PDA

View Full Version : Let's Have a Bellyache

path2prosperity
06-26-2012, 01:38 AM
I can not help believing in Darwin's survival of the fittest when I have to pay my vet bills. I am not the financially fittest cat owner but keeping a cat in London is getting very expensive and I can't be sure if cats or natural selection are choosing owners with enough cash in the bank for their cat's old age!. They all seem to develop high thyroid problems as they age and the price of drugs for treating them for that condition, went up by nearly 30% last month. They get bad teeth and dental treatment for cats in London costs the earth. They puke up on your carpets, if they don't like the food you give them and want some tasty morsels out of a tin that doesn't offend their taste buds!

Why do people like me allow a cat to be the boss in my home? They are expensive luxuries but it is hard to say No to a cat's needs.

Soapboxmom
06-26-2012, 07:34 AM
I can not help believing in Darwin's survival of the fittest when I have to pay my vet bills. I am not the financially fittest cat owner but keeping a cat in London is getting very expensive and I can't be sure if cats or natural selection are choosing owners with enough cash in the bank for their cat's old age!. They all seem to develop high thyroid problems as they age and the price of drugs for treating them for that condition, went up by nearly 30% last month. They get bad teeth and dental treatment for cats in London costs the earth. They puke up on your carpets, if they don't like the food you give them and want some tasty morsels out of a tin that doesn't offend their taste buds!

Why do people like me allow a cat to be the boss in my home? They are expensive luxuries but it is hard to say No to a cat's needs.
Just the same for us and our 3 bunnies and fosters that come and go. Anything for our precious babies!

Soapboxmom

scratchycat
06-26-2012, 12:02 PM
We just lost our 11 year old female Meagol. She was solid black and just a dainty little thing but she was a natural born hunter. She just couldn't help but catch and eat rabbits, she knew where the holes with the babies were and she could also catch a much larger one. I am afraid eating the rabbits is what made her sick each year and this year she just couldn't fight it off. I took her to vet for shots each time but as soon as she got well enough she was back night-hunting & eating. We surely miss her because she was a fixture around here. We still have one of her first babies, Little Miss and she is bigger and much stronger and so far healthy. We will keep her as long as we can and she will stay with us. After that, no more cats for us. We have our yellow lab mix but no more. It is too heart-breaking to lose them.

Forget insurance for animals we can't even afford it for humans! Are you feeling sorry for us yet!!?? Please don't, we are doing fine!

path2prosperity
06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
We just lost our 11 year old female Meagol. She was solid black and just a dainty little thing but she was a natural born hunter. She just couldn't help but catch and eat rabbits, she knew where the holes with the babies were and she could also catch a much larger one. I am afraid eating the rabbits is what made her sick each year and this year she just couldn't fight it off. I took her to vet for shots each time but as soon as she got well enough she was back night-hunting & eating. We surely miss her because she was a fixture around here. We still have one of her first babies, Little Miss and she is bigger and much stronger and so far healthy. We will keep her as long as we can and she will stay with us. After that, no more cats for us. We have our yellow lab mix but no more. It is too heart-breaking to lose them.

Forget insurance for animals we can't even afford it for humans! Are you feeling sorry for us yet!!?? Please don't, we are doing fine!

Of course I feel sorry for you loosing her but the old adage that it is better to have loved and lost than never loved before even applies to relationships with our animals. It is lucky my ex husband didn't mind sharing our bed with cats.

I was not allowed to go to bed without a cat when I was a child, as they woke us up when the supersonic rockets were going over, before the air raid warnings picked up the signals. The whole family rushed downstairs and hid in places where the cats were at ease.

Nancetta
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
We just lost our 11 year old female Meagol. She was solid black and just a dainty little thing but she was a natural born hunter.

I'm sorry to hear this. I am an animal lover, but mostly a 'cat' lover...

I was not allowed to go to bed without a cat when I was a child, as they woke us up when the supersonic rockets were going over, before the air raid warnings picked up the signals. The whole family rushed downstairs and hid in places where the cats were at ease.

Wow, I have never heard of this before, but I get it. Cats can hear higher-pitched sounds more so than humans. I am assuming the supersonic rockets were very high-pitched designed not for the human ear to hear...for obvious reasons.

Thanks for sharing this with us Path2prosperity.

scratchycat
06-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Of course I feel sorry for you loosing her but the old adage that it is better to have loved and lost than never loved before even applies to relationships with our animals. It is lucky my ex husband didn't mind sharing our bed with cats.

Thanks P2P, when I can do it, I am going to make a memorial page for her. She was a very special cat (as all of them are!).

That is very interesting about sleeping with a cat. Yes, just like dogs, they can hear noises before they ever reach human ears. That was even better than an alarm, great idea!

scratchycat
06-28-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. I am an animal lover, but mostly a 'cat' lover...

Thank you Nancetta, I did love that cat and now everywhere I go in the house it seems I think of her. Yes, she is in Cat Heaven and free of pain but terribly missed here. At least we still have one of her first babies who is a sweetie black & white female.

path2prosperity
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks P2P, when I can do it, I am going to make a memorial page for her. She was a very special cat (as all of them are!).

That is very interesting about sleeping with a cat. Yes, just like dogs, they can hear noises before they ever reach human ears. That was even better than an alarm, great idea!

Don't I know the feeling "scratcthy." I think of cats that I loved almost seventy years ago. I will never forget them. I miss my horse andan Old English sheepdog which we had on our farm just as much.

I am not sure of the physics but the Hitler's V2 rockets were supersonic, you heard the engines cut out but you heard nothing as they came to earth but cats knew the direction before us. They were the best air raid warnings in the "doodlebug era" because dogs stayed with their human family but cats fled for their lives.