Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilgore College Hires Derrick Logozzo (Dallas College / DCCCD Richland Music Advisor Out of State Tuition Scam)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

re: Kilgore College Hires Derrick Logozzo (Dallas College / DCCCD Richland Music Advisor Out of State Tuition Scam)

Instead of being on the Guided Pathways they are supposed to be on, Richland students are on The Highway to HELL!!!

Living easy, living free
    Season ticket on a one-way ride
    Asking nothing, leave me be
    Taking everything in my stride
    Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
    Ain't nothing I would rather do
    Going down, party time
    My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on the highway to hell
    On the highway to hell
    Highway to hell

No stop signs, speed limit
    Nobody's gonna slow me down
    Like a wheel, gonna spin it
    Nobody's gonna mess me around
    Hey Satan, paid my dues
    Playing in a rocking band
    Hey mama, look at me
    I'm on my way to the promised land, whoo!

Highway to hell
    Highway to hell

Don't stop me
    On the highway to hell
    On the highway
    Yeah, highway to hell
    Highway to hell
    Highway to hell

And I'm going down
    All the way
    Whoa!

Students who walk into the Music Building, Fannin Hall, have an alarming habit of turning into music majors. Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan don't hold students to the standards of any real school of music as they are simply filling chairs. Students are not put on the Guided Pathway and taking the universal core classes that all degrees require so that they can actually get an Associate's and then Bachelor's Degree and be able to change majors as many of them should and will want to do. Logan and Logozzo load students down with dozens of music hours that are not on any degree plan and lead them straight down the highway to out of state tuition and loss of financial aid hell!
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

re: Kilgore College Hires Derrick Logozzo (Dallas College / DCCCD Richland Music Advisor Out of State Tuition Scam)

Graduation-Rates Campaign Heads to Dallas | The Texas Tribune

Graduation-Rates Campaign Heads to Dallas

A new billboard that will tower over Dallas' North Central Expressway on Monday offers a startling message on college graduation rates, an effort by a state business group to turn the spotlight on the the state's lagging higher ed outcomes.

A new billboard that will tower over Dallas' North Central Expressway on Monday offers a startling message: "8% OF DCCCD STUDENTS GRADUATE IN 3 YRS. IS THAT FAIR TO THE STUDENTS? TX ASSN OF BUSINESS."
    DCCCD is the Dallas County Community College District. The Texas Association of Business is an advocacy group for Texas business owners that has made lagging graduation rates at the state's higher education institutions a pet issue....."We're looking at a massive shortage of educated workforce unless we increase the productivity of education in Texas," Hammond said. "Overall, two-thirds of the jobs of the future will require some post-secondary degree or certificate."
    That was posted in 2011. Things will never improve as long as dirty music advisors are on a mission to fill chairs. Putting students into dozens of hours of music classes that will never transfer, put students into out of state tuition if they transfer, exhausts their eligibility for financial aid and do not lead to any marketable skills is downright criminal. Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan are wasting mountains of tax dollars and the DCCCD and Richland administration is asleep at the wheel. Students should be sent to Career Services, the Transfer Center and the real advisors to get set up to do something that is going to lead to a real job. The taxpayers shouldn't be funding this party that never ends!
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Which majors make money? New Texas law aims to let college applicants know - Business - Austin American-Statesman - Austin, TX

By Bob Sechler
    Posted Dec 27, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Texas business leaders say they’re all for college students pursuing their passions, even if it means majoring in contemporary dance, sculpture or something similarly esoteric.

They’d just like to convey a few financial details first -- like the probability of earning a bigger paycheck as a computer programmer, or even a plumber.
    “A lot of people have no clue” how many jobs are available in various occupations and what they pay, said Tony Bennett, president of the Texas Association of Manufacturers. “If you know that going in, and you still pick whatever (major or profession), that’s fine.”

Come Jan. 1, wage and workforce statistics will have a higher profile during the application process to Texas colleges and universities, under a measure backed by Bennett’s organization and other business groups around the state and approved by lawmakers during this year’s session of the Texas Legislature.

It requires a “prominent link” to the data on the standardized electronic college application -- called ApplyTexas -- used by about 450,000 prospective students annually....

The database provides comparisons of public two- and four-year postsecondary institutions in Texas, including statistics on average earnings and debt burdens for graduates of various programs.

For instance, annual wages earned by a 2015 graduate with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts from a Texas institution averaged about $36,000 after three years, according to the data, compared to about $81,000 for a computer science major and $56,000 for a graduate of a plumbing certification program.

Backers of boosting the profile of such workforce-related information say it’s more important than ever for students to consider, because the cost of higher education and the amount of debt needed to pay for it have risen dramatically.

But the effort isn’t entirely altruistic. With the Texas labor market stretched thin and the unemployment rate historically low, business advocates also say it’s essential for the economy that the skills of new graduates match up relatively well on average with the qualifications being sought in the multitudes of help-wanted postings across the state.
    “We need to organically grow more Texas students with certain skills that businesses are looking for,” said Justin Yancy, president of the Texas Business Leadership Council.....

“For us, it really is about the comprehensive picture when we’re counseling students (on possible majors), and that is one piece of information,” Wasielewski said....
    Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan wouldn't be able to make almost every student that walks into the door a music major if they had the facts. Students are not sent to Career Services and are told that the Transfer Center and other advisors don't know what they are talking about. Some cold hard facts are definitely in order! The dirty advisors are wasting students' financial aid and in state tuition eligible hours. Richland's motto is complete BS for those trapped in dozens of hours of music classes that will not transfer, are not on any degree plan, exhaust students' financial aid, puts students into out of state / non-resident tuition and does not give them any marketable job skills.

higher education that actually gets you hired!..... my a$$!!!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Access Denied

Before letting Logozzo and Logan make any life ruining choices for them, students should investigate all of their options. Career Services, the real Advising Center and the Transfer Center are good places to start. The article linked will get students asking questions and exploring options before they end up with over 100 hours of music crap that leads nowhere but out of state tuition and exhausting of financial aid.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These Heartbreaking Stories Show Hard It Is To Pay For College

The reality of paying for college. Having a truthful advisor that gives students all the options and information they need is vital. Richland College music advisors filling their own music chairs is criminal. Real families struggle to pay for college and want their kids to have a better life. DCCCD is wasting our tax dollars and destroying students' lives with dishonest advising!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Under new Texas law, college employees could be fired and charged for not reporting sexual misconduct
    Under Senate Bill 212 starting Jan. 1, employees at Texas universities could face criminal charges and lose their jobs if they fail to report incidents of sexual harassment, assault, stalking or dating violence.

Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston, said she wrote the bill to address gaps in the reporting process at some universities.
    Examples of Sexual Harassment

The following descriptions, while not all-inclusive, will help you understand the types of behavior that are considered “conduct of a sexual nature” and that, if unwelcome, may constitute sexual harassment:

Unwanted sexual statements: Sexual or “dirty” jokes, comments on physical attributes, spreading rumors about or rating others as to sexual activity or performance, talking about one’s sexual activity in front of others and displaying or distributing sexually explicit drawings, pictures and/or written material. Unwanted sexual statements can be made in person, in writing, electronically (email, instant messaging, blogs, web pages, etc.) and otherwise.

Unwanted personal attention: Letters, telephone calls, visits, pressure for sexual favors, pressure for unnecessary personal interaction and pressure for dates where a sexual/romantic intent appears evident but remains unwanted.

Unwanted physical or sexual advances: Touching, hugging, kissing, fondling, touching oneself sexually for others to view, sexual assault, intercourse or other sexual activity.
    Derrick Logozzo won't be telling students that have been sexually harassed to work it out among themselves any more! Reporting issues like that is his job, so that those who are qualified can step in and deal with it properly. Men have a right to feel safe on campus and on school sponsored trips. Sexual harassment is not a joke and it should never be tolerated.

Richland will not be able to sweep the crime on campus under the rug any more either. A female student that refuses the sexual advances of another female student shouldn't have a pound of marijuana waved in her face on campus to entice her to "get wasted" and go out with the women she did not wish to have a sexual relationship with and had already made that abundantly clear to. And, when that alleged drug dealer is reported to police departments, the student that turned down the sexual aggressor in writing shouldn't be further victimized by the Richland Administration. That student with the pound of what she said was pot tried to finger her victim for the pot because the campus police report never made it to the Vice President's desk to be dealt with in the first place, but local police and Child Protective Services were contacting her and she was enraged. An innocent high school student that resembled the victim then got pulled in by the Richland Campus police and questioned about the marijuana. That student left the Richland high school program and finished her schooling elsewhere. The Richland VP was going to give the victim's class schedule to the alleged drug dealer so that Richland could put both victim and aggressor under a No Contact Order. An alleged drug dealer shouldn't be given that information as that jeopardizes the safety of the student that she is harassing. The student being harassed by the drug dealer did not feel safe on campus and missed a great deal of class due to Richland being incapable of dealing with the situation in a timely or reasonable manner.

The total lack of communication and action by DCCCD and Richland will have to be addressed. Students, paying parents and taxpayers all expect that students will be safe on campus and issues will be addressed effectively and immediately. That includes advising being done by the book! Richland is turning into a drug campus and students are not safe!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All DCCCD employees are expected to report actual or suspected sexual misconduct to appropriate officials...

Retaliation

It is unlawful (illegal) and a violation of DCCCD’s Sexual Misconduct policy to retaliate against an individual for:

• alleging sexual misconduct;
    • supporting a person bringing a complaint or grievance;
    • opposing sexual misconduct;
    • assisting in providing information relevant to such a claim; or
    • participating in any grievance process on campus or with a government agency.

If you believe you are being subjected to retaliatory behavior for filing a complaint of sexual misconduct or participating in the investigation of such a complaint, please contact your college Title IX coordinator.....

If you have experienced any type of sexual misconduct and/or harassment; if it has happened to you or someone you know, or suspect that it is being done to someone, it is your obligation to report it. If you see something, say something. Please contact:

Latrenda S. Thomas
    Interim Title IX Coordinator
    Title IX Administrator
    ADA Coordinator
    972-761-6852
    TitleIX-RLC@dcccd.edu

Complaint Incident Report Form
    For additional information, you can also visit: title-ix-sexual-misconduct
    I can tell folks why people at Richland don't report things. Nothing gets done in most instances and if the college does take action they make things absolutely miserable for those that do the right thing and make a report. I reported the women who had brought what she said was a pound of pot onto campus to numerous authorities. The alleged drug dealer blamed the female student who refused to date her. The student who refused to date her went through hell on campus for months. The alleged drug dealer came back for another semester and only left when she realized the men on campus who were much younger than she was wouldn't date her either. Richland rolls out the carpet for troubled students who aren't serious about school, but clearly are there to party.
    Last edited by Soapboxmom; 12-30-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The troubled student had been to a 4 year college, then come to Richland, and had supposedly auditioned and was accepted to yet another 4 year college to finish her music performance degree. Mysteriously, this student ended up back at Richland yet again claiming most of her credit hours didn't transfer. Well, any music hours she took at that point I can guarantee wouldn't transfer as she was way over music hours on any degree plan.

So, she had no legitimate reason to be in the music department and Derrick Logozzo put her back in knowing that she had been causing issues previously. After the pot incident and numerous run-ins with the campus police, Richland Administrators still kept her in the program. As I noted before, she only left Richland when she couldn't get people, her Wind Symphony buds, to go get wasted and party with her. There are bars on Greenville Avenue for those that want to find a party.

Richland has an obligation to serve students that have special needs and challenges. All students should be welcomed to further their educations. But, for students who are not on a certificate or degree path, there is no reason to have these troubled students on campus when their only reason for being there appears to be to solicit dates and socialize. This student had very serious issues and individuals outside of campus made reports to the campus police and administration. Her fellow students had every reason to feel they were not safe with her on campus.

It is supposed to be a real serious music department and not the circus that it has turned into!

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My husband tackled me to the ground and pinned me there for quite some time because I was depressed and thought about cutting myself. He isn't here and now that my adrenaline has worn off I am in severe pain. I don't know what to do......

Hey guys and dolls. Im a married year old woman who is currently confused. I have always classified as bisexual however, recently due to many other unfortunate issues going on in my marriage I find my self sexual aroused by women again. A LOT. Well the arousal never really went away.

Anyways I am here trying to figure myself out.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Richland advisors, obviously excluding Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan, are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. The first thing the real advisor questioned when my daughter went for help to register for this spring was why she had so many music hours. My daughter explained that Derrick Logozzo had put her in all that music crap. Logozzo tells everyone that they can do multiple majors at Richland College and that the MUAP (private voice or instrument lessons) are cheap lessons. Logozzo doesn't discuss career options or the fact that credit hours eligible for in-state tuition and financial aid are very limited. The real advisor knew immediately that those hours were not on any degree plan and would not transfer. She dug right in and looked at attempted hours and calculated what was left to finish an Associate's Degree and was very concerned because my daughter was way over hours and will be in out of state tuition when she transfers.

The advisor also noted that anyone with more than 89 hours can have serious issues transferring. The state colleges don't have to take a student with over 89 hours and why would they want to take a student who is going to be in out of state tuition (that financial aid doesn't cover and they likely won't be able to pay) and that may exhaust their financial aid as well due to the excess hours. Placing students in credit hours over the Associate's Degree can do them serious harm. Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan should have been removed a long time ago as the records posted in this thread show that music students have been used to fill music chairs and not advised honestly.

