PDA

View Full Version : The Final Word on Nutrition (apparently)

littleroundman
07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
After an exhaustive review of the research literature, here’s the final word on nutrition and health:

1. Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
3. Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
5. Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

fastmoney
07-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Humm.. Very interesting..

iamwil
07-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Over on the eastern shore of maryland we built a project. We had terrible issues with subcontractors, not making delivery dates, not answering phone calls, not responding to emails, not completing or showing up on time. If it was hunting season or good fishin weather they'd just dissappear. One finally said to me. "Don't worry we'll get it done. We just do things different over here, you fellas in DC/Balt it is go go go....we don't have as many heart attacks this side of the bay"

Stress has a lot to do with it. As do all the (legal prescription) drugs we consume in this country. And our air, and our water, and our bioengineered, human waste fertilized, growth hormone injected, roundup ready, irradiated foods we consume.

Blue Wolf
07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I looked up "obesity" at Wikipedia, and it said this:

"From the early 1970s to the late 1990s the average calories available per person per day (the amount of food bought) has increased in all parts of the world except Eastern Europe. The United States had the highest availability with 3,654 calories per person in 1996. This increased further in 2003 to 3,754. During the late 1990s Europeans had 3,394 calories per person, in the developing areas of Asia there were 2,648 calories per person, and in sub-Saharan Africa people had 2,176 calories per person. Total calorie consumption has been found to be related to obesity."

People in the United States are eating too many calories and not getting enough exercise.

And you're more likely to have a heart attack when you're unhealthy and obese.

Where I work, a large percentage of the people are overweight. I always see people buying pastries, candy and chips out of the vending machines.

One thing is for sure ... Americans do love their junk food.

Emet
07-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Please define junk... :RpS_wink:

http://www.infohub.com/forums/images/smilies/ihe_glutton.gif

Doc Bunkum
07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.dont-panic.co.uk/img/humor/pointless-comics/pointless-comics03.jpg

iamwil
07-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Where I work, a large percentage of the people are overweight. I always see people buying pastries, candy and chips out of the vending machines.

http://www.infohub.com/forums/images/smilies/ihe_glutton.gif Didn't he just?

or maybe you are looking for...

I like it when your booty go bump, bump
Girl make your booty go bump, bump
How you make your booty go bump, bump
You got a whole lot a junk in your trunk, trunk

Seriously?
07-16-2010, 12:42 PM

http://www.infohub.com/forums/images/smilies/ihe_glutton.gif

Well, also from Wikipedia

Junk food is an informal term applied to some foods which are perceived to have little or no nutritional value, or to products with nutritional value but which also have ingredients considered unhealthy when regularly eaten, or to those considered unhealthy to consume at all. The term was coined by Michael Jacobson, director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, in 1972.[1]

Junk foods are typically ready to eat convenience foods containing high levels of saturated fats, salt, or sugar; and little or no fruit, vegetables, or dietary fibre.

Junk food includes foods such as hamburgers, hot dogs, chocolate, ice cream, cake, French fries (if oil-baked).

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
After an exhaustive review of the research literature, here’s the final word on nutrition and health:

1. Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
3. Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
5. Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

You forgot about the SCOTS!

The jus dinnae gie a hoot mon!

Almost the entire adult population of Scotland are 'living dangerously' due to their unhealthy lifestyles, according to a new study.

An estimated 97.5 per cent of Scots are likely to be either cigarette smokers, heavy drinkers, overweight, don't exercise or have a poor diet. And two thirds are either overweight or obese.

Researchers from the University of Glasgow analysed the lifestyles of 6,574 Scottish men and women using data from the 2003 Scottish Health Study.

They looked at five major lifestyle risk facors; smoking, drinking, poor diet, lack of exercise and being overweight or obese.

All increase a person's risk of developing high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, types of cancer and alcohol related diseases which are major killers in Scotland and the rest of the UK.

The study found that 97.5 per cent of Scots had at least one of the risk factors, whilst a staggering 55 per cent had three.

And one in five of the population had four or all five of the risk factors.

A meagre 2.5 per cent of the population were free from all five risk factors.

