PDA

View Full Version : Has the western news media become a scam?

Frankly My Dear...
06-15-2013, 09:49 AM
I just got done reading a post here on the website about "Pigeon King International" (a 5 year old Canadian scam) and could not understand why the western news media did not come to the aid of the Canadian and US farmers who were victimized nor to Dave Thornton the guy who exposed the whole thing? Then I started reflecting back on other corruption cases and remembered a 2010 book I read by Rodney Stitch about government crimes. This stitch guy exposed some really serious government crimes and not one newspaper or TV station reported the overwhelming proof this guy dug up. So what is going on with our western news media? I now wonder if it is really that better than China's censored media?!?!?!?!

laidback
06-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I just got done reading a post here on the website about "Pigeon King International" (a 5 year old Canadian scam) and could not understand why the western news media did not come to the aid of the Canadian and US farmers who were victimized nor to Dave Thornton the guy who exposed the whole thing? Then I started reflecting back on other corruption cases and remembered a 2010 book I read by Rodney Stitch about government crimes. This stitch guy exposed some really serious government crimes and not one newspaper or TV station reported the overwhelming proof this guy dug up. So what is going on with our western news media? I now wonder if it is really that better than China's censored media?!?!?!?!There doesn't seem to be such a thing as news reporting in the west anymore. Just look at the stuff they do...or don't report on anything government or politics,

ribshaw
06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
I would say scams in general, other than perhaps at the local level, investigative level like Dateline, or maybe the national level for something big like Madoff get very little attention. The media is almost entirely funded by advertising dollars and reports accordingly. And what sells ads is eyeballs and what gets those eyes is sensationalism and emotion.

Not sure where you reside, but we have a term "rubber necking" to describe drivers looking at an accident as they drive past. Often this leads to another collision. But most people don't rubber neck at the spring flowers that pop up along the side of the highway, or the ground hog out for a stroll.

scratchycat
06-15-2013, 12:02 PM
I try to watch the news on the channels that we get with our package deal but there are way more commercials than news. And it is catered to sensationalism and for some networks almost falls in the category of soap opera. My news watching is early morning and I am a channel hopper from commercials. I currently watch CNN/HLN, Bloomberg, CBS, NBC and try to watch Fox News but they are so biased against the current administration, I just can't stay for long. At my lunchtime, I usually TRY to watch HLN but they have a program on during that time period that I really do no like. I just want to hear some news not a bunch of chit/chat among people on a round table. Something Raising America - just don't like it and did not like the full coverage of that terrible Jody Arias trial. Now they expect me to watch another one, I don't think so! Hung jury and a confessed killer costing more tax payer money to try and get her off for butchering her ex-boyfriend. After the Casey Anthony deal, I refused to watch another one. So, what do I watch during midday? Click over the Investigative Discovery and skip commercials.

I used to watch the China network until it was dropped from US.