PDA

View Full Version : Iran and the BOMB

Cranky Old Man
07-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Does anyone here think that Iran will hesitate ti use it once they get it finalized.

Any thoughts here on this.

MOSCOW | Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27am EDT

MOSCOW July 12 (Reuters) - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Monday that Iran was moving closer to having the potential to create nuclear weapons.

"Iran is moving closer to possessing the potential which in principle could be used for the creation of nuclear weapons," Medvedev told a meeting of ambassadors in Moscow. (Reporting by Denis Dyomkin, writing by Guy Faulconbridge, editing by Dmitry Solovyov)

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWLA813120100712

Theophilus
07-14-2010, 12:27 AM
If they had one or even two, what would be the advantage militarily if they dropped one? The only advantage may be that they have one and can use the threat of using one against their enemies. Though if they ever did, you know as well as I do that hell fire would fall from above and their country would simply cease to exist.

That does not seem to be much of an advantage. The leadership there in Iran is certainly a little nuts, though I don't think they are that crazy.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-14-2010, 04:08 AM
Dont you think North Korea rather than Iran is the biggest current threat to world peace?

Cranky Old Man
07-14-2010, 06:01 AM
The Iranian president and other high officials there have already publicly sworn to destroy Isreal by any means.

No I have no doubt that they do believe that it is their destiny and have been lead to believe that they will all go to meet allah and get their 20 virgins. These people are religious fanatics.

iamwil
07-14-2010, 07:50 AM
The Iranian president and other high officials there have already publicly sworn to destroy Isreal by any means.

No I have no doubt that they do believe that it is their destiny and have been lead to believe that they will all go to meet allah and get their 20 virgins. These people are religious fanatics. There are a few things we have to explore before we just go off willy nilly as usual.

First, the president of Iran is a figure head. He has no power, that office hasn't had any power...until we made it so that is. Those presidents have been ranting and raving for years...it has meant nothing. The office is nothing similar to what we think of as President. But then when we decided to make them part of the axis of evil... we started posting what this guy was saying in the newspaper as if it was newsworthy.

Second, consider why does one want to be a nuclear power? To blow other countries to little bitty bits? No, as that is a sure sign your country will be blown to little bitty bits. We've all pretty much figured this out. When any country becomes a part of the Nation/State Nuclear Club...they become part of a very exclusive group and gain instant respect in negotations, treaties, monies. Like any club, you can argue all you want but when you become a lawyer and 'pass the bar' you can now 'pass the bar'. Being a member of a club affords you priviliges over folks that aren't a member of the club...and everyone we fight tooth and nail not to get in...as soon as they do our collective arms go around their shoulder and welcome them as if they just made it through our hazing gauntlet.

Third, words and exagerations are common parts of middle east negotiations. When it comes to Arabs, Semetics, Persians...hyperbole is part of all discussion. If you offer the price asked for a rug in the market you'll be baraged with questions as to why you are insulting his mother, his family, his children...

As usual, like anywhere else....there are fanatics and folks with big mouths...but there are also thousands of civilians that are simply trying to make a life, they are no different than you or I....there are grandparents caring for their grandchildren while the parents go out and work, they live on land that has been in their family for generations, or they've just saved enough to build their own house. They eat, drink and sing around the fire.

In order to get us riled up against them, as we were fanned to the flame against Iraq, we have to paint them as horrible and we are the saviour....

It has been so successful in Iraq and Afganistan, surely we should continue to do this again and again....after all, we still have paper to print more money on.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Why is Iran's nuclear weapons program a threat to America and American interests?

Nuclear weapons in the hands of the radical and reckless Iranian regime would have severe repercussions for American security and the security of our allies.

· Iran already has a conventional weapons capability to hit U.S. and allied troops stationed in the Middle East and part of Europe. If Tehran were allowed to develop nuclear weapons, this threat would increase dramatically.

· The Middle East remains an essential source of energy for the United States and the world. Already, Iran's military posture has led to increases in arms purchases by its neighbors. A nuclear-armed Iran would likely spark a nuclear arms race in the Middle East that would further destabilize this volatile and vital region. Interrupted access to essential energy supplies would threaten the viability of the American and world economies.

· A nuclear-armed Iran poses a threat to America's closest allies in the Middle East. Israel is most at risk as Iran's leaders have repeatedly declared that that Israel should "be wiped from the map." America's moderate Arab allies, such as Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, and others are already alarmed at Iran's aggressive regional policy and would feel increasingly threatened by a nuclear-armed Iran.