Dr David Conway, from the University of Glasgow, who led the study, said: "Our analysis shows that around two-thirds of the Scottish population is overweight or obese, a similar proportion are not sufficiently physically active, and most people have a poor diet. It is just that it is not the same majority for each factor."

The study also found a clear link between poor health and low educational achievement- those without a higher education were three times more likely to have four or more risk factors.

As bad as these figures appear, the true picture may even be worse, as the findings are based on people reporting their own eating and drinking habits.

"Respondents might tend to give answers that would convey more favourable behaviors," said Dr Conway.

"This was confirmed for alcohol consumption by an analysis comparing self-reported alcohol intake in the Scottish Health Surveys with alcohol estimates, which suggested that surveys may understate alcohol consumption by as much as 50 per cent."

One glimmer of hope for the Scots (and the rest of us) is that three of the risk factors - poor diet, lack of exercise and obesity - are very closely related. Changing one of the risk factors can have a positive effect on the others.

The findings are published to-day in the journal BMC Public Health

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 12:51 PM
I can't imagine life without a little bit of junk food once in a blue, in moderation. I think it's an evil government plot to label Ben and Jerry's junk food, btw.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 01:04 PM
I can't imagine life without a little bit of junk food once in a blue, in moderation. I think it's an evil government plot to label Ben and Jerry's junk food, btw.

Speaking o the Scots,have you ever eaten porridgeoats outta sporan?---now thats what you call junk food!

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I have had porridge oat cakes in the past a few times and I thought they were great. They are pretty hard to find here though. I really like oats and especially oatmeal for breakfast and in various nutrition bars, etc. That being said, we won't go into haggis. lol How such a refined, civilized country can consume something like that is beyond me. (just kidding) Haggis does scare me though. I am brave, but not that brave.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Have you never been to a Burns Supper?
I thought the Americanos loved all that stuff.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Nope. I have read his poetry in the past, way in the past in school but that's about it. I doubt many Americans have eaten haggis either, here or in Scotland while visiting though. I have seen it consumed in person once in a restaurant in Scotland (the smell alone was extremely discouraging to say the least) and watched Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern rave about it and eat it on their shows of which I am a huge fan of those shows, but then look at what else they consume. lmao I have been pretty brave while traveling and tried many new foods, especially in Asia, but haggis??? Not so much. lol I am not a big fan of eating various animals organs actually. I think that's my issue. I prefer the outtards not the innards.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Haggis is known as 'grapeshot' by the true sheep stealers from the Highlands.
It fed an entire armys stomachs for many a cold winter,and helped beat the dratted Edwards Army on more than a few ocassions.
Hadrians wall wasnt built to keep the English in---it was built to keep the Scottish out! But thats another story.

Emet
07-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Can we get back to the good stuff, please? :RpS_laugh:

I eat some form of chocolate just about every day. I love B&J's Chocolate Fudge Brownie: both the real deal and the low fat frozen yogurt.

http://download.gallery.start.com/d.dll/1~23~501~142059/LARGE.jpg

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Heres the delectable recipe,in case you want to try it at home.
First,catch a sheep---!

"Here's a recipe for the beloved Haggis of Scotland. In addition to the other naughty (read 'delectable') bits, the lungs are traditionally included in Scotland, but are omitted here as it's illegal to sell lungs in the U.S. (Any clues as to why, anybody?). Some folks also think that liver shouldn't be used ..."

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock
Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.
Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE SERVING OF THE HAGGIS
From Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors:

Traditionally, a Haggis is made from the lung, liver, and heart of the sheep. These are mixed with oatmeal and a few spices and stuffed into the sheep's stomach. After being boiled, the Haggis is brought to the table with a great deal of ceremony. A piper ushers in the Haggis and all raise a glass of Scotch whiskey and "brrreath a prrayerr for the soul of Rrrobbie Burrrns!" It is then served with "neeps and nips," mashed turnips and nips of whiskey. I think you have to drink a lot of Scotch before you can truly enjoy this dish, but a party of Scots without a Haggis is simply not heard of.
I prepared this recipe for the Medinah Highlander Pipe and Drum Band of Chicago. They piped the Haggis into the dining room, the boiled sheep's stomach being carried on a silver tray by Craig, my assistant. The Pipe and Drum Major cut the Haggis in the sign of the Cross and the party began. These pipers ate everything in sight ... so I am willing to offer you *MY* version of Haggis.