Please note what UTD states.

Admission Requirements - Office of Admission and Enrollment - The University of Texas at Dallas

Reviewed Admission Criteria

All transfer applicants are reviewed individually and holistically. Consideration is given to factors such as:

• Cumulative GPA and overall academic coursework and performance.
    • Preparation for and ability to be successful in intended major.
    • Information provided in optional supplemental materials including a resume, essay, and/or letter(s) of recommendation.
      • While not required, we encourage all applicants to submit supplemental materials.
      • Letters of recommendation are limited to a maximum of three.
      • Applicants should respond to the Apply Texas application essay prompt.

Assured Admission Criteria

Applicants are eligible for assured transfer admission by meeting all of the following criteria:

• 42 or more transferable credit hours.
    • A minimum cumulative transferable GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
    • Fewer than 90 cumulative attempted hours between all attended institutions of higher education.
    • Applicant must be in good standing with the last college or university attended.

Or

• A Comet Connection member with a completed AA/AS/AAT.
    • A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
    • Applicant must be in good standing with the last college or university attended.

About Comet Connection

The Comet Connection is a program for Texas community college students who know they want to complete a bachelor’s degree at The University of Texas at Dallas. This unique program invites transfer students to become acquainted with the many services available to UT Dallas students while beginning to build a close association with the University. All two-year colleges in the state of Texas are participating partners in the UT Dallas Comet Connection program.

Opportunities unique to Comet Connection members:
    • Tuition Savings: Participate in the UT Dallas Guaranteed Tuition Plan.
    • Deferred Admission: Defer admission for up to 12 months.
    • Degree Completion: Transfer UT Dallas course credit back to your community college to complete your associate degree.
    • Early Advising: Meet one-on-one with UT Dallas academic advisors.
    • Career Preparation: Access to pre-health professions and pre-law advising centers.
    • Library Privileges: Use the UT Dallas Library through the TexShare program.
    • Student Discounts: Join us at campus and athletic events and get the Comet Connection student rate.

Join Comet Connection-

Step 1
    When choosing Texas community college courses, reference the UT Dallas transfer plans to guide you towards classes that will directly apply to your bachelor’s degree.

Step 2
    Join Comet Connection

• Complete a minimum of 12 hours at your community college.
    • Be in good standing with your community college.
    • Download and fill out the Comet Connection agreement form.

• Have an academic advisor at your community college sign the agreement form.
    • Return the form to the UT Dallas Office of Admission and Enrollment Services.

Step 3
    Apply to UT Dallas

• Complete a minimum of 30 transferable credit hours at your community college.
    • Submit the following documents to UT Dallas:
      • ApplyTexas application for transfer admission and official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended prior to posted deadlines.
      • Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee. You may have this fee waived by attending Preview Friday. Application fees already paid cannot be reimbursed.

Step 4
    Enroll at UT Dallas

• Declare your intent to enroll.
    • Register for transfer orientation.
    • Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor.
    • For Comet Connection members, admission is valid for 12 months from the semester of admission. Comet Connection students who plan to defer enrollment must submit a Petition for Undergraduate Deferment of Admission form, which is located under the Admission Forms folder in their Galaxy account. Deferment requests must be filed by census day of the original application term.

Lock In Your Tuition
    Please note that UTD requires the preparation for and ability to be successful in intended major. UTD doesn't put everyone that walks in the door in the program as a music major as Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan customarily do at Richland College. Students at UTD may join an ensemble while pursuing a degree that will actually lead to gainful employment. UTD carefully scrutinizes those that are over 89 credit hours. UTD will lock in tuition and get students in to transfer with the Comet Connection, but that requires meeting with real advisors at both DCCCD and UTD. The advisors will put the students in classes that will directly apply to the chosen degree. DCCCD needs to remove its advisors that are incompetent and see that students get certificates, Associate's Degrees and transfer ready!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Two-year transfers are finding not all of their credits go with them
    ...students transferring from Alamo Colleges -- the community college district serving San Antonio -- to the city's branch of Texas A&M University. There the issue is staying too long at the community college to earn a four-year bachelor's degree.

On average those students transferred into the university with 80 to 90 credits. Approximately 92 percent transferred from Alamo with 70 or more credits, although the minimum required was 45, said Cynthia Teniente-Matson, president of Texas A&M University-San Antonio. So these students are almost certain to have their credit rejected because they aren't taking the upper-division courses that would go toward a four-year degree plan.

University officials have found students are making the transfer decision too late or they're not informed, she said.

At most universities it takes 100 to 130 units to earn a degree. Students with 80 to 90 units should be 60 percent of the way toward a degree, but they're not, Teniente-Matson said. “They'll run out of institutional aid before they earn a degree.

And that could be one reason why the majority of community college students who want to earn a bachelor's degree don't do so, said Bruce H. Leslie, chancellor of Alamo Colleges.

Texas very much mimics national numbers, which show 80 percent of students at two-year institutions plan at the time they enroll at the community college to earn a bachelor's degree. Yet 25 percent actually transfer to a four-year institution within five years. (Thirty-six percent of those students do earn an associate degree or certificate first.) Of that 25 percent, 17 percent actually walk away with a bachelor's within six years of transferring, according to the Community College Research Center at Columbia University.

The transfer system can be difficult to navigate, especially for students who are either in remediation or come from first-generation, low-income families, or have some language barriers, Teniente-Matson said. “So you have a student who is trying to navigate two systems, the community college campus while also the four-year campus, and balancing financial aid. That sort of system can be complex for students," she said.

The systems can be even harder to navigate with an adviser who is working with hundreds...
    66 credit hours are the maximum that will normally transfer. So, Richland students being put into hours over the Associate's Degree / Guided Pathway are guaranteed to find transferring a nightmare if they even get that far! The graduation and transfer rates are abysmal and for Richland Music students it is no mystery why. Richland College Music students are being burned by the very advisors who are supposed to be keeping them on the path to graduation and transfer. Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan are using students to fill their music department chairs and the consequences for their advising victims are dire. Credit hours lost in transfer, financial aid exhausted and out of state tuition charged at 4 year universities can end pursuing college degree. The incompetent advisors must be removed by DCCCD and students put back into the hands of the real advisors and transfer specialists that can get them on the path to real success!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

UT-Austin Transfer Application Requirements and Eligibility

Does it sometimes feel like navigating the transfer process is like wading through a swamp? Don't get overwhelmed!
    UT defines a transfer student as anyone who has attempted or earned at least one college credit since finishing high school...

