PDA

View Full Version : The Network Marketing Paradox

Doc Bunkum
04-24-2012, 09:02 AM
An interesting conundrum a reader on BetterNetworker presents. One I'm sure many thousands upon thousands that have been beguiled by the false promises of MLM have also faced.

The Network Marketing Paradox (http://www.betternetworker.com/forums/sound-off-f11/the-network-marketing-paradox-t28898.html)

I’ve been toying with sharing an idea for probably 9 months now... a conversation to liberate those who need a graceful way out of network marketing. Hmmm?

Hmmm? is right - this sounds promising!

You see, my wife and I spent 10 years in network marketing never making enough money to cover our autoship. We worked and studied, trained and applied ourselves but enrolled only a very few short-lived people. It was a tough realization, but I finally had to admit to myself that I wasn’t going to be a 5% network marketer; it just wasn’t going to turn out way I thought it was going to. The question became how to come to peaceful terms with ten years and thousands of dollars – gone?

Don't feel alone, Rick, you're not. Your upline will tell you that you just didn't buy enough tools or attend enough conventions.

Relentlessly, this quote echoed in my brain – “Winners never quit and quitters never win.” “Winners never quit and quitters never win.” I didn’t want to be labeled as a quitter, which is the equivalent in my mind to being a loser. No way was that going to happen. So, like staying in a bad marriage just for the sake of the kids, we continued to work and work and work.

Uh, oh!

I understood the full impact of not making any money and I had lost any motivation for what I was doing. I thought network marketing was the finest business model on the planet but when I looked hard at it, best business model or not, it made no sense to continue any longer.

If only you had realized that 10 years sooner...

I didn’t want to be selling products any longer. I didn’t want to talk to anyone about the “business.” I didn’t really have a business of my own, no, I was a glorified salesman for “the company.” I was an independent contractor, a commissioned salesman, nothing more. Looking in the mirror became tougher and tougher. I began to consider that maybe I was a loser.

You're right about the being a glorified salesman for “the company” part - but not the being a loser part. It's the MLM model that's the loser, Rick, not you.

The Conundrum

The problem I face today is finding a way to assist others to resolve the conflict they feel when they entertain an idea like leaving network marketing. It’s so contrary to everything that has been taught. Network marketers have had their brains hammered by experts to think positive, to believe in your why, to reach for your goals, to just talk to one more person because you never know if that person is “The One.” Nothing wrong with those teachings, but you are left with the thought that leaving is abhorrent, blasphemy, the devils work.

At what point do you really take stock of a situation from a business view, take the emotions and the fairy tales out of the equation and say enough is enough? But, how can you pull the plug on a vehicle that is purported to fulfill your dreams? That’s the paradox I faced and I know others do too. And, how do I help those people who’ve thought about leaving network marketing but can’t see a hopeful future without it?

What would you advise a friend in this kind of a predicament? Like a smoker you’d tell them to go cold turkey and find something else to do. Go chew some gum. Could you take that advice?

Good question, how would you advise a friend in this kind of a predicament?

Whip
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I understood the full impact of not making any money and I had lost any motivation for what I was doing. I thought network marketing was the finest business model on the planet but when I looked hard at it, best business model or not, it made no sense to continue any longer.

Ok. How can this possibly be the 'best business model'? I have people, who don't even know me, come to me for my services (which is a service people actually need but they don't have to come to me), yet network marketers can't even get started without their 'friends and family'?

littleroundman
04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Good question, how would you advise a friend in this kind of a predicament?

Forget all the out of context motivational cliches.

Forget all the positive thinking.

Think 110 lb 5'6" white guy.

Think center Detroit Pistons.

It ain't gonna happen and no amount of positive thinking, coaching, money or inspirational literature is gonna make it happen.

Does that mean he can't play basketball ??

No

Does that mean he can't be intimately involved with the Detroit Pistons and/or the NBA ??

No

Are "negative thinking" lack of clear goal setting or a "quitter mentality" the barriers to him being center for the Detroit Pistons ??

No

Can "anyone" do "anything" or "everyone" do "everything" ??

No

The USA has a current population of 310+ million people.

What are the odds a cliched "positive thinking" message or "action plan" or "goal setting" exercise would apply to every one of those 310+ MILLION people ??