THE MAJOR INGREDIENTS:
1 pound beef heart, cut into 2-inch-wide strips.
1 pound beef liver.
1/2 pound lamb stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes.
1 1/2 cups peeled and finely chopped yellow onion.
4 tablespoons Scots whisky.
2 cups oatmeal, toasted on a cookie sheet in a 375F oven for 10 minutes).
THE SEASONINGS:
2 teaspoons salt.
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
1 teaspoon dried thyme, whole.
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary.
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg.
THE CASING:
3 beef CAPS (Talk to a sausage shop about these).
1 cup distilled white vinegar.
1/2 tablespoon salt for soaking.
Place the beef heart in a 4-quart covered pot and just cover with cold water. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Add the beef liver and lamb stew meat, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the contents of the pot and cool. Reserve 1 cup of the liquid. Grind everything coarsely.

In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients, except for the beef caps, vinegar, and salt for soaking. Mix well and set aside.

Rinse the beef caps in cold water. Turn them inside out and soak them in 2 quarts of cold water with the salt and vinegar for 1/2 hour. Drain them and rinse very well, inside and out.

Divide the meat mixture into three parts. Fill the beef caps with the meat mixture and tie the ends off with string. Two will have to be tied on just one end, but the third piece will be tied on both ends. Prick the Haggis all over with corn holders or a sharp fork. Place in a steamer and steam for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Serve the Haggis, sliced, with beef or lamb gravy.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I am sure that it did. I can imagine great pots of it being cooked in the 13th century and filling the bellies of men going to battle and shouting things like "Every man dies, but not every man really lives". lol But that was before refrigeration and the sensible practice of eating a really good steak or a good beef stew, sans any organs, lips, hooves, heads, etc. Black Angus beef for example raised here, is the most popular beef around. It's wonderful. But there are no organs involved. lol I can't eat lamb anyways, I am very allergic to it. Can't even wear wool clothing, makes me break out. Even if I wasn't, I can't manage the idea of sheep organs or any animal or seafood organs for that matter.

Soapboxmom
07-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I think I will take just the smooth expensive whiskey and perhaps a little of the mashed potatoes to soak it up. Thanks!

Soapboxmom

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Can we get back to the good stuff, please? :RpS_laugh:

I eat some form of chocolate just about every day. I love B&J's Chocolate Fudge Brownie: both the real deal and the low fat frozen yogurt.

http://download.gallery.start.com/d.dll/1~23~501~142059/LARGE.jpgYou and my wife. She loves chocolate. We eat pizzels often and I love them...the anise ones. They are really my faves. But lately, she has also been buying these "petit ecolier" european biscuits. They have a thin layer of really good milk chocolate on the top and man, they are addicting. Excellent with milk, tea or coffee. We also like the yoplait chocolate mousse whips and eat them with all kinds of fresh fruit and sometimes mixed nuts and or granola. They are damn tasty, especially with fresh fruit, nuts and granola.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I am sure that it did. I can imagine great pots of it being cooked in the 13th century and filling the bellies of men going to battle and shouting things like "Every man dies, but not every man really lives". lol But that was before refrigeration and the sensible practice of eating a really good steak or a good beef stew, sans any organs, lips, hooves, heads, etc. Black Angus beef for example raised here, is the most popular beef around. It's wonderful. But there are no organs involved. lol I can't eat lamb anyways, I am very allergic to it. Can't even wear wool clothing, makes me break out. Even if I wasn't, I can't manage the idea of sheep organs or any animal or seafood organs for that matter.

The warcry of the time was:-

You can take our lives--but you'll never take our freedom

But that was after a few drams!( Which helped!)

Can you imagine standing in a straight battle line as an Englishman with only a musket for protection,and all these hairy Scotsmen charging towards you in skirts,eyes wild, with the bagpipes blaring?--- Scary!

And its all thanks to the humble haggis.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 02:18 PM
What's scarey is that the English knew and understood that the Scots always went commando wearing those kilts! lmao I couldn't resist!

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 02:25 PM
What's scarey is that the English knew and understood that the Scots always went commando wearing those kilts! lmao I couldn't resist!

