PDA

View Full Version : 85 MPH Speed Limit?????

Soapboxmom
06-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Texas Toll Road Could Have 85MPH Speed Limit « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/06/07/texas-toll-road-could-have-85mph-speed-limit/?hpt=us_bn8)

I intend to fight this tooth and nail. 60 is perfect and the forces of a crash are within the realm of reasonable. Anything over that I vigorously object to for safety reasons. The toll road near our home has a 70 mph limit and cars rocket along carelessly at 85. This is insanity.

60 should be the limit period!!!

Soapboxmom

Nancetta
06-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Texas Toll Road Could Have 85MPH Speed Limit « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/06/07/texas-toll-road-could-have-85mph-speed-limit/?hpt=us_bn8)

I intend to fight this tooth and nail. 60 is perfect and the forces of a crash are within the realm of reasonable. Anything over that I vigorously object to for safety reasons. The toll road near our home has a 70 mph limit and cars rocket along carelessly at 85. This is insanity.

60 should be the limit period!!!

Soapboxmom

Good for you, SBM! I don't know about where you live, but people here shouldn't even be allowed to drive 50 mph let alone 60, 70, or 85 mph...

Eddie Haskell
06-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Let me just say as an avid motorcycle rider speed is the least of the worries I have. Any motorcycle rider will tell you that your senses are tuned in to whats around you and whats going on 10x what the average guy in the car is. There are no distractions other than identifying the next potential threat to you. Speed is not a killer under the right conditions within reason of course. Weather, traffic, road conditions, all play a part.

The speed limit in my state is 70 mph on interstates and parkways. I run 70-75 just to keep from getting run over. Depending upon the size of the motorcycle some will struggle to maintain these speeds.

The biggest thing I see are distracted drivers. I mean its bad when you are really tuned in. Cell phone texting is the worst followed by the lady putting on her lipstick that is late to work and yelling at the kids.
People pull out in front of you because they dont see you is the next thing and I have just accepted that its going to happen. The old saying that loud pipes save lives is true in many cases. They at least hear you coming. When I get back in the car I am super sensitive and attentive especially to those on two wheels.

I was lucky enough to whistle through Montana back in the day at triple digits plus some when there was no limit and it was completely safe given the circumstances. I loved every mile of it. Probably would not be a good idea through downtown Atlanta though.