You must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA to be considered. If your GPA is less than 3.0, you will not gain admission.
    UT also discourages applicants who exceed more than 60 credit hours while pursuing a bachelor's degree at a four-year university. You must complete a minimum of 60 hours in residence at UT to receive your degree. Some programs won't look at your application if you exceed 90 hours.
    Take only the hours needed to get the Associate's Degree at Richland plus the required 4 credit hours of recital and 4 credit hours of piano and get out in two years! Universities may not take students that have more than 89 hours from a 2 year / junior college. The real advisors from Richland College count attempted hours and will keep you on a degree plan that will lead to a successful transfer and/or gainful employment. The music advisors, Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan, will put you on the never ending program of filling their music chairs at your expense!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The totally incompetent advising continues. Melissa Logan's latest advising worksheet says that recital is recommended (not required.) All real music schools require Freshman and Sophomores to take recital every semester. It is absolutely required and must be taken. The Richland College Music Department has always required it as well. Recital is not reflected in the degree plan hours at Richland or most other programs, but it is always required. This advisor has no clue what she is doing. She puts students into dozens of hours of credit classes that don't exist on any degree plan and are excess hours that put her students into out of state / Non-resident tuition and she exhausts their financial aid, but she can't get them into a class that is actually required?

The large choir, Chamber Singers, has only 28 enrolled. A few additional students may be in the Jazz Singers or the new Audiation ensemble nonsense (another way to put students in excess hours not on any degree plan on the planet.) There are a whopping 32 students taking MUAP 2281 (2 credit hour voice lessons of which 8 credits are on the degree plan and will transfer for a music major only.) 4 students are taking MUAP 1181 (1 credit hour voice lessons.) So, everyone that steps into a choir and a few more are in voice lessons. That is what is destroying the music program. It is no longer a legitimate program. NASM dictates, "as a matter of sound educational practice, institutions recruit and admit students only to programs or curricula for which they show aptitudes and prospects for success. 71 NASM Handbook 2018-19II.H., I. The institution shall inform a student promptly if it is determined that he or she is not acceptable as a candidate for a degree, certificate, or diploma,"

Richland has always had many students that are in other majors and certificate programs and plenty of community members in the Chamber Singers just to sing in that 1 class, meaning students who were not taking lessons and other music classes. I would know. I was in that very large top choir for years, left Richland with a voice scholarship and was on that scholarship at what is now Texas A & M Commerce until I completed my Bachelor's of Music. Melissa Logan making everyone a music major is going to have dire consequences. It reflects a program that has no standards for admittance and is not a real college level music program. Many will not be able to even finish the music program at Richland. Those students who have been schmoozed into a voice major by this incompetent advisor will have wasted their hours eligible for financial aid and in-state tuition for naught. That is a steep price too pay for these students and their paying parents. Logan has a handful of students that she has gotten transferred to her alma mater Midwestern State University. Those few that made it that far are way over hours and will be charged out of state tuition ($150 per credit hour for hours above 150 or so which financial aid does not cover) and could exhaust their financial aid due to her advising. One of the students she sent out there this fall had 126 hours to start with. That is more than the degree from a 2 year program. Beyond ridiculous! Logan is advising the Richland Music Department into disaster.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Students:

Happy New Year! I hope that you have had a great break and holiday season. It is going to be a great semester in Richland College Music. We are back in the offices and ready to assist you in getting started for the Spring.

If you have not done so, please get with us on your Spring Semester Plan Meeting for your Spring course schedules and other related items. Instrumentalists: contact Derrick Logozzo, derricklogozzo@dcccd.edu and Vocalists: contact Professor Melissa Logan, melissalogan@dcccd.edu.

****Reminder: You have until the evening of Wed. January 15 to have at least one credit course in your schedule to avoid being shut out of classes that start on January 21. It must be entered and paid in the system in order to add classes to your schedule after that date.

Open Auditions: For any of you who may know of someone outside of our department who would like to be in our performance courses or other music courses for the Spring, let them know to contact us. We have Open Auditions by appointment and on the following days:
    January 14 and January 22 1-4 PM
    Spring Dates to start up

• Spring Term Dates: Jan. 21 through May 14, 2020
    • Spring Orientation/Private Lesson Meetings Recital—Tuesday January 21
    • TMEA: Feb. 12-15
    • 1st Lunch Concert—Thurs. Feb. 20, Jazz Combos
    • 1st Evening Concert—Tues. March 24, SI1

Contact us as soon as possible for any of your Semester Plan needs.

Sincerely,

Derrick Logozzo, MM. Perf.
    Department Chair of Music, Richland College
    Director of Instrumental Music, Richland Wind Symphony, Big Band Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Group, & Steel Bands

Professor of Percussion, Drum Set, & Conducting
    Music Auditions and Workshops Coordinator
    Music Advisor
    Carnival of Steel Festival Host
    Richland College Music Scholarship Chair
    DCCCD Music Curriculum Committee Member
    Immediate Past President, Texas Community College Band Directors Association

Richland College Dept. of Music Office F148
    12800 Abrams Road Dallas, TX 75243-2199

derricklogozzo@dcccd.edu
    Office: 972.238.6254
    Mobile: 214.450.3466

FAX:: 972.238.3799
    Visit us online:
    www.richlandcollege.edu/music
    www.richlandcollege.edu/carnivalofsteel
    and on Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/RichlandCollegeMusic
    www.facebook.com/RichlandCollegeChoir
    www.facebook.com/RichlandCollegeCarnivalofSteel
    NASM Accredited

Please read the excerpts quoting Vice President Donna Walker:

Concern: Derrick Logozzo is registering students in excessive hours in music ensembles.

o Response: Guided Pathway advisors are available to students to be advised for core classes and to register for their classes. Music coordinators are available to advise students for music classes. Guided Pathways advisors may register them, or students may register themselves for their courses. Music coordinators have been instructed to follow the Guided Pathway and may not require students to enroll in courses outside of the Guided Pathway.The Guided Pathway indicates that students are not required to enroll in more than 4 semester credit hours MUEN and 8 semester credit hours MUAP to complete that component of the Field of Study in Music. Should students choose to take additional courses, they have the option to enroll in continuing education sections of MUEN and MUAP and not accrue credit hours. Non-degree seeking students may enroll in credit or continuing education sections of music courses. Student enrollments will continue to be monitored to ensure alignment with the Guided Pathway.

· Concern: It’s a conflict of interest to have the faculty advise students
    · Response: Music faculty are the content experts and will only advise students for music courses. Music faculty will not register students for music or core classes. Guided Pathway advisors will be available for students to be advised for core classes prior to enrolling in music classes. Students and Guided Pathway advisors will register students for music and core classes.
    Concern: Students should be told that CE is an option

o Response: Students have been informed that CE sections of music are an option if students wish to pay CE tuition as opposed to accruing credit hours. CE will set up notifications in the course schedule that concurrent sections of music classes are available on demand for student registration for fall 2019.
    · Concern: Music faculty should be using the degree plan for the four-year institutions to determine how many ensembles, private lessons, and music classes students should be enrolled in as well as following the guided pathways to the letter
    o Response: Students will be advised according to the Guided Pathway for the Field of Study in Music.
    o
    o The Guided Pathway indicates that students are not required to enroll in more than 4 semester credit hours MUEN and 8 semester credit hours MUAP to complete that component of the Field of Study in Music. Should students choose to take additional courses, they have the option to enroll in continuing education sections of MUEN and MUAP and not accrue credit hours. Non-degree seeking students may enroll in credit or continuing education sections of music courses.