Bit nippy in the winter,thats why the Scots call their willie 'the wee man'

Imagine only having heather for loo paper,scratchy!

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Bit nippy in the winter,thats why the Scots call their willie 'the wee man'

Imagine only having heather for loo paper,scratchy!Rough (no pun intended) times, eh? ROTFL! Somewhat like the shrinkage episode on Seinfeld.

Emet
07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
We eat pizzels often and I love them...the anise ones.

I hope your minor typo was meant to say you love pizzelles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzelle) and not pizzles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzle)...

:RpS_ohmy:
:RpS_laugh:

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 02:48 PM
I hope your minor typo was meant to say you love pizzelles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzelle) and not pizzles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzle)...

What is a pizzelle,educate me on the delicacies of the exotic Americanos pallete.

Seriously?
07-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Well, he did say pizzels... lol

What is a pizzelle,educate me on the delicacies of the exotic Americanos pallete.
It's kind of an Italian waffle or crepe... yum

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
What is a pizzelle,educate me on the delicacies of the exotic Americanos pallete.sorry, I am typing and doing some work on the internet and editing my posts as I go for spelling/typos at the same time and doing some emails and managing to miss some errors. I had to just delete one post and start over a few minutes ago because of that. We need longer than ten minute editing on here!!! lol At least I do.

Pizzelles are the food of the Gods. lol They are actually Italian. We have an iron press to make them in and also buy them at our fave Italian deli. They are very light and tasty. They are a waffle type cookie (not much like a cookie really) they are very thin and crispy and made from whole eggs, sugar, flour, vegetable oil or butter. They can be plain or flavored with lemon, orange, vanilla, chocolate, anise (which are the ones I prefer - I realy like the taste of anise and eat a few varities of anise flavored Italian treats) and they are just wonderful with coffee. I eat them several times a week. They are like 6 inches or so in circumference. We eat a lot of different foods from around the planet, especially Asian, Italian, Spanish, Cajun, French, Greek, Brazillian, Middle Eastern, Hawaiian/ Polynesian and Jewish. lol I love German, Italian and Jewish delis and we frequent them often. We like variety and lots of it. Traditional American fare is something we simply don't eat as much of. I have always said, that I have eaten my way around the world for decades. lol If you want to know a country, you have to know it's food and it's culture and food is always a huge part of that culture. It's a big planet and some wonderous foods from every country are available. In fact, I plan on making a nice Paella this Sunday.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
What the hell is a pizzel anyways? lmao I keep saying I am the worst typer on the fricking planet. Two fingers, an elbow and a toe. Sheeesh. I am famous for editing my posts a million times. If I could learn to use the preview thing, that might help. That and longer editing times on here! (he says yet again) lol

Seriously?
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
If you want to know a country, you have to know it's food and it's culture and food is always a huge part of that culture. It's a big planet and some wonderous foods from every country are available. In fact, I plan on making a nice Paella this Sunday.

This is like, so true... Wish I was in SoCal, I'd invite myself! 'Course, if you have a float plane, you could land right in front of the cottage here... :RpS_wink:

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Sorry, plane but no floats. lol Depending on weight at the time, I need about 3,000 feet on some decent surface. If you come here, you are welcome anytime. The pool and jacuzzi are always warm, the ocean breeze is always blowing and the sun shining most of the time. I hope you like dogs and cats though. It's a farm over here. A cottage on a lake sounds wonderful though. Do you fish? I am off to SFO tonight for a client and I feel a lobster with my name on it headed my way.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=A Life Aloft;2764]Sorry, plane but no floats. lol Depending on weight at the time, I need about 3,000 feet on some decent surface. If you come here, you are welcome anytime. The pool and jacuzzi are always warm, the ocean breeze is always blowing and the sun shining most of the time. I hope you like dogs and cats though. It's a farm over here. A cottage on a lake sounds wonderful though. Do you fish? I am off to SFO tonight for a client and I feel a lobster with my name on it headed my way.[/QU

I went for a flying lesson a few months ago in an English owned/Spanish registered microlight.Took off on a circa 300 metre runway in 30 knots of wind,borderline wind I was told,however we went up.It was like being in a washing machine some of the time.Fun but scary.The 'beast' was carbon fibre with a handbrake between the seats for braking on landing,no ratchet just a cable working on two wheels(.I didnt find this out till we landed).At the end of the runway,300 metres remember,we came in sideways,and there was a heavy duty iron fence at the end of the tarmac,handbrake applied(with vigour) we turned and taxied ,to my great relief,just in time,to find the hanger owner had locked the door and gone home for Paella!