· A nuclear-armed Iran would likely embolden Iran's already aggressive foreign policy, resulting in greater confrontations with the international community and support for extremists. Iran is already one of the world's leading state sponsors of terrorism through its financial and operational support for groups such as Hamas, Hezbollah and others. Iran could potentially share its nuclear technology and know-how with extremist groups hostile to the United States and the West. While Iranian missiles can't yet reach America, Iran having a nuclear weapons capability can potentially directly threaten the United States and its inhabitants. The U.S. Department of Defense National Air and Space Intelligence Center reported in April 2009: "With sufficient foreign assistance, Iran could develop and test an ICBM [intercontinental ballistic missile] capable of reaching the United States by 2015.

· Many analysts are concerned about the possibility of a nuclear weapon arriving in a cargo container at a major US port. Furthermore, a federally mandated commission to study electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attacks noted the vast damage that could be wrought by at a single missile with a nuclear warhead, launched from ship off the US coast, and detonated a couple of hundred miles in the air, high above America. The explosion could produce an electromagnetic pulse whose effect would be to knock out electrical power, computer systems, and telecommunications over much of the US. The commission reported that Iran has "practiced launching a mobile ballistic missile from a vessel in the Caspian Sea. [and] … has also tested high-altitude explosions of the Shahab-III, a test mode consistent with EMP attack, and described the tests as successful. Iranian military writings explicitly discuss a nuclear EMP attack that would gravely harm the United States."

How do we know Iran is developing nuclear weapons?

Iran's nuclear program is clearly intended to develop a nuclear weapons capability. For seventeen years, it was kept secret, even though international assistance would have been available to a civilian program. In 2002, Iran's covert program was exposed. Since then, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly said that it cannot consider Iran's nuclear program as entirely civilian, because it has too many unanswered questions.

Recently, Western intelligence agencies discovered, and Iran admitted to, another secret facility in Qom that is designed for approximately 3,000 centrifuges to enrich uranium. President Obama commented that the "configuration" of the Qom facility is "not consistent with a peaceful nuclear program." Three thousand centrifuges are sufficient for producing quantities of highly enriched uranium for nuclear weapons, but not for fuel for nuclear power plants.

What does the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) say?

The International Atomic Energy Agency has reported that "Iran has sufficient information to be able to design and produce a workable implosion nuclear device (an atomic bomb) based on HEU (highly enriched uranium) as the fission fuel" and has also reported that Iran has stockpiled enough low-enriched uranium to produce sufficient HEU for at least one nuclear bomb.

Specifically, the IAEA has reported on Iranian technical documents that concern warhead design, production of a uranium core for nuclear weapons, adaptation of missiles to carry nuclear warheads, missile warhead detonation at 1800 feet of altitude (which only makes sense for a nuclear weapon), and underground nuclear test silos.

Didn't the CIA report that Iran had stopped developing nuclear weapons?

The U.S. National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) on Iran: Nuclear Intentions and Capabilities of November 2007 confirmed the existence of a covert Iranian program to develop nuclear weapons and missiles to deliver them. The NIE was widely misinterpreted as claiming that Iran ended its nuclear weapons program. In fact, only one element – nuclear warhead design – was estimated to have been put on hold in 2003. As CIA director Michael Hayden has said of the NIE, "What came out in a lot of coverage was 'Iran stops nuclear program.' The only thing we claimed had been halted in '03 was the weaponization. The development of fissile material, and the development of delivery systems continued. And one can make the case the development of delivery systems make no sense with just conventional warheads on top of them."

How is the international community dealing with the Iranian nuclear program?

On October 1, 2009, the United States, China, France, Germany, Russia, and the United Kingdom started a new round of discussions with Iran about its nuclear program. President Obama has stated in relation to those talks: "If Iran does not take steps in the near future to live up to its obligations then the United States will not continue to negotiate indefinitely and we are prepared to move towards increased pressure." Major European leaders have also expressed support for additional European Union sanctions on Iran should these discussions fail to achieve their objective. The United Nations Security Council has already unanimously adopted three resolutions imposing sanctions on Iran for its nuclear proliferation activities.

What kind of regime governs Iran?

Since the revolution which overthrew the monarchy in 1979, Iran has been run by a Shia Islamist regime which has violently suppressed internal dissent. Both Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the country's powerful Supreme Leader, and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad are uncompromising hardliners.