"Music faculty will not register students for music or core classes," says the VP. So, students should not go to Logan or Logozzo, but straight over to general advising, Career Services and the Transfer Center where they follow the Guided Pathway / Degree plans to the letter so students won't exhaust their financial aid and end up in out of state tuition and make sure that they are fully and honestly informed about everything.

"Student enrollments will continue to be monitored to ensure alignment with the Guided Pathway,"says the VP. Well, yes I am monitoring and posting the records and the dirty music advisors are still going completely rogue and putting students into dozens of hours that are not on the Guided Pathway / Degree Plan.

And, very few CE (Continuing Education) sections of music classes were made available when all of the MUAP, MUEN and recital should have been, so students that are over hours will not accrue any more credit hours.

I am vigorously pursuing this with the Richland Administration and DCCCD board. I will not rest until the errant advisors are removed and the students advised honestly!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its the sheep to the slaughter at Richland. Another music victim just signed up for 4 credit hours of MUAP (private lessons) when only 2 is on the degree plan and will transfer and 3 MUEN hours when only 1 will transfer. An anonymous source tells me that the errant advising is in fact a district wide problem. Will DCCCD fire the dirty advisors that are filling their department and personal class chairs and create a bloodbath for taxpayers that don't even know they are paying for classes that will not transfer and lead nowhere? Will DCCCD fire these dirty advisors that continue to waste students credit hours eligible for financial aid and put them in out of state tuition at a 4 year college when they transfer? I have made more Open Records Request and will continue to expose the malfeasance in DCCCD. The mad mother is going to take out the bad guys hurting our students!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The music department is in total chaos and confusion. Traditionally, recital was required for anyone taking a private lesson (MUAP.) A student would be signed up for 1 (MUAP of 2 credit hours,) with the co-requisites of 1 MUEN (ensemble) and then recital. Now, the music department is a free for all. No one seems to know what to do. Students who do need recital are not showing up on the roster because that incompetent and totally clueless advisor, Choir Director Melissa Logan, is now babbling about and publishing on her course guide that recital is only recommended (optional) when in fact 4 semesters are required for music majors. Students who are not music majors and that can't transfer it should not take it with out of state tuition looming. Those that already have 4 credits should not take it as it will not transfer and excess hours are a serious concern.

Students that will be transferring need exactly 4 semesters of recital and no more. Since Logan and Logozzo have kept their students away from the real advisors in Thunderduck Hall and the Transfer Center, there are gobs of students that have and are taking excess recital hours. Of course, students are still being signed up for numerous excess hours of ensembles and private lessons as well that won't transfer and serve no other purpose than to exhaust their financial aid and put them at risk of paying out of state tuition when they transfer.

Melissa Logan and Derrick Logozzo should have been removed long ago and the real advisors should be the only ones seeing students. I recommend that any student in recital that does not need it to transfer join me and drop it. That is totally predatory and dishonest to make some students take it when others are not having to take it. As I said, this is total chaos and confusion. These credit hours cost money and time. Students should not be tricked into paying for hours that won't transfer. Why is the DCCCD administration not getting all students to qualified advisors and following degree plans? DCCCD has been sued numerous times, including over fees that are charged. Do they think the students they have ripped off with excess hours that keep them in school longer, exhaust their financial aid and put them at risk of having to pay out of state /non-resident tuition when they transfer are going to do nothing when a big fight over fees was waged?

DALLAS COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT v. BOLTON II | FindLaw

Love some Bunny! I do!

16. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Derrick Logozzo has put students back into the program that skipped class more than half of the time and missed a performance last semester. Attendance in all the music classes and ensembles is abysmal. There were a number of students who routinely missed class and sauntered in late when they did bother to come to the college. So, Richland apparently passes every warm body that registers and the program literally has no standards.

Real music schools that are accredited don't operate like this. Attendance is expected and after only a few absences students are failed and their days as music students come to an abrupt end. And, these Richland students are still in numerous ensembles and hours of music crap that are not on any degree plan, will not transfer and waste their credit hours eligible for financial aid and in state tuition. The Music department uses them to increase the numbers, burns them out and the administration and DCCCD board keep looking the other way.

Richland's program is not legitimate and does not compare in any way to that at a real university. Following are exceprts from UNT Handbooks. How long are the taxpayers going to have to fund this circus show?

Last edited by Soapboxmom; 01-16-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let's talk numbers.

Total Number of students enrolled in Recital Class = 89 (anyone taking private lessons / MUAP is required to enroll in this class)
    The degree plans / Guided Pathway have students in 1 MUEN (1 credit hour ensemble) and 1 MUAP (2 credit hour private lesson)
    Around 15% or so of those enrolled in MUEN are not music majors and not enrolled in lessons and recital.

MUEN Enrollment Numbers:
    Big Band Jazz 22
    Jazz Combo 9
    Guitar 13
    Steel Band 17
    String Orchestra 25
    String Orchestra 9
    Wind Symphony 38
    Chamber Singers 45
    Composition 10
    Audiation Choir 13
    Percussion / Woodwinds 15
    Audiation Strings 17
    Chamber Strings 16
    Jazz Singers 16
    Fusion 12
    Opera Workshop 21
    -------------------------------------------

MUAP Enrollment Numbers:
    Half Hour (1 Credit Hour) Lessons Hour (2 Credit Hour) Lessons
    Violin 1 14
    Viola 1 4
    Cello 3 8
    Double Bass 1 5
    Electric Bass 3 5
    Flute 1 2
    Oboe 0 0
    Clarinet 2 4
    Saxophone 1 1
    Trumpet 2 3
    French Horn 0 1
    Trombone 1 1
    Baritone 1 2
    Tuba 0 2
    Percussion 5 10
    Drum Set 1 10
    Guitar 9 18
    Piano 17 20
    Voice 15 33
    Bassoon No instructor
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    62 286

The 89 recital students are in an average of 3.9 credit hours of lessons when they should be in just 2 credit hours of lessons. If we assume 15% of ensemble enrollees are not in recital and we take that number out of the total ensemble enrollment, then the 89 recital students are in 2.8 ensembles each when they should be enrolled in a single ensemble. That translates into quite a few students in 3 or 4 ensembles and totally overwhelmed and careening toward loss of financial aid and out of state tuition when transferring. The music advisors must be removed and the music program fixed to conform to the degree plans of the real colleges so students can transfer successfully.
    Last edited by Soapboxmom; 01-20-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: number of enrolled students dropped

Love some Bunny! I do!

19. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

VP Donna Walker and many more were informed months ago that the voice Master Class should be a studio class that is integrated into the voice lessons as every other college on the planet does. It is not for music majors, not on any degree plan, will not transfer and puts these music students closer to loss of financial aid and out of state tuition. No student should be paying for this class that doesn't exist or adding more credits to the $hitload of excess hours they have already been tricked into taking by Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan. As only 60-66 hours transfer, it is imperative that students not take more than the 4 MUEN and 8 MUAP hours in the degree plan / Guided Pathway. The responses quoted below are those of VP Donna Walker.

Concern: There are not many students that only take ensembles and no lessons or other music classeso Response: Correct.

· Concern: Students should be told that CE is an option
    o Response: Students have been informed that CE sections of music are an option if students wish to pay CE tuition as opposed to accruing credit hours. CE will set up notifications in the course schedule that concurrent sections of music classes are available on demand for student registration for fall 2019.
    · Concern: Music faculty should be using the degree plan for the four-year institutions to determine how many ensembles, private lessons, and music classes students should be enrolled in as well as following the guided pathways to the letter
    o Response: Students will be advised according to the Guided Pathway for the Field of Study in Music.

· Concern: Derrick rehearsals going beyond the end time
    o Response: All full-time instructors have been instructed by the executive dean to ensure that classes end on time. Music coordinators have been instructed by the executive dean to ensure that their part-time instructors end classes on time.

• Concern: It’s a conflict of interest to have the faculty advise students
      • Response: Music faculty are the content experts and will only advise students for music courses. Music faculty will not register students for music or core classes. Guided Pathway advisors will be available for students to be advised for core classes prior to enrolling in music classes. Students and Guided Pathway advisors will register students for music and core classes.
      • · Concern: Eastfield enrolls students in 1 MUAP, 1 MUEN, and recital as MUAP co-requisites and that should be standard practice
        o Response: This has also been the practice at Richland College
        · Concern: The number of ensembles should be determined by the four-year degree plan or the Guided Pathway
        o Response: The Guided Pathway indicates that students are not required to enroll in more than 4 semester credit hours MUEN and 8 semester credit hours MUAP to complete that component of the Field of Study in Music. Should students choose to take additional courses, they have the option to enroll in continuing education sections of MUEN and MUAP and not accrue credit hours. Non-degree seeking students may enroll in credit or continuing education sections of music courses.

MUSI 1183 Voice Class I 1 Credit Hours (2 classes)
    Course Description for MUSI 1183

MUSI 1183 (1 Credit Hours)
    Voice Class I

This is a Texas Common Course Number.
    Course Description: This course is for non-voice majors. It presents the principles of breathing, voice production, tone control, enunciation, and phrasing in two group lessons a week. This course may be repeated for credit. (2 Lab.)

Coordinating Board Academic Approval Number 5009085126
    View Catalog Entry View Catalog Entry

Course-Num-Sect(Reg#)
    Title
    Class Meeting
    Information
    Faculty Information Loc
    Credits
    Start / End Dates
    Open Seats / Capacity
    Class
    Features
    Links
    Richland College [RLC] - MUSI 1183 Sections
    MUSI-1183-83002 Class Syllabus for MUSI-1183-83002 (1244987)
    Voice Class:voice Master Class Add Class
    F176
    LAB

R
    12:30 PM - 01:50 PM
    Griffin-Dyer, Beverly / Vita View the Vita for Griffin-Dyer, Beverly RLC
    Jan 21, 2020
    May 14, 2020
    (16 weeks)
    Open Seats: 11
    Capacity: 30
    eCampus Course Description View Course Description for MUSI 1183
    Find Class Availability Find Class Availability for MUSI-1183-83002
    Class Syllabus (PDF) Class Syllabus for MUSI-1183-83002
    Textbook Info Textbook Info for MUSI-1183-83002
    Comments:
    Note: Required for voice majors and students enrolled in MUAP 1181 or MUAP 2281. Contact Director, Melissa Logan, 972.238.6284 melissalogan@dcccd.edu Email Instructor for placement.
    MUSI-1183-83003 Class Syllabus for MUSI-1183-83003 (1244988)
    Voice Class: Voice Master Clas Add Class
    F289
    LAB

R
    12:30 PM - 01:50 PM
    Arduino, Natalie / Vita View the Vita for Arduino, Natalie RLC
    Jan 21, 2020
    May 14, 2020
    (16 weeks)
    Open Seats: 15
    Capacity: 30
    eCampus Course Description View Course Description for MUSI 1183
    Find Class Availability Find Class Availability for MUSI-1183-83003
    Class Syllabus (PDF) Class Syllabus for MUSI-1183-83003
    Textbook Info Textbook Info for MUSI-1183-83003
    Comments:
    Note: Required for voice majors and students enrolled in MUAP 1181 or MUAP 2281. Contact Director, Melissa Logan, 972.238.6284 melissalogan@dcccd.edu Email Instructor for placement.

This program is totally predatory. The administration has lied about the program and is not implementing the changes that were promised in writing. Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan are not following degree plans or the parameters set forth by the administration. I will not sit idly be while students are still being advised into complete disaster by dishonest advisors and administrators that want to fill chairs and increase numbers at the expense of trusting students.

Love some Bunny! I do!

21. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MUAP Enrollment Numbers:
    Half Hour (1 Credit Hour) Lessons Hour (2 Credit Hour) Lessons
    Violin 1 14
    Viola 1 4
    Cello 3 8
    Double Bass 1 5
    Electric Bass 3 5
    Flute 1 2
    Oboe 0 0
    Clarinet 2 4
    Saxophone 1 1
    Trumpet 2 3
    French Horn 0 1
    Trombone 1 1
    Baritone 1 2
    Tuba 0 2
    Percussion 5 10
    Drum Set 1 10
    Guitar 9 18
    Piano 17 20
    Voice 15 33
    Bassoon No instructor
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    62 286

The other tragedy behind these numbers are the incredibly gifted adjuncts who all hold Master's and Doctoral Degrees in Music. They are only paid for contact hours. Richland is collapsing due to the dirty advising and disorganization. With the lack of facilities and broken pianos, there are not spaces to properly conduct lessons and not near enough practice rooms for the students to get adequate practice time in. These adjuncts are being asked to come out for few students.

The viola teacher has only 4 hours of lessons a week. The flute teacher comes out for only 2 1/2 hours a week. One saxophone teacher is scheduled for an hour a week and the other has me for 1/2 an hour a week. The trumpet teacher is getting only 4 hours a week. The French horn teacher has an hour a week. The 2 trombone, baritone and tuba teachers each have only 3 hours a week. The percussion teacher in addition to Logozzo has no students. Two of the guitar teachers have only an hour a week. A piano teacher comes out for only 2 1/2 hours a week. The lone bassoon student does not have a teacher. Many of these teachers drive to Richland College in Dallas, TX from Forth Worth or Denton.

