billed these consumers for Internet-based memberships they never agreed to join.” At its height, “the scheme was ensnaring 15,000 consumers per day,” the document says.

Here's the best part - the reason the IWorks gives for setting up all of these companies:

"By creating different entities, they would be able to identify more easily who was committing fraud against them,” said Ms. Porter, the lawyer for I Works. “This is a recognized method of combating fraud.”

Really? On what planet?

Industry experts say it would make more sense for online marketers to scrupulously vet affiliated Web sites before letting them promote their products, so they wouldn’t need to set up new merchant accounts after the fact to look for affiliate fraud.

path2prosperity
06-17-2013, 04:29 AM
This is fantastic news. I have not finished the whole article yet but I have read eanough to know that it gives you the salient facts and lets the reader decide. Same principle as RealScam.

A story that hits the front page of The New York Times is a story with real power. Everybody here should bookmark the article. W need toe capitalise on this and try to get other broadsheet papers, radio and TV stations to report similar events in the local area. I have not checked to see if it has also been covered by London's Financial Times yet.