There have been periods when it appeared that the Iranian leadership was opting for greater moderation and reform. This occurred with the sanctioned election of Mohamed Khatami, considered the "reformist candidate" to the presidency in 1997. While the Khatami reign (through 2005) was marked by some moderation in Iran's public stance towards the West, the Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei tightly controlled most of the state apparatus. Iran's nuclear weapons program also intensified during this period. Most recently, in the June 2009 presidential election campaign, there were strong indications that the "reformist candidate," Mir-Hussein Mousavi, would prevail over the incumbent, Ahmadinejad. However, within hours of the polls closing, the Khamenei-controlled state apparatus announced that Ahmadinjad had won by a huge margin. In the weeks following, the regime's security forces and allied militia harshly clamped down on pro-Mousavi protests in Tehran and elsewhere across the country. A number of people protesting the election results were killed – some killed at rallies by gunfire, and some in prisons following their arrest. Over a hundred others arrested have been put on trial and some prominent figures have made public "confessions."

Iran's regime is a source of extremism and destabilization in the region and around the globe. It has defied the international community with its support for terrorism and cultivation of extremist forces. It has rebuffed international efforts to ascertain the extent and purpose of its nuclear program. Its leaders have repeatedly called for Israel's demise and have propagated base anti-Semitism, including the denial of the Holocaust.

The Iranian regime denies basic freedoms to Iran's citizens, including freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, and freedom of the press. The rights of women, workers, homosexuals, juveniles, religious and ethnic minorities, and political opposition are brutally suppressed.

Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism, providing financial support and training for organizations such as Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad and others, and is believed to be behind many Shiite insurgents in Iraq. Iran is responsible for the bombings of the Israeli Embassy (1992) and the Jewish community center (1994) in Buenos Aires, Argentina, which killed over 200 people and wounded hundreds more.

iamwil
07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I love it when someone who calls himself Father is preaching the sky is falling and armegeddon...

Fear is what built the church and keeps the money flowing into the coffers...

Emet
07-16-2010, 10:36 AM
...the sky is falling...

Indeed it is. As Lewis Black described Iran and it's nuclear capabilities, during a riff about the "Axis of Evil":

And then there was Iran-- insane leader, just as insane as Saddam, completely nuts.
Only they actually have access to nuclear materials that they are beginning to convert into some sort of a bomb that they eventually will put into a missile, and 500 Iranians will throw it at us.

:RpS_laugh:

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I love it when someone who calls himself Father is preaching the sky is falling and armegeddon...

Fear is what built the church and keeps the money flowing into the coffers...

It would be in my best interests not to comment--ahem.

iamwil
07-16-2010, 12:19 PM
It would be in my best interests not to comment--ahem. Is that the same statement the Pope made about relocating wayward priests?

Speaking of Axis of Evil it is time the US started confiscating church property and Archdioces on the basis of RICO statutes and the coverup of an international pedophile ring.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Is that the same statement the Pope made about relocating wayward priests?

Speaking of Axis of Evil it is time the US started confiscating church property and Archdioces on the basis of RICO statutes and the coverup of an international pedophile ring.
And this has what to do with the subject of this thread exactly? It's a screen name. lmao Sheesh. You want to rant about the Catholic church.......then start a thread on that subject. We've already had one rant about his screen name. lol

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Is that the same statement the Pope made about relocating wayward priests?

I can only quote the official stance of the church on these matters---.

iamwil
07-16-2010, 01:51 PM
And this has what to do with the subject of this thread exactly? It's a screen name. lmao Sheesh. You want to rant about the Catholic church.......then start a thread on that subject. We've already had one rant about his screen name. lol Of those that are a direct threat to the citizens and children of the United States on our soil in the past few decades and future decades....who are terrorizing us most?

Its just a question. sheesh.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Then start a thread on the Catholic church if it upsets you that much. That's all I am saying. Is that so difficult to do or understand? I am not saying that it is not a valid concern at all, it is. But it has nothing to do with this thread. And internet screen names and personas have already been discussed on another thread. Father has already been attacked once for that there (and now twice). And as for who has terrorized American citizens in this country the most.........that would be those who murdered over 3,000 innocent men, women, the elderly and babies on our own damn soil and changed the lives of every American forever. How quickly you have forgotten that. Trying to equate that with the Catholic church (and what horrific deeds that it has done) is just asinine.

iamwil
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM
And as for who has terrorized American citizens in this country the most.........that would be those who murdered over 3,000 innocent men, women, the elderly and babies on our own damn soil and changed the lives of every American forever. How quickly you have forgotten that. Trying to equate that with the Catholic church (and what horrific deeds that it has done) is just asinine. That would be Saudi Arabia, can you please keep on topic.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
That's what I have been trying to get you to do. I answered your silly proclamation about the Catholic Church terrorizing Americans and terrorizing them the most when you went off topic in the first place, while also attacking Father for his screen name, on your personal agenda yet again. Rant on. You really are hopeless.