The program is a complete mess. DCCCD needs to combine and fine tune their seven colleges' programs so that there are real music offerings that follow degree plans and get students transfer ready in 2 years.
    Last edited by Soapboxmom; 01-19-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Love some Bunny! I do!

23. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: NASM Accredited??? DCCCD Richland College Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan Out of State Tuition Nightm

The semester is off to a disastrous start in the music department.

Registration ended on Wednesday January 15. Derrick Logozzo snuck in at least two students today. That is totally unethical. Other students who wandered on campus were not allowed to register for classes on the first day like Logozzo's chair warmers were. Logozzo has gone totally rogue.

Several of us dropped recital class. Those transferring need 4 credits exactly as that is what Freshman and Sophomores at real schools would take. Traditionally anyone taking a lesson (MUAP) had to take recital. As the music students are routinely put in excess hours that lead to financial aid being exhausted and out of state tuition upon transfer to a 4 year Texas university, it is absolutely vital no one be put in a single hour that won't transfer. Not to mention that students are kept in what is supposed to be a 2 year program for 3-4 years routinely as well and many will still lack core hours they should have to transfer as they are drowning in music crap. Melissa Logan, professor for the recital class and choral /voice advisor, stated in her paperwork that recital was recommended (i.e. optional.) So, some of us that could dropped recital today and I will encourage everyone else who can't transfer it to do the same. It is totally unfair to make the instrumental students pay for a class when Logan's choir students aren't required to do the same. I have a baccalaureate degree and do not need any more recital and a daughter that is in out of state tuition when she transfers. We dropped so we can put those dollars toward the out of state tuition our family is facing due to Logozzo outright lying to all the students and advising them into his music chairs to their great detriment. I am fed up with the dirty advising that is harming students, their paying parents and the beleaguered taxpayers.

One of the students in the program has another major but was really looking forward to doing a particular ensemble and taking lessons with the instructor for that instrument. That student also got dumped into recital and then Logozzo kept pushing him to add yet another ensemble he didn't want to do and can't transfer plus add in percussion lessons. Logozzo tells the students that they should be taking all this nonsense and that they need it. If it isn't on the degree plan, then they shouldn't be taking but a few hours of something special being mindful not to risk financial aid or out of state tuition. The student felt very uncomfortable telling Logozzo no thank you. These students feel they should trust their advisors and feel obligated to do what they say. Logozzo and Logan are predators of the worst kind. They are using these students to fill their music chairs with no regard to what is in the best interest of these students. These dirty music advisors should have been removed long ago as the students cannot trust them and aren't comfortable telling them no.

Attendance is abysmal in the Music Department as students that are overloaded with ensembles, music lessons and more crap that won't transfer end up burned out. Though many are passed and retained in the program when no other school would do so, some do so poorly that they actually fail Music Theory and that has catastrophic consequences. Failing a required music class like theory adds another long year to that student's time at Richland. I blame Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan for this. They refuse top follow the degree plans and do not send students to Career Services, the real advisors and the Transfer Center so they can be put on a reasonable schedule. They also neglect to see that students understand the tremendous amount of work a music degree really is. The 1 instrument or voice lesson should translate into a minimum 4 hours a day of practice. Piano proficiency should also translate into at least 1 hour or more a day of practice. Theory and Ear Training require hours a week of hard work. The music schools are competitive entry so good grades in core classes are also a must. It is time for some real effective leaders to be brought in to clean up this horrific mess and set this program on the right course. The chair filling routine has pretty much destroyed this program.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: NASM Accredited??? DCCCD Richland College Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan Out of State Tuition Nightm

Search Quick Links

Main Menu

TCC | Success Within Reach

Return to: Catalog Search
    AART.D003.UG
    Offered at South, Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Trinity River Campus
    Program Requirements

First Year

Fall Term

Spring Term

Second Year

Fall Term

Spring Term

Total Degree Hours: 60

* Mathematics and Life and Physical Sciences electives must be chosen from the Core Curriculum.
    NOTE: To be core complete, take KINE 1164, one class from the Social and Behavior Science core and a second class from the Life and Physical Science core.

Return to: Catalog Search

Tarrant County unlike Richland runs a legitimate program that will lead to successful transfer with no excess hours to put one in danger of out of state tuition and loss of financial aid. Why are Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan not following the Guided Pathway the administration ordered them to follow that closely mirrors this?

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

3 of the 24 students in Music Theory III are back at Richland at the endless party on the taxpayers dime, but not in Music Theory IV. Two of the students have said that they failed Theory III and I am sure the other student failed it as well. One of those students is in their 6th year as a mostly full-time student. One is in their third year as a full-time student. The other student started in the summer right out of high school and is drowning in hours of music garbage in their second full year. All have been in numerous ensembles, lessons and for the voice major the voice masterclass that will not transfer. Students in 4 ensembles and numerous lessons often do poorly in Music Theory and their core classes. These students are in so much crap that is not on any degree plan that they have no time to study and practice. All are well into out of state tuition and 2 of them have already exhausted their financial aid eligibility at Richland and will have very few hours of financial aid eligibility left at a 4 year university.

The Music Theory classes are only offered once a year. So, after putting these students into Fundamentals of Theory, which is not a college level course and not transferable, these dirty advisors have already added a year to the students studies or in one case a summer filled with excess hours. Now, these students will be stuck at Richland for another year. All as is standard practice only for these dirty music advisors, Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan, have been put in virtually no core classes, They will end up with ridiculous numbers of hours ( likely as many as would be in a 4 year degree while attending this mess of a two year program) that will put them into out of state tuition for most of their time at the 4 year university where they can complete their studies and long before they graduate end up with no financial aid available due to those excess hours. As they will also be lacking core hours that they should have taken at Richland, they will be likely be stuck at the 4 year college for yet another 3 years to complete their degrees resulting in tens of thousands of dollars in debt. A 7 year degree????

I blame Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan for these students ending up in this complete mess. If Logozzo and Logan followed degree plans and were not over loading students they would have time for the classes they need to transfer and could be out in two years. This chair filling to the detriment of these students will end!

CORE CREDIT HOURS FOR THIS AA DEGREE

REQUIRED MUSIC ENSEMBLE FIELD OF STUDY COURSES

Select FOUR semester hours from the following:
    MUEN 1121, 1122, 1123, 1131, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1151, 1152, 1153, 2123, 2141
    (Courses may be repeated for credit.)
    APPLIED STUDY

I. Select EIGHT (8) semester hours in the major applied area of study of the following:
    MUAP 1101, 1105, 1109, 1113, 1115, 1117, 1121, 1125, 1129, 1133, 1137, 1141, 1145, 1149, 1153, 1157, 1158, 1161, 1165, 1169, 1177, 1181, 2201, 2205, 2209, 2213, 2215, 2217, 2221, 2225, 2229, 2233, 2237, 2241, 2245, 2249, 2253, 2257, 2258, 2261, 2265, 2269, 2277, 2281
    (Courses may be repeated for credit.)

