PDA

View Full Version : Police

Poyol
10-23-2012, 10:29 AM
So,

I've been trying to get into Greater Manchester Police for a while now. It's not happening, I keep being rejected.

Does anybody know the Chief Constable? Ha. It's not what you know ...

It's quite depressing being knocked back for the only job you want multiple times.

Jason

scratchycat
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Sounds like things in UK or no different than USA. Yes, it is WHO YOU KNOW!! I don't suppose that will ever change since it has been happening from when I entered the work force so many years ago. I see now all the time, maybe even more so since people don't trust who you are unless they know someone who knows you. They can get all the info from online sources now which makes it very important to watch what you post online especially if you are still in the working world.

kschang
10-23-2012, 12:55 PM
In the US you pretty much *have* to graduate from a police academy to even be CONSIDERED, much less employed. Budgets are cut all over here and they are cutting cadet class sizes year after year, consolidating training of surrounding counties and such. Merely knowing people isn't enough any more.

Poyol
10-23-2012, 01:04 PM
There aren't any police academies over here. There's only politically correct application forms - which I mustn't have given the answers they wanted.

path2prosperity
10-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Jason,

It was good talking to you about the application and some of the answers that you had given.

However I can assure you that when there are more than a few applications for specific jobs, the people who prepare the shortlists do not think about each applicant, they dismiss most on the basis of their preconceived ideas. I had one firm who would not interview anybody who mentioned God or religion on their application form, another did not want anybody with a "posh accent" and so on.

You would be amazed by the amount of time it takes to give any serious consideration to an application form. The most important thing for anybody doing a proper selection is to rememember the market for that person's skills when he or she started out on their chosen career. You can not process hundreds of applications properly.

path2prosperity
10-23-2012, 06:35 PM
There aren't any police academies over here. There's only politically correct application forms - which I mustn't have given the answers they wanted.

The answers which most employers want from a job applicant do not exist Justin. The very first thing I did when I accepted a recruiitment campaign for a Company, was to get the Company to select a group of people to meet me and explain the type of person whom they thought they wanted for that particular job. What did each member of the group have to say?

For example.

Most said they wanted a good communicator but what on earth does that mean? Did they want a good presenter of facts or did they mean somebody who is perceptive to the feelings of others? Did they want a person with a lot of charm and charisma? Did they really want a good listener or did they they mean they wanted somebody who "hears what they want to hear?" Did they want somebody with highly developed written communication skills?

The conclusion was usually that they wanted all those skills is one person. When I had established the fact that that the person they wanted was a figment of the imagination, we were able to move on and establish where they would have to use others in the team to compensate for lack of some skills in the new employee.

When the employer agrees on the compromises which they will have to make to find the best person that is when they can start selecting the best candidates for the job.

scratchycat
10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I will stick to what I said about 'knowing the right people' and it is based upon facts. I have 2 sons who both graduated from college with degrees. The counselors were no where to be found during their senior years as they had promised to help them get jobs. They received NO help from the college and with little or no experience in the degrees they held, they were forced to resort to what they were doing before they went to college. Working very hard to further educate themselves and prepare for future jobs they continued education. My youngest son resorted to joining the US Navy and has worked very hard to achieve his status now of Lieutenant. My eldest son went on to pursue an accounting degree which he obtained however he moved to another State to find a job. They both graduated college in the 1990's and the job market was at a very low ebb. They had friends who were able to get jobs and get hired because 'they knew the right people'. Unfortunately none of us were at that time acquainted with any influential people. We made it, they made it and both are doing very well now but it has not been easy - as we were not promised life would be easy. I believe a good education does pay off in the long run but you STILL have to have contact with the right people at the right time to get hired.

Jason, you just need encouragement and that is what you will get from me. I think you will do well if you continue with what you are doing and make the most of it. Take online courses or something and get involved in what you are most interested in (as you are doing). It will happen, just takes time, patience and persistence.

path2prosperity
10-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Jason, you just need encouragement and that is what you will get from me. I think you will do well if you continue with what you are doing and make the most of it. Take online courses or something and get involved in what you are most interested in (as you are doing). It will happen, just takes time, patience and persistence.

I think I remember reading an article about WPC Yvonne Fletcher who had spent six years trying to get accepted in the Police Force. She was an inch too short or something silly like that. She suceeded in the end but she was one of the unfortunates who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So sad for such a dedicated young woman.

Jason says that he has another chance before the end of the year. Best of luck Jason.

There are other legal authorities. Have you considered Customs and Excise Jason?

grumpyoldfart
10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
So,

I've been trying to get into Greater Manchester Police for a while now. It's not happening, I keep being rejected.

Does anybody know the Chief Constable? Ha. It's not what you know ...

It's quite depressing being knocked back for the only job you want multiple times.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Its a real bummer when this happens, I take it you are above the height limit and passed all the entrance exams? The only thing I can think of as to why you keep being rejected is you may have some unsavery relatives in your family tree, or you have some friends or contacts that the police don't like or the address where you live is blacklisted.

Why don't you try another police constabulary say Yorkshire or Lancashire?

Regards
John.