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
If my screen-name and avatar is causing unrest I can change it.Although I must say I have used it for a number of years without a problem.
I was recently challenged on it three times now though,twice here and once over yonder.
For the record Im not a Priest,nor a Catholic.I chose Father Evangelicus as it was the name chosen by a scammer called Gary Martin Beaver now known as Ray st Clair who used that name to form two bogus churches which I exposed on that other forum.I did it so that whenever I posted it was "in his face". Following a following of 35000 viewers the threads disappeared thanks to Zac.
Therefore as this forum is a new beginning perhaps I should have a new I.D.
Not a problem.With the Admins permission I will revert to a former one.Earl Lee Tobed.Hes quite a character.
Admin.is that acceptable? And no Im not being railroaded,Im quite happy to do so.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
If my screen-name and avatar is causing unrest I can change it.Although I must say I have used it for a number of years without a problem.
I was recently challenged on it three times now though,twice here and once over yonder.
For the record Im not a Priest,nor a Catholic.I chose Father Evangelicus as it was the name chosen by a scammer called Gary Martin Beaver now known as Ray st Clair who used that name to form two bogus churches which I exposed on that other forum.I did it so that whenever I posted it was "in his face". Following a following of 35000 viewers the threads disappeared thanks to Zac.
Not a problem.With the Admins permission I will revert to a former one.Earl Lee Tobed.Hes quite a character.
Admin.is that acceptable? And no Im not being railroaded,Im quite happy to do so.Some people on here simply need to get a life. It doesnt bother the rest of us. You are free to have what ever avatar and screen name that you choose. If that upsets someone, too bad. Look at the source. Some people have no sense of reality, the internet, and no sense of humor. They need to get a grip and stop looking so foolish and needing to create drama where there is none. There's been enough drama on here as it is. Attacking someone for their avatar and or screen name has got to be the lamest damn thing I have ever seen, frankly.

Emet
07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Father: Your screen name is not causing unrest. I'm not sure who started it, but monkey see, monkey do, ya know what I mean?

You are, of course free to make your own choice. But maybe we should look at who is challenging it, eh... and why...

More importantly, who really cares?

Personally, I like it, and the persona that goes with it. I'm not Catholic, but even if you chose the leader of my religious upbringing as your screen name, I would not be the least bit offended... and would probably get more of the jokes!

ETA: ALA types faster than I do. :RpS_sad:

Soapboxmom
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Admin.is that acceptable? And no Im not being railroaded,Im quite happy to do so.
Earl was pretty dang hot! The Red Baron in the flesh to be sure! Choose whatever name you wish to use and I can fix it in the admin panel so all your posts will be under your new name or you can start completely fresh. Just let me know what you would like to do.

Soapboxmom

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Father: Your screen name is not causing unrest. I'm not sure who started it, but monkey see, monkey do, ya know what I mean?

You are, of course free to make your own choice. But maybe we should look at who is challenging it, eh... and why...

More importantly, who really cares?

Personally, I like it, and the persona that goes with it. I'm not Catholic, but even if you chose the leader of my religious upbringing as your screen name, I would not be the least bit offended... and would probably get more of the jokes!

ETA: ALA types faster than I do. :RpS_sad:Yeah, but I make waaaayyyy more typos. lol I am with you. There are more things in life to worry about than a screen name and an avatar on an internet forum for cripes sake. Some people just have to make an issue out of anything.

Emet
07-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah, but I make waaaayyyy more typos. <snip>
...for cripes sake.

Wait... are you now taking the name of Crępes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crępe) in vain?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/RiverIsMyGoddess/icons/smiley_ROFL3.gif

iamwil
07-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, but I make waaaayyyy more typos. lol I am with you. There are more things in life to worry about than a screen name and an avatar on an internet forum for cripes sake. Some people just have to make an issue out of anything. Yes they do don't they.

I was responding to the good fathers post of
It would be in my best interests not to comment--ahem. to which the combination of that post, his screen name and description led me to a response.

That response led me to compare the real or perceived danger Iran poses to the US vs. the real or perceived occurances we read about regularly in our papers right now, right here on these shores.

I have no issues with Father's monikor, avatar or identification....won't stop me from making remarks about it when the mood strikes though.

So I kept on target....and answered your question regarding the twin towers...which were not brought down by the gov'ts of Iran, Iraq or Afganistan, but by rebels born, raised and incited to violence in madrases in the homeland of our friends of the house of Saud.