II. Applied/class piano
    MUSI 1181, 1182, 2181, 2182; MUAP 1169, 2269, 2369
    THEORY/AURAL SKILLS

Select EACH of the following:
    MUSI 1116, 1117, 1311, 1312, 2116, 2117, 2311, 2312
    TOTAL CREDIT HOURS REQUIRED FOR THIS AA DEGREE 60

Note: State universities are required to accept only 60 hours in transfer; therefore, it is strongly suggested that students check with their receiving university regarding the acceptance of any credit hours over the 60-credi-hour maximum.
    CORE CREDIT HOURS FOR THIS AA DEGREE
    Students affected by the 30 hour rule
    Students who started Fall 2006 and thereafter and attempt 30 or more semester credit hours beyond the hours required to complete their degree could be charged tuition not exceeding out-of-state tuition rates for these excess hours. Students who have not selected a major are considered, by state law, to have degree requirements of 120 hours.
    Last edited by Soapboxmom; 01-25-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In addition to the 3 students that failed Music Theory III, Derrick Logozzo retained at least 4 students that had skipped classes for weeks on end and put them right back in as music majors. The program is simply not legitimate. No real music school retains students that cannot succeed in the program and those that do no have excellent attendance.

There is also the tragic case of a student that will have taken approximately 157 credit hours by the end of this semester, but will not have completed even the 32 core hours that are required for the Associate's Degree in Music (other Associate's Degrees require 42 core hours leaving the student "core complete.") This student has exhausted financial aid at Richland. All attempted hours count so this student will have almost no hours of financial aid available at a 4 year university and will already have so many excess hours that they will be charged out of state / non-resident tuition (what little aid they have left will not cover out of state tuition at a Texas university.)

The National Association of Schools of Music requires that a real accredited music school only admit students to the program that and I quote "as a matter of sound educational practice, institutions recruit and admit students only to programs or curricula for which they show aptitudes and prospects for success....The institution shall inform a student promptly if it is determined that he or she is not acceptable as a candidate for a degree, certificate, or diploma,"

Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan have turned this program into a complete disaster and harmed so many students!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A student in the music department was complaining that they wanted to drop a class that department head and rogue advisor Derrick Logozzo teaches. That class is just another of many he has registered that student for that is not on their degree plan and is putting them into out of state tuition and exhausting their financial aid. Another student reminded them that it was the last day to drop without is showing on their transcript. The unhappy student who is careening into out of state tuition and loss of financial aid replied that the class couldn't be dropped because, and I quote, "he won't let me." That he is Derrick Logozzo, the advisor from hell. VP, Donna Walker stated in response to my concern:
    Music faculty are the content experts and will only advise students for music courses. Music faculty will not register students for music or core classes. Guided Pathway advisors will be available for students to be advised for core classes prior to enrolling in music classes. Students and Guided Pathway advisors will register students for music and core classes.
    Logozzo is still registering music students for piles of music garbage that is not on any degree plan and won't transfer. And, the students are afraid to ask him to drop them from classes that he put them in that they don't want or need and shouldn't be in. These students don't know enough to say no in the first place, go in themselves drop the classes he put them in that they don't want and shouldn't be taking or get to the real advisors for help.

One of Derrick Logozzo's students recalled him saying that a Richland student had transferred to a Texas State University with 168 credit hours and that they didn't have to pay out of state tuition. Logozzo needs to be removed and until competent music advisors can be trained and brought in to run the department, Logozzo and Melissa Logan need to be barred from any contact with students. All students need to be sent to the real advisors and the Transfer Center immediately for help. Richland is a hellhole.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had another heartbreaking encounter with one of the many victims of Derrick Logozzo's dirty advising. This student is in Music Theory II and Ear Training II and really struggling. This student is in Piano Class II and struggling. This student did not participate in band, choir or orchestra in high school and has basically no music background whatsoever. This student that is struggling in piano class II thought that piano could be their principal instrument. This student can't play the major scales and didn't know what cadences are. This student is totally lost in the music classes. When I dug deeper and asked about their career goals, it turns out that this student is a music major intending to complete a music composition degree.

This student is years and years away from gaining the piano skills necessary to reach concentration or performance level playing (and very likely will never reach that level,) which is required to enter a music composition program. Not to mention that a Bachelor's in music composition is not exactly the kind of degree that leads to gainful employment. One does have to eat after all.

Derrick Logozzo and Melissa Logan continue to fill chairs with armies of totally unqualified music majors by making almost every warm body that enters the music building a music major. That is dishonest and totally predatory. These students are trapped by these dirty advisors and get no career guidance and are never told the tremendous amount of work and commitment involved to succeed in music. They are just put in dozens of hours that won't transfer, exhaust their financial aid and land them in out of state tuition. Only a handful of the students at Richland will be able to succeed as music educators in the public school system and only a tiny fraction of a percent will ever make a living as performers. These advisors are destroying countless lives.

All students should go to Career Services, real advisors and the Transfer Center. Real 4 year college music programs will give students the facts and have strict standards of admittance to their programs so students will not be wasting their instate and financial aid eligible credit hours on music nonsense that will go nowhere. Real schools also require attendance, unlike Richland that retains music majors who don't even attend class half of the time and skip performances. I sit in ensembles where only half of the class is in attendance on some days. Richland's music program is not legitimate. The National Association of Schools of Music states:
    As a matter of sound educational practice, institutions recruit and admit students only to programs or curricula for which they show aptitudes and prospects for success. 71 NASM Handbook 2018-19II.H., I.

f. Student retention policies must be:(1) Appropriate to the purposes of the institution’s curricular programs;(2) Clearly defined;(3) Published for students and faculty; and(4) Applied with rigor and fairness.

g. The institution shall inform a student promptly if it is determined that he or she is not acceptable as a candidate for a degree, certificate, or diploma.

h. The institution shall maintain accurate, up-to-date records of each student’s educational progress, including courses taken, grades, repertory studied, performances associated with degree or program requirements, and the results of other appropriate evaluations.
    UNT states:
    For Piano Concentration (composition, music education, BA in Music) a live audition is preferred. All recorded auditions must be video (see College of Music application for details). The concentration audition must include a Prelude and Fugue of Bach, one sonata
    Richland claims:
    higher education that actually gets you hired!
    ..... my a$$!!!

The taxpayers are taking a bloodbath thanks to this dirty fake music program!

Love some Bunny! I do!

30. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post