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 03:48 PM
I went over my ten minutes(cant we have longer as I ruminate a lot when posting?

Anyway,said hanger owner had gone home and the plane was left in (by then) high winds which could have damaged the 'beast'left to its own devices.So,being the considerate individual that I am I helped tie the wings down for the night
.I paid €120 for an hour,worth every cent! Must go back soon.

Seriously?
07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry, plane but no floats. lol Depending on weight at the time, I need about 3,000 feet on some decent surface. If you come here, you are welcome anytime. The pool and jacuzzi are always warm, the ocean breeze is always blowing and the sun shining most of the time. I hope you like dogs and cats though. It's a farm over here. A cottage on a lake sounds wonderful though. Do you fish? I am off to SFO tonight for a client and I feel a lobster with my name on it headed my way.

LOL, I gots waaaaay more feet. I could land a 747. If it would float. Love pets. Got a couple of my own. The dog and I have a daily session of "Fly off the dock after the water toy." Don't fish anymore, too much prep work. Although I do bait my own hook when I do, and I will gut and clean. I'd love to gut and clean that lobster tonight... Lobster and pizzelles... great cultural combo.

walksthedogs
07-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Lolz, a small difference in spelling makes a big difference. :RpS_ohmy:

Emet
07-16-2010, 04:03 PM
The dog and I have a daily session of "Fly off the dock after the water toy."

Then I presume you've seen these (not gonna embed, since I just picked the first video that popped up):
YouTube - Ultimate Pet Dogs Air Fly Competition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwxFtdF-8Ic)

http://www.funmastee.com/Emoticons/3D/files/little%2520happy%2520dog.gif
http://www.epettalk.com/forums/images/smilies/dark-grey-dog-emoticon-2.gif

Love pets

As do so many of us!

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Lolz, a small difference in spelling makes a big difference. :RpS_ohmy:It must be bad, nobody wants to tell me what it means. lmao I am telling you I type like crap! I need more editing time!!! lol

Emet
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
ALA: The words are linked. Please go back and click on both words in my post...

And it was just a joke... really! (not meant to offend--just more lame Emet jokes...) :RpS_blushing:

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Im sorry, I know it is a joke, I am sure, I just missed the link. I am trying to pack and get dressed and leave soon, so I am scattered and off an on right now. Plus I just bashed my foot on my ottoman trying to get back to the puter. lol

Seriously?
07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Then I presume you've seen these (not gonna embed, since I just picked the first video that popped up):
YouTube - Ultimate Pet Dogs Air Fly Competition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwxFtdF-8Ic)

Noooo. Really? This is exactly what we do! And I'll bet Joey would be a contender!74

Most people think I've photoshopped this. Nope. My son was out in a kayak. You can see the splash of the toy far right. I threw the toy from farther back on the dock.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh hells bellls, I just clicked it!! ROTFL! I almost spit out my juice!!! ROTFL!!! I love it!!! That is really funny. I swear I have never heard of that before. The funniest part is that they are given to dogs as "treats"??? WTF??? YIKES!!! lmao You can make soup with them??? lol Oh man, that is funny.

Emet
07-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Then click on the link in this post:

http://www.realscam.com/f20/iran-bomb-212/#post2765

Emet
07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Then click on the link in this post:

http://www.realscam.com/f20/iran-bomb-212/#post2765

Call me Duh... :RpS_blushing: I missed the joke... by ALA...
BTW, Seriously?-- Great photo of your dog!!!

walksthedogs
07-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Father, did you change your name? :RpS_smile:

Mike!
07-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Heres the delectable recipe,in case you want to try it at home.
First,catch a sheep---!