So the topic is Iran and the Bomb... and I'll suppose I'll repeat for those that can't read between the lines.... I think we have bigger fish to fry, both home and abroad.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.brianculler.com/images/picard.jpg

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.brianculler.com/images/picard.jpg

Thats not me---Ive got more hair than that!

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Wait... are you now taking the name of Crępes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crępe) in vain?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/RiverIsMyGoddess/icons/smiley_ROFL3.gifYeah and it's perfectly on topic. I was responding to...blah....blah....blah... and then he said blah blah blah and then I said blah blah blah and I am too lazy to start a thread on my personal issues blah blah blah and his avatar sucks blah blah blah and I am going to be right even if I am not and more blah blah blah oh hell what was the point....oh yeah.....there wasn't one. ROTFL!

http://www.msn101.com/content/emoticons/Tantrum_N95XUY.gif

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Earl was pretty dang hot! The Red Baron in the flesh to be sure! Choose whatever name you wish to use and I can fix it in the admin panel so all your posts will be under your new name or you can start completely fresh. Just let me know what you would like to do.

Soapboxmom

OK thats good
.Manana I become Earl Lee Tobed/Red Baron/Squadron Leader Extraordinaire/Marlboro smoking/Womens Hero,of old--- once more.It shall be done!

To the skies---and beyond! Anyone got a light?

Emet
07-16-2010, 04:26 PM
ALA: Are you not clicking on my links???

Are you missing my lame jokes???

Including the Pizzle/Pizzelle one???

Soapboxmom
07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
OK thats good
.Manana I become Earl Lee Tobed/Red Baron/Squadron Leader Extraordinaire/Marlboro smoking/Womens Hero,of old--- once more.It shall be done!

To the skies---and beyond! Anyone got a light?
How is that hot stuff?

Soapboxmom

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
I just did, posted about it on the other thread.

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:50 PM
OK thats good

To the skies---and beyond! Anyone got a light?Ahhhh man, you caved!!! Well, I am sure someone will find something to carp about anyways.

Captain Loomis Birkhead describing his bomber aircraft: "It's big. The biggest one here. You know what else? It's got a lot of range. You know what I mean by range, don't you? I mean it can stay up for a long time. A very long time. And it's built firm and solid. Because it has to be. Because of its tremendous forward thrust. And when this baby delivers its payload... devastating."

A Life Aloft
07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
I never mentioned the twin towers. I was talking about 9/11, the entire event. Apparently you have forgotten UAL 93 and AA 77 in your rant to justify your behavior.

I have no issues with Father's monikor, avatar or identification....won't stop me from making remarks about it when the mood strikes though.
I feel sorry for you, I really do. He has a new avatar and internet persona, now. Perhaps you can rant about that next. You know, bring up WWII or cigars or something. lol

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Im a hasbeen--sob,sob,---no im born again--again---again.

No,Im a patriot,---WW2 vet---no,no---Heck Im Earl Lee Tobed,and proud!

Question for Admin,how do I log in tomorrow with my name change?

Me no savvy wid puters?(seriously!)

Earl Lee Tobed
07-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Im scared to log off---in case I cant get back on,help please Admin.

Soapboxmom
07-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Just type in your new username and usual password. If you have any problems my e-mail is in my sig.

Soapboxmom

Mike!
07-16-2010, 07:02 PM
So just like that, Father jumps in and out of a phone booth (An antique enclosure containing a coin operated land line telephone for our younger readers) and now he's a World War Two flying ace?
What'd I miss here?
I think you been drinking to much jibber juice, not that there's anything wrong with that...

Earl Lee Tobed
07-17-2010, 04:04 AM
So just like that, Father jumps in and out of a phone booth (An antique enclosure containing a coin operated land line telephone for our younger readers) and now he's a World War Two flying ace?
What'd I miss here?
I think you been drinking to much jibber juice, not that there's anything wrong with that...

It was a red phone box---and I like jibber juice!

Doc Bunkum
07-17-2010, 06:01 AM
What'd I miss here?

Phone booth?

I pictured a confessional.

Who am I going to turn to now for spiritual guidance?

Earl Lee Tobed
07-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Phone booth?

I pictured a confessional.

Who am I going to turn to now for spiritual guidance?

Erm---a WW2 Pilot?

Doc Bunkum
07-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Earl Lee Tobed/Red Baron/Squadron Leader Extraordinaire/Marlboro smoking/Womens Hero,of old--- once more.It shall be done!

To the skies---and beyond!

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/planes/038.jpg

Brakes work.

Check!

Earl Lee Tobed
07-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Thats a hair-dryer.
This is what I fly----.