PDA

View Full Version : Rip off cell phone scam using walmart name

scratchycat
04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
IMPORTANT!!

Cell phone users pay attention. There is a scam going that sends a text message to your cell phone saying you might have just won a $1,000 Walmart Gift Card, if you try to read this message, it will deduct 30 minutes from your phone. I accidentally viewed two of these messages having a total of 1 hour deducted. I did not have my glasses on and could not see the options button and hit view.

The number is: 951-219-2151

Today I filed a compliant with FTC (http://www.ftc.gov/) and plan on filing one with IC3 (http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx) also.

Here is a link to where others have received calls from this number also. If you call the number you just get this is not a working number.

951-219-2151 / 9512192151 (http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-951-219-2151#p382786513984204668)

littleroundman
04-18-2012, 09:55 AM
It seems you're not alone.

All the calls seem to have been within the last week:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/thelittleroundman/email.jpg

http://www.callercenter.com/951-219-2151.html (http://www.callercenter.com/951-219-2151.html)

scratchycat
04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Thank you LRM for that information. I have just shared this on my Facebook pages. The more compliants the sooner to get it removed!!

Whip
04-18-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't understand how they can allegedly 'deduct' minutes. The 'line' would have to remain open and in use in order to do that.

scratchycat
04-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't understand how they can allegedly 'deduct' minutes. The 'line' would have to remain open and in use in order to do that.

Well, I am sorry but this is what happened and it is not 'allegedly' Whip, it actually happened when I tried to view it and sat there in amazement while it deducted 30 minutes off my cell phone.

I know I
should have just closed it but I was a little in shock that this could happen. Also, I was on a trip and receiving calls from family members and if I don't have my reading glasses on, I cannot see what to select and they 'fooled' me twice. Oh yes, it took one hour off my phone minutes, believe me.

Whip
04-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Is this some sort of pre-paid phone? How are minutes 'stored' on a phone? I can get a call (same thing really) from someone and verizon keeps track of the minutes used. They can not 'deduct' minutes from my verizon account. It also seems you are the only one making this claim. All the others are just bothered by getting the text.

scratchycat
04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Is this some sort of pre-paid phone? How are minutes 'stored' on a phone? I can get a call (same thing really) from someone and verizon keeps track of the minutes used. They can not 'deduct' minutes from my verizon account. It also seems you are the only one making this claim. All the others are just bothered by getting the text.

Whip, I have a Tracfone and I do not know what happened except for the fact it deducted 1 hour of minutes from my phone. If you know something I don't, please share.

Whip
04-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Whip, I have a Tracfone and I do not know what happened except for the fact it deducted 1 hour of minutes from my phone. If you know something I don't, please share.

I don't know any of this. That's what I'm trying to find out. I have a monthly plan with verizon.

scratchycat
04-20-2012, 07:58 AM

Whip, my cell phone is a pre-paid deal with Tracfone, I don't use it except for trips to town and back and like going to California. If I understood how this could happen I would be happy to tell you. I have tried to find information on Tracfone's website but have failed to find anything.

Of course with my luck I am the ONLY one having this problem!!! Thanks for helping.

littleroundman
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Sounds like this is a variation of the "premium rate" scam.

You probably haven't had minutes deducted, more than likely you've received a "premium rate" text and/or inadvertently responded.

You've been charged at a high (premium) rate, so your remaining minute count/remaining credit has dropped.

Do a quick Google on "premium rate SMS scam" and you'll see thousands of complaints along similar lines.

Google 951-219-2151 as well, and you'll see the same number has been used in all sorts of scams.

I'd be contacting Tracfone ASAP.

scratchycat
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Sounds like this is a variation of the "premium rate" scam.

You probably haven't had minutes deducted, more than likely you've received a "premium rate" text and/or inadvertently responded.

You've been charged at a high (premium) rate, so your remaining minute count/remaining credit has dropped.

Do a quick Google on "premium rate SMS scam" and you'll see thousands of complaints along similar lines.

Google 951-219-2151 as well, and you'll see the same number has been used in all sorts of scams.

I'd be contacting Tracfone ASAP.

Thanks LRM. I have contacted TracFone and as I was doing this I received another text message, this one has shown up before and it is from REDBOX. Now that I am being very careful, I did a Google search and contacted their CS. It seems my phone number has been put in to receive offers and they assured me it would be removed. Well, I can only hope so...

https://redbox.custhelp.com/app/ask

So it seems I have been scammed by 2 companies. Redbox and the walmart scam. How did I get so lucky?? For one thing I have not learned much about mobile phones so I guess those are some learning lessons!

path2prosperity
04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Whip, my cell phone is a pre-paid deal with Tracfone.

Of course with my luck I am the ONLY one having this problem!!! Thanks for helping.

Pre paid or pay as you go mobiles are "out of the ark" scratchy. People under the age of seventy may not be as familiar with them as we oldies! I have just changed onto a network one and I can't figure the darn thing out. I have no idea how to copy and paste with my new one and I won't use it to visit a web site. If I get onto the net with these new frangled devices, I find mundane tasks cost far too much. the thought of mobile phone scams makes me even more paranoid about using one.

scratchycat
05-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Pre paid or pay as you go mobiles are "out of the ark" scratchy. People under the age of seventy may not be as familiar with them as we oldies! I have just changed onto a network one and I can't figure the darn thing out. I have no idea how to copy and paste with my new one and I won't use it to visit a web site. If I get onto the net with these new frangled devices, I find mundane tasks cost far too much. the thought of mobile phone scams makes me even more paranoid about using one.

Yes, I have been told a few times that I came over by the Ark!! Truly I do not like cellphones except for the convenience of safety while traveling.

Today while we were in a local chain store, the manager & helper were discussing a similar call and he was so excited that he might win $1,000 from Walmart. Since they were being open with their conversation I joined in and told them it was a scam. Not sure they believed me but if not, they will find out!!

scratchycat
05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Also what I did was put all our telephone numbers into our government's "no call list", it works in some instances but not all of them.

Whip
05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Also what I did was put all our telephone numbers into our government's "no call list", it works in some instances but not all of them.

I won't. Scammers use that more for harvesting numbers. They don't have to do any work to compile a list of good numbers. It's useless. The government rarely does squat about it.