"Here's a recipe for the beloved Haggis of Scotland. In addition to the other naughty (read 'delectable') bits, the lungs are traditionally included in Scotland, but are omitted here as it's illegal to sell lungs in the U.S. (Any clues as to why, anybody?). Some folks also think that liver shouldn't be used ..."

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock
Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.
Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE SERVING OF THE HAGGIS
From Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors:

Traditionally, a Haggis is made from the lung, liver, and heart of the sheep. These are mixed with oatmeal and a few spices and stuffed into the sheep's stomach. After being boiled, the Haggis is brought to the table with a great deal of ceremony. A piper ushers in the Haggis and all raise a glass of Scotch whiskey and "brrreath a prrayerr for the soul of Rrrobbie Burrrns!" It is then served with "neeps and nips," mashed turnips and nips of whiskey. I think you have to drink a lot of Scotch before you can truly enjoy this dish, but a party of Scots without a Haggis is simply not heard of.
I prepared this recipe for the Medinah Highlander Pipe and Drum Band of Chicago. They piped the Haggis into the dining room, the boiled sheep's stomach being carried on a silver tray by Craig, my assistant. The Pipe and Drum Major cut the Haggis in the sign of the Cross and the party began. These pipers ate everything in sight ... so I am willing to offer you *MY* version of Haggis.

THE MAJOR INGREDIENTS:
1 pound beef heart, cut into 2-inch-wide strips.
1 pound beef liver.
1/2 pound lamb stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes.
1 1/2 cups peeled and finely chopped yellow onion.
4 tablespoons Scots whisky.
2 cups oatmeal, toasted on a cookie sheet in a 375F oven for 10 minutes).
THE SEASONINGS:
2 teaspoons salt.
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
1 teaspoon dried thyme, whole.
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary.
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg.
THE CASING:
3 beef CAPS (Talk to a sausage shop about these).
1 cup distilled white vinegar.
1/2 tablespoon salt for soaking.
Place the beef heart in a 4-quart covered pot and just cover with cold water. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Add the beef liver and lamb stew meat, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the contents of the pot and cool. Reserve 1 cup of the liquid. Grind everything coarsely.

In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients, except for the beef caps, vinegar, and salt for soaking. Mix well and set aside.

Rinse the beef caps in cold water. Turn them inside out and soak them in 2 quarts of cold water with the salt and vinegar for 1/2 hour. Drain them and rinse very well, inside and out.

Divide the meat mixture into three parts. Fill the beef caps with the meat mixture and tie the ends off with string. Two will have to be tied on just one end, but the third piece will be tied on both ends. Prick the Haggis all over with corn holders or a sharp fork. Place in a steamer and steam for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Serve the Haggis, sliced, with beef or lamb gravy.

Wouldn't be quicker and easier to just toss a whole sheep or two in a blender, season to "taste"? Heat till rancid. Serves a small mad cow infected army.

:RpS_scared:

Unsaved Trash
07-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Animal lungs are not illegal in the USA. You can buy them at the Asian and Mexican markets. You can find them on the Asian restaurant menus. Or if you like Italian food, you can order platters of lunguini (forgive me for that one). When I was a kid we went on a field trip to the Hormel plant. They were making wieners and bologna. I'm sure they dumped lungs in those vats along with the eyeballs and everything else, intestines included. I haven't eaten either one since. Makes you wonder what goes in dog food.

littleroundman
07-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Wouldn't be quicker and easier to just toss a whole sheep or two in a blender, season to "taste"? Heat till rancid. Serves a small mad cow infected army.

:RpS_scared:

Well,

it IS Scotsmen we're talking about here, after all.

It's hard to imagine those notorious tightwads wasting all those perfectly good hoofs, skin, entrails, reproductive organs and adrenal glands.

As for a Scotsman wasting perfectly good money on refrigeration ???

Wash your mouth out, man.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Well,

it IS Scotsmen we're talking about here, after all.

It's hard to imagine those notorious tightwads wasting all those perfectly good hoofs, skin, entrails, reproductive organs and adrenal glands.

As for a Scotsman wasting perfectly good money on refrigeration ???

Wash your mouth out, man.

Ahhh---you know someone from Aberdeen then!

Emet
07-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Offal. :RpS_wink:

Earl Lee Tobed
07-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Offal. :RpS_wink:
Or Awful? Lol.